Another 980sli vs Titan X thread... but ONLY for 4k

Currently gaming on a GTX 980 clocked to 1.5ghz. unsatisfied with its performance at 4k. I am aiming for 60fps on Vsync.

Considering SLI GTX980 however I am worried about hitting 4gb, its already happening in some games and I don't want to have to upgrade for at least another 12 months.

I realise the GTX980 SLI will be more powerful than the Titan X however the Titan X alone, overclocked, seems very capable of reaching high frame rates at 4k. and in another 12 months I could SLI Titan X's if I wanted more performance...

What do you think?

ps: I hate AMD drivers and had a bad time with crossfire r9 290's - I am hesitant to SLI however I see most people love their SLI systems, I am very sensitive to micro stutter, it makes me feel sick... but if the stutters are less than 20ms I can't tell.

pps: I use an oculus rift for racing games, frame latency is mission critical but one 980 seems to be good enough

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I'd go for Titan X since you're worried about SLI issues and running out of vram.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i like the titan x better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

unicorn rainbow 390x fam

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

3-Way SLI bruh !

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

My vote is for the Titan X on the basis of 12GB of VRAM; you'll need it. You're going to cut it really close (if not exceed) 4GB at 4K, (this is especially true if you decide to get more than one monitor). Even if you decided to SLI the 980's, once you max out your VRAM, more GPU power won't solve your problems. 

As you said, you can add a second Titan X later on, but you can cross that bridge at your discretion. 

Decided to sell my GTX980 and buy a Titan X - time to start saving.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Decided to sell my GTX980 and buy a Titan X - time to start saving.

I just want 2 EVGA Titan X's but they are never in stock.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

• 5 weeks later...

time for more votes... im still saving up the gap fund required to move from a 980 to a titan x

980 sli is going to be better than a Titan X.  Unless you're going to be buying a second Titan you're going to be disappointed in the performance at 4K.  I have not had any problems with VRAM limitations, but if you're worried about that I would wait a month until 980TI comes out and get 2 of those. 

R9 390X ? Wait until June and re-weigh your options if the R9 390X is what it appears to be it will shart on the Titan X :P So just hold off until the end of June but if I was to pick Single TiX 

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

R9 390X ? Wait until June and re-weigh your options if the R9 390X is what it appears to be it will shart on the Titan X :P So just hold off until the end of June but if I was to pick Single TiX

I have my doubts about the 390x not in its performance but I've read on several websites the initial release will be a 4gb card.

obviously we won't know until it comes out but if it is I'm hopping on the titan band wagon as I can't wait for them to release a 8gb version when they want to make a few more pennies.

edit.. sources http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/amd-confirms-4gb-limit-for-first-hbm-graphics-card/

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I have my doubts about the 390x not in its performance but I've read on several websites the initial release will be a 4gb card.

obviously we won't know until it comes out but if it is I'm hopping on the titan band wagon as I can't wait for them to release a 8gb version when they want to make a few more pennies.

edit.. sources http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/amd-confirms-4gb-limit-for-first-hbm-graphics-card/

Fiji already confirmed 8GB HBM with modified interposer. The name, price and performance are unknowns though.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I don't know 8Gb of HBM was confirmed a while ago, some say only on there Dual GPU some say on both. It has been confirmed so it's only a matter of will the release it soon or a few months after 3XX release.

also "and as rumoured, the company is limited to a total of 4GB for its first-generation HBM product." :P Until AMD do an official statement I won't be having it.

Fiji already confirmed 8GB HBM with modified interposer. The name, price and performance are unknowns though.

I don't know 8Gb of HBM was confirmed a while ago, some say only on there Dual GPU some say on both. It has been confirmed so it's only a matter of will the release it soon or a few months after 3XX release.

also "and as rumoured, the company is limited to a total of 4GB for its first-generation HBM product." :P Until AMD do an official statement I won't be having it.

im thinking its 4gb... unfortunately... looking at the AMD slides concerning the tech it shows 4 HBM stacks in several slides... given its 256mb per layer, and 4 layers per stack, I think we might be looking at 4gb, unless AMD are being very sneaky

I have sli 980s and so far 4k gaming is working great.  Granted I bought a gsync 4k monitor just in case the frames drop.  I can play gta and keep 50+ frames (mostly 60) and not notice any stutter.  I have pretty much everything maxed out and it works great.  Also tried other games such as Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Witcher 2, Max Payne 3 and a few others and all those games ran 60fps maxed out except Witcher 2 due to ubersampling which I was getting 45fps.

Sell your 980 and wait for 980TI

INTEL I5-4670K | ASUS Z87-A | CORSAIR 16GB Vengence | EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 | CORSAIR RM850

im thinking its 4gb... unfortunately... looking at the AMD slides concerning the tech it shows 4 HBM stacks in several slides... given its 256mb per layer, and 4 layers per stack, I think we might be looking at 4gb, unless AMD are being very sneaky

Yeah, I posted before learning about the latest "reveal/rumour" about 1st Gen HBM confirmed as 4GB only. 

My money is on the dual link interposer being real to get 8GB with HBM 1.0, but maybe not for Fiji's initial launch. It's not without precedent to launch with 4GB, and later release an 8GB card.

The other possibility is that the dual link interposer has to do with a dual GPU version that was dubbed Fiji VR earlier this year. Maybe they needed the DLI to get 4GB for each chip. That's a strong possibility as well, unless I'm missing something.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I had two 780 Tis and got a Titan X. Get a Titan X. 12GB of VRAM will mean that you'll never have to worry about VRAM limitations for another 3-4 years. Plus you won't have to worry about stutters or complications due to SLI profiles. If a game is new or not that big, your other card in a 980 SLI set up will be for looks. 

With my Titan X at 4K I usually see 4.5-6.5 GB of VRAM consumption on recent AAA titles. 

Agreed, AMD were sneaky with the 8Gb 290X if I remember correctly I really hope they release and 8Gb version or at least let Sapphire or MSI do it specifically Sapphire.

I mean Two / Three 4K+ screens would look nice with 8Gb of HBM and even given it's 3x faster than regular GDDR I would like to see some triple 4K setups on the new AMD line or even just 1440p

dreaming of tw3 4k @ 60fps... think ill need two titans for that though...

titan x

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ