PSU Help

Llego2187
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

is there a difference between the EVGA Supernova 750w G1 and G2? or do they work same?

G1 = FSP Aurum

G2 = Super Flower Leadex.

G1 is a low cost design that offer high efficiency and full modularity. However, it is vastly inferior to the higher-end G2 in respect to build quality / design, electrical performance, and noise output. I would definitely get the G2 over the G1.

550w XTR?

750w G2?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Any corsair or EVGA power supply that's 500 watt.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

thank you :)

budget up to 150$

Then I would get the second one I had, as the only better one in that price is the same, but just has 100W more. This one should be good even if you SLI your 980 and overclock everything.

Wish you understood how PSU manufacturing works..... Only stuff from EVGA worth your time is the G2 series up and from Corsair the AX series.

You're more than fine with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

thank you :)

Welcome to the forum and don't forget to follow your own topics so that you get a notification when somebody comments on them. ;)

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Wish you understood how PSU manufacturing works..... Only stuff from EVGA worth your time is the G2 series up and from Corsair the AX series.

You're more than fine with this. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Ok I was simply naming reputable brands so that they have a good idea what to look at and don't buy a random psu that is complete sh*t and will break there entire system.

And it's not just the AX series of psu that are worth while...

Then I would get the second one I had, as the only better one in that price is the same, but just has 100W more. This one should be good even if you SLI your 980 and overclock everything.

yah i dont plan to SLI. sticking with 1 GPU build

always had 1GPU and never had problems :)

Budget? This one is nice for $60 and this one is fantastic for $85.

@thekeemo beat you to it.

great minds think alike damn ninja

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Ok, in that case, the PSU will have the fan be off practically all of the time. It is also never bad to have the possibility of expansion, especially when the PSU is very reliable and has a fantastic 10 year warranty.

Ok I was simply naming reputable brands so that they have a good idea what to look at and don't buy a random psu that is complete sh*t and will break there entire system.

And it's not just the AX series of psu that are worth while...

Well, I think you might need a little explanation on this. I'll tag @Aniallation because he can probably explain this better than I can.

Corsair does not manufacture the PSU. Their stuff is manufactured by Seasonic/Super Flower/HGST/Etc (these are just different manufacturers - not necessarily utilsed by Corsair). The AX-series is great because it's manufactured by Seasonic. The CX-Series is manufactured by a company called Channel Well Company and uses bottom-of-the-barrel capacitors. Nothing like the great stuff from EVGAs higher-end stuff from Seasonic or straight up anything from Seasonic. The RM-series has cheap secondary capacitors which is fine in a $60 PSU but not so much in a $100+ PSU. HX is made by Seasonic so that should be OK. Generally though, skip Corsair. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

In that case go with the XFX XTR 550w for $61. No real need to spend extra on the EVGA G2. The XFX also has hybrid fan mode.

Well, I think you might need a little explanation on this. I'll tag @Aniallation because he can probably explain this better than I can.

Corsair does not manufacture the PSU. Their stuff is manufactured by Seasonic/Super Flower/HGST/Etc. The AX-series is great because it's manufactured by Seasonic. The CX-Series is manufactured by a company called Channel Well Company and uses bottom-of-the-barrel capacitors. Nothing like the great stuff from EVGAs higher-end stuff from Seasonic or straight up anything from Seasonic. The RM-series has cheap secondary capacitors which is fine in a $60 PSU but not so much in a $100+ PSU. HX is made by Seasonic so that should be OK. Generally though, skip Corsair. 

SuperFlower don't make any Corsair stuff. They mainly use CWT as you say, along with Flextronics and Seasonic for the AXi and AX range. Seasonic also did a few other models.

Seems like people have suggested enough. Going by your budget of 150, try to get a fully modular one. It's so awesome.

SuperFlower don't make any Corsair stuff. They mainly use CWT as you say, along with Flextronics and Seasonic for the AXi and AX range. Seasonic also did a few other models.

Just a generalization of different manufacturers. I didn't word it clearly, sorry. 

As noted, you shouldn't just get any PSU from a particular brand. A single brand can have various of series that is catered towards different segment. They can be excellent in the high-end segment, while complete utter trash in the lower-end segment.

While the XFX XTR 550w and EVGA Supernova 750w G2 are excellent units, the ones that are linked in this thread are the pricing for the US market. In Canada, they are over $100 CAD.

A recommendation under $100 CAD would be the Cooler Master G750M. While it is not build as well as the other two units, it's a good value PSU that offer semi-modularity, the ability to SLI, good electrical performance due to DC-DC, and a 5 year warranty for $70 CAD after MIR. It's priced even lower than the 550w unit.

If you are aiming for a fully modular unit, then aforementioned the XFX XTR 550w (single GTX980) or the EVGA Supernova 750w G2 (two 980s in SLI) are good options.

I'm looking for a good quality PSU for this build, please help

If you're just keeping your build as is, the XFX XTR 550W is an excellent choice. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550bbefx

If you plan to add a second 980 later on, the EVGA 750G2 will be your best bet for the money. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Both PSUs are made by reputable OEMs (Seasonic and Super Flower) using high-quality internal components, have great electrical performance, are fully modular, are 80+ Gold rated, and have hybrid fan modes so the fan doesn't spin up until the power supply is under  decent load.

Corsair does not manufacture the PSU. Their stuff is manufactured by Seasonic/Super Flower/HGST/Etc (these are just different manufacturers - not necessarily utilsed by Corsair). The AX-series is great because it's manufactured by Seasonic. The CX-Series is manufactured by a company called Channel Well Company and uses bottom-of-the-barrel capacitors. Nothing like the great stuff from EVGAs higher-end stuff from Seasonic or straight up anything from Seasonic. The RM-series has cheap secondary capacitors which is fine in a $60 PSU but not so much in a $100+ PSU. HX is made by Seasonic so that should be OK. Generally though, skip Corsair. 

Yep this is true. Corsair just takes other companies PSUs, slaps their sticker on it, and sells it for a higher price to make profit because people think that because it's Corsair it must be good. This is in pretty much every situation NOT the case and with Corsair you'll be getting an overpriced product. 

In Corsair's current lineup there's pretty much only CWT and Seasonic, and the only Seasonic-made model is the AX. The HX is not made by Seasonic, it's just a fancy CWT platform.

EVGA isn't always top-notch though. The only products worth looking at from them are the B2 (Super Flower Golden Green, which many know as the Rosewill Capstone, with lower efficiency and semi-modular) and G2 (Super Flower Leadex). Also the new GS (Seasonic G) but compared to the XFX XTR which is pretty much the same thing, the GS is often overpriced.

"Rawr XD"

Corsair CS = Greatwall "I dunno" platform (possibly custom-made for Corsair).

Corsair AXi = Flextronics digital platform.

HXi = CWT CSH-ish platform

EVGA GS 550-650 = Seasonic G

EVGA GS 850w-1050w = Seasonic KM3

EVGA PS 1000w = Seasonic XP2

While it is supposed to be discontinued, the original HX is still being sold even off of their website.

HX 650 v2 = Seasonic G (semi-passive version with a gimped down PEG connectors)

HX750-850 v2 = CWT PUQ-G

HX 1050 = CWT DSG

is there a difference between the EVGA Supernova 750w G1 and G2? or do they work same?

G1 = FSP Aurum

G2 = Super Flower Leadex.

G1 is a low cost design that offer high efficiency and full modularity. However, it is vastly inferior to the higher-end G2 in respect to build quality / design, electrical performance, and noise output. I would definitely get the G2 over the G1.