Poll! When people ask you how much they should spend on a custom build what price do you give them?

ThisIsMyWorkAccount

Title mostly. I get asked often what people should pay for parts for a custom build, just curious what the community would say.

the person in question would probably have a topic something like:

"Hello Linus Teck Tips forum! Sorry if this is the wrong section but im new and loojing at building my own Desktop PC. I have a mouse/keyboard/screen/headphones, and mic. So all I need is the tower.  I want to play the latest games like Bf4 and gtav.  Want to spend as liitle as possible!

SORRRRRYYYY AGAIN IF THIS IS THE WRONG SECTION!"

EDIT: Assume they are in the USA, so American dollars and prices.

I'd say it really just depend on their intended usage.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just enough money for the damn thing to work

oh my h80i broke

FFFFFFFS

I'd say it really just depend on their intended usage.

Most peope who ask this repetitive question usually just want to play the latest AAA games.

$800 with a used GPU and a cpu/mono/ram combo is my go-to suggestion.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

For just the system, I recommend at least $500, but preferably $750+.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

To PLAY the games without necessarily maxing them out, 500$ is what I would say. 400 are enough but you'd be making compromises I don't necessarily recommend.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd say $1000 with $1500 at the most for a rig that isn't false economy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The more you can afford the better computer. that is the answer i give them.

More is always better unless it is herpes ;)

CPU: I7 4790K GPU: Manli GTX 980 Mobo: Asus Gryphon z97 RAM: kingston Hyper x fury 16GB 1866mhz PSU: EVGA supernova 750W G2 SSD: Samsung 840 evo 500GB HDD: WD Black 3TB Case: Parvum s2.0 Fans: Noiseblocker E-loop 800rpm Cooling: Custom water cooling

I feel like $800-900 is the gaming sweet spot for 1080p/maybe 1440p

If its just for office work I think $550 or so is good.

I generally use tomshardware's sbm and then go a little lower because I deal hunt and generally can build a better system for less money. Do, around $600 if I really try and $800 if I don't.

800 since is the peak of the performance vs price curve so to speak, but I try to sell an upgrade path if that is not an option.

EDIT: In fact 3dmark fire strike game me a nice visual representation of the top of said curve, afterwards it makes less and less sense to spend more and more for less performance:

gallery_55326_1514_12956.png

-------

Current Rig

-------

800 since is the peak of the performance vs price curve so to speak, but I try to sell an upgrade path if that is not an option.

Same here, upgrade path is more important than initial price. (which means no FM2+ right about now *shots fired*)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

about $800

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Either as little as you need to or as much as you want to...to be honest, assuming you make sensible choices, there's really no in-between. :0/ :shrug:

Edit: But that's just my personal perspective :0/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I would say $1000, but compared to how everyone doesn't include the monitor and the OS, I'll say $800.

About $800, that seems to be where the bang-for-the-buck sweet spot is.

i5 and what ever the best $200~ GPU is out at the time.

$1,000 if they want an SSD and a bit better GPU.