"Raid is dead" what does that mean?

shirokado
Go to solution Solved by ChineseChef,

A simple ELI5 would be nice , tried googling but couldn't really understand.

The long and short of it is that drives are getting larger more rapidly then they are getting faster.  Basically, HDDs have gone from ~100MB/s to ~150MB/s, speed wise.  But they have gone from 1TB to 8TB in that same time.  That means at a speed of 150MB/s, it would take ~14 hours to fill.  But you are unlikely to get that kind of speed while rebuilding an array.  Average real world kind of times, you are looking at 50-80MB/s from a really good RAID card, assuming you are not trying to use the array at the same time.

The only real problems are with RAID 5/6, due to parity calculation rebuild times.  During the rebuild, the disks are worked extremely hard, and this is the time when you are most likely to have another failure, since the disks are usually working at 100% for a very long period of time.  This is compounded by the issue that most often these are production arrays, and users and systems still need to get to the data on these disks.  This can cause rebuild times to reach the 1-2 day mark, and that is with smaller drives. 

The other issue is that you have a certain likely-hood of a generic data error per X amount of bits read/written.  This use to be no big deal, but we have reached the point where our drives are as big or larger than X.  Meaning you have a near 100% chance of having a bad bit of data, making a rebuild impossible or simply causing data corruption.

In summation, the reason people say "RAID is dead", is that rebuild times are getting long enough that even with dual disk fault tolerance, it is not enough.  Combined with the near guarantee of having data corruption, RAID 5 and 6 with large capacity drives is becoming unusable in production(enterprise) environments.

RAID 1 is affected in a similar way, but not as dramatically.  This is only due to the usual situations for RAID 1 though.

RAID 0 and 1+0 (RAID10) are still good though, and will likely be used for a very long time.  This is because in most places that use these, they understand the risks, and have appropriate data redundancy.  Or at least one would hope.

TL:DR:   The drives are getting too big and can't transfer data fast enough.  Plus there is a near 100% chance of having corrupted data.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Let it go buddy. Rarely do us mortals understand God's workings. 

But let us pray that Raid is in a better place now. 

Let it go buddy. Rarely do us mortals understand God's workings. 

But let us pray that Raid is in a better place now. 

Its ded m8 8/8

20792115.jpg 

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

The long and short of it is that drives are getting larger more rapidly then they are getting faster.  Basically, HDDs have gone from ~100MB/s to ~150MB/s, speed wise.  But they have gone from 1TB to 8TB in that same time.  That means at a speed of 150MB/s, it would take ~14 hours to fill.  But you are unlikely to get that kind of speed while rebuilding an array.  Average real world kind of times, you are looking at 50-80MB/s from a really good RAID card, assuming you are not trying to use the array at the same time.

The only real problems are with RAID 5/6, due to parity calculation rebuild times.  During the rebuild, the disks are worked extremely hard, and this is the time when you are most likely to have another failure, since the disks are usually working at 100% for a very long period of time.  This is compounded by the issue that most often these are production arrays, and users and systems still need to get to the data on these disks.  This can cause rebuild times to reach the 1-2 day mark, and that is with smaller drives. 

The other issue is that you have a certain likely-hood of a generic data error per X amount of bits read/written.  This use to be no big deal, but we have reached the point where our drives are as big or larger than X.  Meaning you have a near 100% chance of having a bad bit of data, making a rebuild impossible or simply causing data corruption.

In summation, the reason people say "RAID is dead", is that rebuild times are getting long enough that even with dual disk fault tolerance, it is not enough.  Combined with the near guarantee of having data corruption, RAID 5 and 6 with large capacity drives is becoming unusable in production(enterprise) environments.

RAID 1 is affected in a similar way, but not as dramatically.  This is only due to the usual situations for RAID 1 though.

RAID 0 and 1+0 (RAID10) are still good though, and will likely be used for a very long time.  This is because in most places that use these, they understand the risks, and have appropriate data redundancy.  Or at least one would hope.

TL:DR:   The drives are getting too big and can't transfer data fast enough.  Plus there is a near 100% chance of having corrupted data.

-snip-

Thanks, that was actually informative.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit