If this chip had hyperthreading, it would be so much better.

That won't happen

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Anyone tested GTA v on Athlon?

CPU i3 4160 MoBo B85M E45 GPU ASUS GTX750TI OC 2GB
RAM HYPERX 8GB 1866 PSU Enermax 650w CASE TT H23 WINDOW

I've had hands on with several different chips, but not as many as you apparently. 

Examples? BF3 does weird stuff on a dual core, like AI not being there, crashes, etc.

Dragon age: Inquisition doesn't run on a dual core, have fun playing multiplayer in a BF4 game, Minecraft of all things, does not run the worst, but does not run great either. 

Games don't like dual cores, and for general use, a "quad core" will be better than 3258. 

Disproven.

Every game I've ever tested works except for Far Cry 4 (unless you pirate it, then it works fine), the worst situation is two games give you a popup saying "Warning, blah blah blah dual core CPU" you press yes and then enjoy 60+FPS on High settings with your budget GPU (GTX 750, 760, 960, R9 270, etc).

Like I keep saying. I have first hand experience here and evidence to back that up. This chip is astounding compared to the competition as it delivers the best IPC of any CPU under $280 (The 4690k is the ONLY close CPU that beats it's IPC at over $200 more) and almost every game every will gain more performance through high IPC vs 4/6/8 weak useless cores (Vishera, Kaveeri, etc.)

Yes. If the chip had Hyperthreading it would be better. But an unlocked i3 would literally kill the i5 market and Intel isn't a company that makes a habit of killing their own market.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT

Download MSI Afterburner, run the program that comes with it called RivaTuner Statistics Server, set the frame limiter to 40 and the stuttering should go. Any more question, DM me. I run GTA V on my G3258 perfectly fine :)

Thank you so much! This really helped

Anyone tested GTA v on Athlon?

Me 860K @ 4.3GHz. Works really good (40fps when going super fast and 60 in desert with vsync) and it has no stutters. 

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Thank you so much! This really helped

Welcome. I find that the latest patch makes it so I can limit the FPS to 50 with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I run GTA V with a G3258 at 4.4 GHz fine in single player with 40 fps. But once I play online, the game froze once every 10 seconds. I checked to see if its my internet but it was perfectly fine playing other games. So is it because i'm running on a duo core? SETUP: Pentium G3258 4.4 Ghz, R9 270x, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Intel Dual-Core Pentium G3258 4.5 GHz

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970

that GPU deserve a much better CPU...i recommend you look for an i5 to replace it. (i5-4460 for example)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I run GTA V with a G3258 at 4.4 GHz fine in single player with 40 fps. But once I play online, the game froze once every 10 seconds. I checked to see if its my internet but it was perfectly fine playing other games. So is it because i'm running on a duo core? SETUP: Pentium G3258 4.4 Ghz, R9 270x, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Yes.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Yeah, i have an R9 270 nas a pentium, Bf4 runs on 30 GPS on low, with CPU load at 100%, gpu never at 100%,and the stutters are real.

I am  MCCCXXXVII

Spend $40 more and get AMD FX-6300 Vishera blows the Pentium out of the water. It ain't the 90s anymore Pentiums are low end now.

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

Part of the problem for the pentium, is that GTA 5 loads textures an awful lot like minecraft does. Decoding those textures as they spawn in is brutal on those two cores, and you will notice that most of the people running uncapped framerates on the G3258 end up with invisible buildings and see-through floors. Limiting the frame rate to 40fps helps remove this, but you still end up with the stuttering that occurs when the CPU hits 100% usage. This cannot be avoided on the G3258, i've thrown everything at it in an attempt to remedy this. 4.7ghz OC, OC'd GTX 770, lowered resolution down to 720p and it still maxes the CPU out. The cores really are the limitation here.

There comes a time where one must realize that a $60 CPU is going to perform like a $60 CPU in some scenario's. While we got a ton of mileage out of these G3258's for most situations, we have to understand that if it could max every single game ever, then there would be no need for the higher tier CPU's in the first place. When you run into these problems, it's time to upgrade. As always, i have to give @i_build_nanosuits credit for his spot on advice. Get a cheap i5, and enjoy all modern games.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

In Christmas I will be getting a basic i5, and stay with my r9 270

I am  MCCCXXXVII

I bought GTA V hoping that my dual core pentium G3258, was sufficient with my overclock beeing 4.5 GHz. But when i run the game my average fps in the city is around 30 fps, no mater what my graphics settings are (exept for MSAA and anti-aliasing then they'll dip way below). Naturaly I jumped to the conclusion that it was my CPU that was lagging behind, but in LinusTechTips' new video about GTA V (vessel.com) they test GTA V on a dual core, and get 51 fps.

I was just wondering if it could be possible to get my game running with a average fps preferably around 40-50 (or higher of course :)).

My setup:

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970

8 Gb ram

They're not using a G3258; they're using an i7-5960x with cores and threads disabled, but it still has a monster 20 MB L3 cache while the G3258 has a small 3MB L3 cache.

Honestly, I don't understand why every benchmark shows games working so well on the G3258, when in real-world it sucks. Are they getting paid by Intel to advertise these numbers? My friend also has a G3258 with an R9 290, and I can tell you for sure it's the fault of the GPU, because in GTA 5 he also gets around 30FPS driving around the city, with a LOT of noticeable stuttering and lag. Meanwhile my Phenom II X6 + with a weaker 7870 (R9 270) can get 45+ FPS at the same settings.

Too many people fell for the G3258. Two cores is not enough for AAA gaming.

Average framerates can be reasonably high numbers on a Pentium. When your framerate oscillates between 40 and 100 constantly, that average can be pretty high even though it feels awful. At least that was my experience using a G3258 + GTX 970.

Which is why Intel will never release an unlocked i3. It would be an incredible budget gaming CPU and so many people would buy it instead of an i5.

Average framerates can be reasonably high numbers on a Pentium. When your framerate oscillates between 40 and 100 constantly, that average can be pretty high even though it feels awful. At least that was my experience using a G3258 + GTX 970.

Why. The hell. Would you match a 970. With a G3258.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Why. The hell. Would you match a 970. With a G3258.

I had a G3258 from a non-gaming system I built, and later decided I wanted to get a better CPU and a GPU to make it into a gaming system as opposed to buying a console. The 970 I wanted went on sale a week before I had the money to get the CPU I wanted too (Xeon E3-1231v3), so I bought the 970 a week early and used it with my G3258 for about a week and a half until I got my Xeon. It was interesting seeing firsthand how awful a combination it was for new games, though I knew it would be. The only relatively new game that played worth a crap was Bioshock Infinite, which actually played perfectly with 100% GPU usage at the stock 3.2 GHz clock.

I had a G3258 from a non-gaming system I built, and later decided I wanted to get a better CPU and a GPU to make it into a gaming system as opposed to buying a console. The 970 I wanted went on sale a week before I had the money to get the CPU I wanted too (Xeon E3-1231v3), so I bought the 970 a week early and used it with my G3258 for about a week and a half until I got my Xeon. It was interesting seeing firsthand how awful a combination it was for new games, though I knew it would be. The only relatively new game that played worth a crap was Bioshock Infinite, which actually played perfectly with 100% GPU usage at the stock 3.2 GHz clock.

I'm sure Tomb Raider 2013 would have played great too, it seems to be a very GPU Heavy game, and the CPU doesn't seem to matter.

I even managed to play through the whole thing on a Q6600, as well as Bioshock infinite. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Yeah thats true.

The pentium wont run the game ay any satisfactory framerate.

It is one of the most cpu heavy games on the platform , get an i5 OP lol.

What did people expect really , its a massive open world game.

The G3258 is a good chip, but people who insist on making it do things it is not intended for give it a bad name.  Frankly I'm impressed that it runs GTA V at all.

There is no free lunch, a $70 dual core pentium cannot be expected to properly run games that require a quad core.

I'm sure Tomb Raider 2013 would have played great too, it seems to be a very GPU Heavy game, and the CPU doesn't seem to matter.

I even managed to play through the whole thing on a Q6600, as well as Bioshock infinite. 

Nah, TR actually played pretty lousy. The ingame benchmark ran great with full GPU usage, but without 3 hardware threads the GPU usage was pretty awful in actual gameplay. The game was constantly fluctuating between 40 fps and 100 fps.

The G3258 is a good chip, but people who insist on making it do things it is not intended for give it a bad name.  Frankly I'm impressed that it runs GTA V at all.

There is no free lunch, a $70 dual core pentium cannot be expected to properly run games that require a quad core.

I think the G3258 is definitely a nice chip for an email/internet/video box like you'd build your mother or something. It was fine for me doing that kind of stuff, solving differential equations in MATLAB, doing development of small projects (though I wouldn't want to use it to compile an operating system, for example), etc. I honestly can't notice any difference between it and my Xeon E3-1231v3 for any of the uses I previously mentioned, though it is of course night and day better when it comes to compressing a video or playing modern AAA games.

I bought GTA V hoping that my dual core pentium G3258, was sufficient with my overclock beeing 4.5 GHz. But when i run the game my average fps in the city is around 30 fps, no mater what my graphics settings are (exept for MSAA and anti-aliasing then they'll dip way below). Naturaly I jumped to the conclusion that it was my CPU that was lagging behind, but in LinusTechTips' new video about GTA V (vessel.com) they test GTA V on a dual core, and get 51 fps.

I was just wondering if it could be possible to get my game running with a average fps preferably around 40-50 (or higher of course :)).

My setup:

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970

8 Gb ram

From my experience GTA V is quite CPU heavy. All 4 cores + HT cores of my Xeon are at about 70%.

Running it with a 280x at very high settings avering at around about 60fps.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I think the G3258 is definitely a nice chip for an email/internet/video box like you'd build your mother or something. It was fine for me doing that kind of stuff, solving differential equations in MATLAB, doing development of small projects (though I wouldn't want to use it to compile an operating system, for example), etc. I honestly can't notice any difference between it and my Xeon E3-1231v3 for any of the uses I previously mentioned, though it is of course night and day better when it comes to compressing a video or playing modern AAA games.

We have one, and the kids use it for plenty of gaming - Planetside2, Heroes & Generals, TF2, and a lot of less demanding titles.  Right now it is as limited by it's GPU (a 7790) as by the CPU.

It (OC'd to 4.4 GHz) does better in many AIDA64 benchmarks than my stock i7 860, but it does struggle in situations where multiple cores or hyperthreading matter.

A CPU is a tool, and like any tool you will get the best out of it if you understand it's capabilities and limitations.

Nah, TR actually played pretty lousy. The ingame benchmark ran great with full GPU usage, but without 3 hardware threads the GPU usage was pretty awful in actual gameplay. The game was constantly fluctuating between 40 fps and 100 fps.

TR is an insanely nice optimized game. My 580 ran at 100% all the time, now obv. with a xeon but it gave a very constant fps and really nice graphics beeing playable at lower framerates.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG