corsair RM 650 came with the wrong power plug.

iPhantasy

My corsair RM 650 came with the Chinese power plug... Is it safe to use in my system if I buy an adapter? I live in the US

Technically yes, I wouldn't. I'd use a different cable.

I'm thinking about just taking it back and buying an ax power supply instead. I don't want to take it back to get a replacement just to have the same problem again.

I'm thinking about just taking it back and buying an ax power supply instead. I don't want to take it back to get a replacement just to have the same problem again.

*shrug* The plug at the back of the power supply is the same for all countries last time I checked, it's just the cable that varies. So you should be able to take any* ATX power cable and use it.

*not the el cheapo .2V rated things that are only good for starting fires

dont all power supplys use the same power cables? I have atleast 10 laying in my house for assorted monitors and such. you can probably get the right cable for dirt cheap

*shrug* The plug at the back of the power supply is the same for all countries last time I checked, it's just the cable that varies. So you should be able to take any* ATX power cable and use it.

*not the el cheapo .2V rated things that are only good for starting fires

I'm assuming all the internals are the same and what not. I might just buy a cable.

I'm assuming all the internals are the same and what not. I might just buy a cable.

They are, it's cheaper to build a power supply that works at all voltages than region specific.

My corsair RM 650 came with the Chinese power plug... Is it safe to use in my system if I buy an adapter? I live in the US

Did you order from some Chinese Website? If yes, do be careful. In case it's a knock off.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Did you order from some Chinese Website? If yes, do be careful. In case it's a knock off.

I got it from Frys.

dont all power supplys use the same power cables? I have atleast 10 laying in my house for assorted monitors and such. you can probably get the right cable for dirt cheap

Yes but there are differences. On my old XFX PSU I wasn't using the cable that came with the psu and the cable was so hot I burned my hand on it. Literally it was that hot.

It couldn't take the power.

Pretty sure that was a monitor cable even though it does the same job.

Always go for the thickset cable you have at your house if you are scrounging for one.

Or just use the one that came with your psu!

Also Ill tag OP if he plans to buy a new cable himself @iPhantasy

Buy a nice thick cable!

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

They are, it's cheaper to build a power supply that works at all voltages than region specific.

I managed to find a cable that fits, BUT it's 125V vs the one that came with the power supply which is 250V. Does that make a difference?

I managed to find a cable that fits, BUT it's 125V vs the one that came with the power supply which is 250V. Does that make a difference?

If there's no switch on the back for the voltage it automatically detects the voltage and adjust accordingly.

Yes but there are differences. On my old XFX PSU I wasn't using the cable that came with the psu and the cable was so hot I burned my hand on it. Literally it was that hot.

It couldn't take the power.

Pretty sure that was a monitor cable even though it does the same job.

Always go for the thickset cable you have at your house if you are scrounging for one.

Or just use the one that came with your psu!

Also Ill tag OP if he plans to buy a new cable himself @iPhantasy

Buy a nice thick cable!

I'd love to use the one that came with the psu. The thing is, it came with a cable that's made for a different country.

I'd love to use the one that came with the psu. The thing is, it came with a cable that's made for a different country.

You don't have to use the cable that came with your psu, just buy one that is thick enough for you psu.

Here is the right one I used for my old XFX PSU. (which just happened to be a 650W)

dlojyd.jpg

Nice and thick, this is what you should go for.

And here is a comparison of the wrong thin one I used verses the correct thickness one:

zjazv4.jpg

As you can see there is an obvious difference in thickness of the cable. This is what matters in terms of power and safety etc.

Project Cobalt: 

Asus M5A97 R2.0

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Just buy one on amazon or something that is appropriate thickness and your good.

Project Cobalt: 

Asus M5A97 R2.0