[NewEgg] 250GB Seagate Refurbished HDD for $17.99

dadasmithywinkle

How is that any different from any other hard drive some one might buy?  

If it's refurbished by the manufacturer, what's the difference? 

IF it is refurbished, it has already been used a fair amount and that is time off of the life span of the drive. They don't just replace everything, that would be like buying a new drive

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

IF it is refurbished, it has already been used a fair amount and that is time off of the life span of the drive. They don't just replace everything, that would be like buying a new drive

Any manufacturer has its own product quality standards.  When a manufacturer refurbishes their own products, they repair/replace parts that need it, and then test the repaired product to ensure it meets its quality standards.  That's a typical process for any company that wants to maintain their reputation and sell their own products.  When a refurbished product has a warranty, it is as good as a new product.  That is the entire point of refurbishment. 

Any product can fail, new, refurbished, or used.  Only one of those three categories has a higher inherent risk than the other two. 

NEVER buy refurbished HDD's as you have no idea when they are going to fail

As noted by Linus and his first Storage server build only use refurbs.