NAS Questions

Jonza

I am thinking of buying a NAS as you can maybe tell if you saw my previous thread, I am looking in to this NAS right here or a WD one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-RN10400-100EUS-ReadyNAS-Network-Attached/dp/B00BJ1BGB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429980260&sr=8-1&keywords=Netgear+NAS

I am wondering if this can handle around 4 1080p streams.

I also want to know If I buy this and say buy two 4TB HDD's for a total of 8TB can I add another 2, 4TB hdds later on? or would this cause problems ect?

Hey RealCereal,

Thanks for your reply can you recommend a similarly priced NAS or is this one good enough?

Kind Regards

-Jonathan

As long as you have gigabit connected to it yes.

and yes no issues if u add more later on

Hey RealCereal,

Thanks for your reply can you recommend a similarly priced NAS or is this one good enough?

Kind Regards

-Jonathan

Considering the CPU and RAM on that NAS, I'm not sure if it can really handle 4 Full HD streams...

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

What nas would you recommend

You get what you pay for - I doubt that you'll find something in that price range that can stream four 1080p streams simultaneously.

Personally I think Synology and QNAP have the best NAS systems out there, but like I said: for what you (apparently) want, you'll probably need to dig a little deeper into your pockets.

Something like a Synology DS415play or a QNAP TS-469L or so should work, but again: not for that price.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

I am thinking of buying a NAS as you can maybe tell if you saw my previous thread, I am looking in to this NAS right here or a WD one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-RN10400-100EUS-ReadyNAS-Network-Attached/dp/B00BJ1BGB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429980260&sr=8-1&keywords=Netgear+NAS

I am wondering if this can handle around 4 1080p streams.

I also want to know If I buy this and say buy two 4TB HDD's for a total of 8TB can I add another 2, 4TB hdds later on? or would this cause problems ect?

Hey TehJonny,

I am not sure if that particular one can handle four 1080p streams. In addition to what @DirkW suggested I could suggest to check out WD My Cloud EX4 and WD My Cloud EX4100. They should meet your needs and handle four 1080p streams. Here are a couple of links: 

Have in mind that after adding more drives to the system, depending on the RAID type, it should rebuild itself or it would reformat. I would suggest keeping a backup of your data just in case when expanding the number of drives. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I'm a big fan of the QNAP NAS boxes.  I have 2 of them:  TS-451 (celeron 2.41GHz dual core with 4GB of ram - 4 bay) and the TS-420 (ARM 1.6GHz and 512 MB or ram - 4 bay)  The 451 handles all my media, torrents, back ups, VM's and site hosting.  The 420 handles all my surveillance (2 IP cameras) and is my redundant backup for my data.  The 451 also has an HDMI port and I use it in my theatre room for my projector.  Everything is connected to a Gigabit switch and uses CAT6 cable.

I like them because I feel I get the most value for my money.  I have an iPhone and can control/monitor from anywhere in the world.  I started out with 3 3TB WD Reds in the 451 and expanded to 4 TB in RAID5 giving me just over 8TB of usable space.  I have 2 x 3TB WD Reds in the 420.  Expanding the RAID was no problem - just took a while as I have a lot of data.

Here is the link to the 451:  https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product/model.php?II=143

The recommendations that Captain WD made are good ones.  Just do your research.  

In my opinion, the 451 gives you a lot more punch (celeron vs. ARM) for the same money and the ability to upgrade your ram (upgradeable to 8GB) and has the HDMI so it can double as an HTPC like in my instance.  The throughput is almost double the ex4100.  451 is capable of 5x 1080p streams simultaneously.  I have only every tried 3 at the same time and didn't have any problems.

Without any hesitation, I recommend that you ONLY use WD Red NAS drives.  Been through many other NAS drives and will never go that route again.  I don't work for QNAP in any way - I'm just a very happy customer!!

My $0.02

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0