Verizon: Data caps are good for you

spartaman64

Wow. I hardly know where to begin with this.....

Sorry, as much as the fat pigs online, the massively large data users, don’t want you to agree, Verizon is right about unlimited data being bad for most people (link to article).

Fat pigs online.....that's a great way to start. Let's generalize right away, painting the opposing viewpoint in an unflattering light, and giving your readers a negative view of them, that they will carry through the rest of the article. Meanwhile, you've also alieneated anyone of the opposing view. Why would they even be motivated to read your point of view, or take that point of view seriously, since it appears to them that you are already biased. Good job.

From that article :

users are very well served by current wireless data plans, and really don’t require more. So, while unlimited data may sound attractive, there is no practical effect of data limits on the majority of users”

There are very practical effects of data caps. One is stifling of innovation, and threatening the open nature of the internet. If someone designs the next “killer app”, whar happens if the app happens to require ¼ of your data cap in a given month if you wanted to download it. Would you be willing to risk that? If you ended up not liking the app, then you're out of luck on that data used. What if you're a developer? How likely are you going to develop that next app if you know that (touching on your Net Neutrality statement) Apple or Facebook could tweak your idea, and because they have the money to pay, and ensure that their traffic won't count against a data cap, they could release it, and have it become massively successful?

From Shammo's conference in '12 when data share was introduced : "LTE is our anchor point for data share. So as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto a data share plan. And moving away from, if you will, the unlimited world and moving everyone into a tiered structure/data share type plan.
So when you think about our 3G base, a lot of our 3G base is unlimited. As they start migrating to 4G they will have to come off of unlimited and go into the data share plan. And that’s beneficial for us for many reasons, obviously".

Money. The only reason that the “share” plans were introduced was to drive profits.

"Most people are much better off paying less for a data cap they’ll (sic) never exceed”

OLD PLAN – NATIONWIDE CONNECT

1 person – 450 minutes, Unl. Text, Unl. Data - $ 69.99

MORE EVERYTHING Unl. min, Text, 1 gig of data - $70.00

Would you pay the same, to go from UNLIMITED to 1 gig?

One mb over, and it's an extra $15.00

1 person – 900 minutes, Unl. Text, Unl. Data –$ 89.99

Save $20 to go from 900 minutes to Unl. but CUT YOUR DATA from UNL to 1 gig?

Again...$15.00 overage.

1 person – 1350 minutes, Unl. Text, Unll Data –$ 109.99

Save $40 to go from 1350 minutes to Unl but cut your data from UNLIMITED to 1 gig?

Again...$15.00 overage.

Or unlimited everything for $129.99. The More Everything gets you 1 gig for 70, but that only gives you 4 gigs in overages. So....Unlimited, or 5 gigs for the same price?

Or you could get a 4 gig plan.....for the same price...and worry about overages.

OLD PLAN – AMERICAS CHOICE

1 person – 1000 minutes, 500 messages, Unl. data - $70.00

Or for 70 bucks the SE gets you 1 gig of data. No thanks.

“Most people are much better off paying less for a data cap they’ll (sic) never exceed” ........I wouldn't want to be in a position where I even had a data cap to worry about exceeding.

You see, unlike the wealthy kids who are running Bittorrent and streaming mommy’s 4k Netflix all day instead of going to work (What? I think that you're making broad generalizations here. I'm sure that there are people that are working....and because they work for that money, they have an incentive to spend it in the wisest way possible. I'm pretty sure that wanting to pay the least possible, for the most return is a fiscally conservative thing to do.), I actually commute with the common folk, and I see what they do with their phones most of the time. Very low data use. (Yes, for now...but it's going to increase. Using Netflix on the bus ride to work, or streaming Pandora in the car on vacation, ect..) Email, texting, games, Facebook. Trying to get those people to pay for unlimited (they don't pay for unlimited if they don't have an unlimited plan. They pay for the data up to their cap (plus possible overages), if it's on a 2 gig share plan, or an older individual 4 gig (double data) plan) is just the high data users asking to be subsidized by the masses (how does having “cap exempt” music on a carrier subsidize the masses? I'm referring to the techfreedom article.) by forcing poor people onto more expensive plans (link to article) (nothing in that article said anything about forcing people onto expensive plans) instead of narrowly tailored ones.

Then people on limited plans do not pay for unlimited. They pay for their own data plan. They do not subsidize the unlimited users.

The Jedi mind tricks are strong with this one. I think I'll keep using 30GB of data each month anyway.

Wait WHAAAAT??!! 

I didn't realise phone plans in the US cost so much, here in the UK I pay 12.90GBP ~$20 per month for unlimited 4G 60/40. The prices across the pond are ridiculous! 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Wait WHAAAAT??!! 

I didn't realise phone plans in the US cost so much, here in the UK I pay 12.90GBP ~$20 per month for unlimited 4G 60/40. The prices across the pond are ridiculous! 

We pay $150 a month for 3G/4G and (it depends on what your router can handle) for 25GB, and $85 a month for 15GB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They have already been paid billions to upgrade their network, so the fuckers have no excuse for data caps and shit internet speeds.

To quote myself as well, neither does Telstra, 4 billion dollars funding for infrastructure from the government, and apart from a couple of slight upgrades, fuck all was done and Australia is still low on the Internet speed rankings. (There was a case against Telstra, but apparently their wasn't enough evidence so it was dropped).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Glad I live in the UK. Data is capped on mobile phones but they don't charge a fortune for it. I'm paying £26 a month for 20GBs, Unlimited calls and texts and free calls to 0800 numbers ;)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

And they wonder why people dislike them a vote them worst company is America>?

This this why never tell people less is better when you have lied and cheater your way into

the position were it's your only option other than bring your back end from the 1980's- to 2015 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400