970/980 Is price going to drop?

desertcomputer

By any chance at end of this year the 970 or 980 going to drop in price... it like 800 bucks for 980 in Australia. Right now the 970 is still like 500 bucks it really expensive compare to the states. How much do you think the price will drop to or it wont at all.  

Magical Pineapples

i guess once the 1000 series is released

or if the raedeon 300 series wipe the floor, then they will drop to compete

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

It has just been going up here in Canada

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

i guess once the 1000 series is released

or if the raedeon 300 series wipe the floor, then they will drop to compete

Usually Nvidia and Intel dont drop prices when a new series launches.

Look at the 780 and the 780ti

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

If the 300 series makes the 900 series its bitch then they will drop the price.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Isnt the 300 series coming out next year? of it this Mid year?

Magical Pineapples

Isnt the 300 series coming out next year? of it this Mid year?

There set to release in the next few months. Where did you hear next year ?lol

By any chance at end of this year the 970 or 980 going to drop in price... it like 800 bucks for 980 in Australia. Right now the 970 is still like 500 bucks it really expensive compare to the states. How much do you think the price will drop to or it wont at all.  

The price isn't gonna drop for a while.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I am kinda sick of hearing people complain about stuff being so expensive in other parts of the world. That is because the US dollar is worth more. See:

sk8nRbr.jpg

g9lA71P.jpg

So If you were to compare the 970 price in the US to that in australia, it is only really like $60 more there considering the difference in the dollar value.

There is also a thing called the Australian tax for Australians. No its not a real tax. But even with working out the exchange we get charged more because they can. I shop at umart which is about the cheapest place you can go (everyone agrees on this) but still the cheapest 970 is about 500.  a 980 your looking at 799... It really depends on the brand how much of a Australian tax we get. I5 retails for 235 in the us we pay 335. some brands are really good others not so much.

Example the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Cards retails for 334 us converted that is 430 but retails at a wholesaler for 519 go anywhere else and your looking at 560ish +

I am kinda sick of hearing people complain about stuff being so expensive in other parts of the world. That is because the US dollar is worth more. See:

So If you were to compare the 970 price in the US to that in australia, it is only really like $60 more there considering the difference in the dollar value.

"Only $60 more" says the rich man

There is also a thing called the Australian tax for Australians. No its not a real tax. But even with working out the exchange we get charged more because they can. I shop at umart which is about the cheapest place you can go (everyone agrees on this) but still the cheapest 970 is about 500. a 980 your looking at 799... It really depends on the brand how much of a Australian tax we get. I5 retails for 235 in the us we pay 335. some brands are really good others not so much.

Correction: the everyone-but-north-American tax.

I remember a video talking about PS4/Xbone launch prices - an xbone was almost $700 when converted from £ (£430), yet retailed for $500 USD

Australians also need to realize that they live under a very protectionist regime, hence the general higher prices. Also, Brazil.

If you are paying $300+ for a graphics card, $60 isn't the end of the world.

It's almost a 20% increase. How is that not significant?

60 Dollar Can almost pay for internet or a month....

Magical Pineapples

If you are paying $300+ for a graphics card, $60 isn't the end of the world.

100% agree, people often talk on shows, radio etc about living on what a American lives on as on average we get paid more (not saying Americans are poor just saying your the rule everyone measures themselves against for economy). But you guys pay less for things. I think looking at it from a percentage perspective of how much say 1 graphics cards cost compared to a weeks or even a years salary on average there would be little difference.

whether that's the right way to look at it is beyond me. I'm just saying on paper it might seem largely unfair but in reality its not that bad.

-----------

as for the cards coming down in price, I would think not unless the 300 series is mind blowing, even then I don't think they would drop the price so much that people wished they waited.

nvidia prices never drop. there are sometimes sales however..

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It's almost a 20% increase. How is that not significant?

970/980 is enthusiast.  If you can't afford an extra $60 spread out over 2 years you probably shouldn't be buying enthusiast level hardware.

@Yoyomah20 & @orcinhell both make valid points however there are other factors to take into account.

Let's take that $60 price difference for example and have a look at what else plays into that. Firstly as the Australian dollar is lower, it costs more for Australian companies and consumers to ship products from overseas (when operating under a USD exchange rate, as most international monetary exchanges do), into Australia. So let's say for example the costs of ordering a bunch of cards from the supplier works out at approximately $20 a card for a bulk order. If companies were selling the card dollar for dollar with the US price, the company would be making a loss of $20 per card, which is not economically sound business unless you're trying to clear out old inventory. Thus the costs of shipping is passed on to the consumer in the price of the product. This applies to all goods imported from overseas.

Secondly, a business must also generate a profit large enough to pay it's employees. Manual labour, packing, inventory management etc. these are all additional costs that need to be funded in one way or another, and that must be also paid for indirectly by the consumer. For arguments sake let's say this equates to another $20 added on to the price of the card. Considering that the minimum wage for adults (casual work) can be over $20/hour, this is fairly reasonable.

Finally a business still needs to maintain a profit to be financially viable and avoid bankruptcy. They need additional profits to pay shareholders (if it is a public company) and additional funds to order new inventory, etc.

Whist these figures I've given are hardly accurate for the actual amounts for these factors, you can see that this $60 price increase doesn't come out of nowhere, there are reasons for it. Now I will agree that some products and companies do place an 'Australia tax' on things. This is particularly true of enthusiast and consumer products of social marketing significance/name brand products. For example the iPhone 6 plus works out $147 more expensive here in AU when ordering directly from the Apple website. I don't see a price hike of that amount completely justifiable even when factoring in the reasons given above, I may be wrong, but there is some element of getting charged more because they know we will pay for it. However this is also related to another factor of economics - the relationship between demand and supply (as demand increases against a static or decreasing supply, the price will increase respectively). So even though that significant price hike is not entirely proportional (for lack of a better word), there are some economic principles that factor into it.

I will note that there is one particular area of the Australian market that is consistently subject to the 'Australia tax' for no reason at all - digital goods. When it comes to digital goods, nearly everything is automated, from the transaction, to the delivery, to the download. Yet there can be absurd price hikes greater than 50% in comparison to US prices even when factoring in exchange rates. Aside from ISP/download server costs, (which are more expensive in AU just because Optus and Telstra can), there is very little I can think of contributing to an increased comparative cost.

tldr - increases in the cost of physical goods is largely subject to economic forces. Increases in costs of digital goods is predominantly due to the 'Australia tax'

Edit: In regards to 970/980 price drops, I'd say we'd see at most a drop of $50 on the 970 and $100 (although I highly doubt it) on the $980 at the launch of AMD 300 series cards. With the way the current market shares stand, Nvidia doesn't have much incentive to drop prices for a couple of reasons - they know people will buy their cards regardless, and they almost certainly don't want AMD's market share and profits to fall even more. If they undercut the price of AMD cards, they'll be putting themselves in a position where AMD could possibly go bankrupt, and as the only real competitor for them, if this were to happen, Nvidia would be subject to a monopoly situation where they would be subject to multiple monopoly laws and whatnot in pretty much every developed country. Intel would also be subject to the same situation, which would be detrimental for both consumers and the company.

The only other price drops I'd foresee are at the release of a new Nvidia product and would be entirely dependent on the retailing company, who may or may not want to lower prices to get rid of old stock. Like when the price of Titan Z's was slashed from $3000 to $1500 by retailers such as Mwave Australia to clear out the inventory of those cards prior to the 900 series release.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10;