Am I going to regret buying this?

Counter-Strike Player
Go to solution Solved by bob345,

The internal bay is unpainted. Here's an example of what I'd like to see in the inside of the of this usb bay, a grounding wire and screw for you to attach to an available metalic screw hole somewhere around the case bay: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329887-28-front-panel-replaced-ground-wire-- that guy replaced his entire front panel and found somewhere good to screw in the ground screw.

In your instance, the usb bay uses a metal frame vs the plastic one shown in the link. In essence, the metal case will be doing the same thing as that wire if the plastic  one.

Seeing as my ATCS 840 case has no USB 3.0 connectors (but still a floppy 3.5" drive slot :lol:) and my Sabertooth z87 will be coming tomorrow (build-log anyone?), I was shopping around for USB 3.0 drive bay adapters and found this, pic:

post-38705-0-45616300-1429553404.jpg

The main thing I'm worried about is a lack of a ground connection. I've had an antec case before that would literally reboot the entire system (not a joke) if you didn't ground yourself first and touched one of the usb ports if you plugged-in a usb drive or something, discharging some static electricity into the port, which is bad. I found that buying generic brands are either the best thing in the world, or the worst...never in between.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

yes

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Seeing as my ATCS 840 case has no USB 3.0 connectors (but still a floppy 3.5" drive slot :lol:) and my Sabertooth z87 will be coming tomorrow (build-log anyone?), I was shopping around for USB 3.0 drive bay adapters and found this, pic:

attachicon.gif61hixqczinL._SX522_.jpg

The main thing I'm worried about is a lack of a ground connection. I've had an antec case before that would literally reboot the entire system (not a joke) if you didn't ground yourself first and touched one of the usb ports if you plugged-in a usb drive or something, discharging some static electricity into the port, which is bad. I found that buying generic brands are either the best thing in the world, or the worst...never in between.

If you need USB3 ports, there is no harm in trying. If not then save your money.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

they will be grounded through the connector. You should not have to worry about issues with that.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just 2 ports? Get something for pci slot, or just with more usb 3.0 ports.

There's native USB 3.0 ports on the back of the mobo, but I can't tell you how nice it is to have ports in the front, especially on my 27kg case. The pci-e cards go for ~20$ anyway so I thought $10 is a nice convenience charge :) 

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

they will be grounded through the connector. You should not have to worry about issues with that.

I really hope so, it's weird thinking about a motherboard connector dissipating an esd to a ground connection somewhere else on the mobo.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I really hope so, it's weird thinking about a motherboard connector dissipating an esd to a ground connection somewhere else on the mobo.

Any esd will likely be dissipated in the case before it reaches the motherboard. If you want to be 100% certain that there will be no grounding issues, you can sand off a bit of paint on the case and usb bay where it attaches to the case. Most electronics also have spark gaps built into them to prevent esd damage, so its not as much a hazard as you might think with new parts. Its only when directly handling parts like the cpu and ram where esd can cause real damage as those individual parts usually dont have built in protection.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Any esd will likely be dissipated in the case before it reaches the motherboard. If you want to be 100% certain that there will be no grounding issues, you can sand off a bit of paint on the case and usb bay where it attaches to the case. Most electronics also have spark gaps built into them to prevent esd damage, so its not as much a hazard as you might think with new parts. Its only when directly handling parts like the cpu and ram where esd can cause real damage as those individual parts usually dont have built in protection.

The internal bay is unpainted. Here's an example of what I'd like to see on the inside of the of this usb bay, a grounding wire and screw for you to attach to an available metalic screw hole somewhere around the case bay: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329887-28-front-panel-replaced-ground-wire-- that guy replaced his entire front panel and found somewhere good to screw in the ground screw.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

The internal bay is unpainted. Here's an example of what I'd like to see in the inside of the of this usb bay, a grounding wire and screw for you to attach to an available metalic screw hole somewhere around the case bay: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329887-28-front-panel-replaced-ground-wire-- that guy replaced his entire front panel and found somewhere good to screw in the ground screw.

In your instance, the usb bay uses a metal frame vs the plastic one shown in the link. In essence, the metal case will be doing the same thing as that wire if the plastic  one.

attachicon.gif61hixqczinL._SX522_.jpg

For $10, it's not that much money, you won't be digging into your pockets if you buy it, ( I hope you won't D:)

i say go fo it

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

For $10, it's not that much money, you won't be digging into your pockets if you buy it, ( I hope you won't D:)

i say go fo it

It should be here tomorrow, along with the rest of my build...post-38705-0-60330200-1429581447.png :)

...including the g3258. :) Can't wait to push that baby past 1.4v. Linus convinced me to buy it because of this video (Warning: scari :ph34r:)

post-38705-0-24036400-1429581920_thumb.j

γνῶθι σεαυτόν