Quick clarification of Power limit %

Toxicable

For over clocking GPUs in afterburner the %power limit is the same as increasing the voltage when OCing a CPU right?

Kinda, its just increasing the maximum amount of power that the GPU can use, its not setting the voltage to a fixed amount.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

GPUs have a certain TDP that they normally refuse to go over, because the coolers are only guaranteed to handle that amount of dissapation.

increasing the power limit is giving the card permission to go above the TDP (thermal design power). sometimes it can do nothing, but sometimes your card will limit itself when overclocking to keep it within this limit, and increasing the limit may help.

if you are overclocking, crank the power limit slider to the max first.

if you play a game and then come out of it and look at afterburner and see the power tab is all the way up at 100 (looks like the images i posted) then up the power limit if its no where near it then your all fine 

hp8MF.png

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER