Can we really see the difference between 1ms and 16ms? Does it really matter?

Vozella
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

You're asking the wrong question.

Can we see a difference? Yes.

Can you react quick enough in that time? No.

Response time has nothing to do with reaction times or delays. You're confusing response time with latency.

16 ms would be horrible. Assuming we're talking monitor latency.

Actually, it wouldn't. 16ms is pretty typical for a monitor and is quite low. Don't let the response time numbers fool you just because those have been hanging around 1-5ms for a few years. The unadvertised latency numbers have always been around 10-30ms on most monitors and it's never caused a problem. The huge latency you experience on a TV is anywhere from 200-400ms or above. 16ms is nothing.

Yes its noticeable, I put one of my 6ms monitors next to my dads 1ms rog swift.. You can clearly tell the difference. Needless to say im buying an rog swift soon.... lol

There are way too many factors changing here... Different panels and anti-ghosting solutions, not to mention 60 vs 144Hz. It's VERY unlikely you're noticing response time differences.

I went form a 8ms to a 2ms. There's a difference.

although that's a Grey-to-Grey number.

Can still feel a difference though.

Response time differences aren't something you "feel". You're confusing response time with latency.

Honestly I'd recommend everyone spend a few minutes on humanbenchmark.com so you can get a better idea of how much time a millisecond actually is.

Edit: What does high amount of ms even look like?

Edited by Vozella

YES. 12 to 5 is noticeable for that matter.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

ms of what input lag?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

1) yes

2) usually no.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

yes we can defenitivly notice the difference. and its very. very annoying

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Yes its noticeable, I put one of my 6ms monitors next to my dads 1ms rog swift.. You can clearly tell the difference. Needless to say im buying an rog swift soon.... lol

I couldn't play counter strike with any more than 2ms, nevermind 16

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I own an ROG Swift, great monitor, smooth gaming, no complaints here, maybe except the price tag. And your 6ms to 1ms comparison might actually be the difference between IPS and TN, or 60hz vs 144hz. I guess it depends on what you're used to, because no matter how hard I try, I cannot game on an IPS monitor, it is way too stuttery, its unplayable. For comparison, 60hz to me is like when people complain about how choppy 24fps gaming is on consoles.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Edit: What does high amount of ms even look like?

If you're talking about response time, then high response time means you see a lot of motion blur and ghosting when there's quick on-screen motion.

Pixel response time does not (primarily) have to do with reactions. It's about motion blur and ghosting - how well the monitor displays motion. Pixel response time makes up a small portion of the total input lag, but other factors are usually more important there. Plus higher levels of input lag can be tolerated.

Monitor latency? As in input latency? Then 16ms is no problem. If it's pixel response time though, then 16ms is bad.

I couldn't play counter strike with any more than 2ms, nevermind 16

But I bet if I changed your monitor to a 3ms without you knowing, you would't notice :)

Pixel response time?

Well... Yes and no. Because it comes down to what kind of latency manufacturer means.

5ms CTC latency is a lot better than 5ms GTG latency for example.

CtC=Color to Color

GTG=Gray to Gray

Usually manufacturers market only GTG latency because it is the fastest one but they may have really bad CTC or Black to White latencies.

Usually you are better off with 6ms CTC than with 1ms GTG.

It gets really complicated and confusing because every manufacturer markets different standards so then you have to dig deep into the specs.

It gets really complicated and confusing

Par for the course with any monitor spec. Especially once marketing has had their way with it.

16ms of latency is good, and generally unnoticeable from 1ms.

On the other hand a 16ms response time doesn't tell you anything, because response time measurements are extremely imprecise. Subjective experiences are also worthless because of this. You can put a 12ms monitor and a 1ms monitor next to each other and see a massive difference, but then put a different 12ms monitor and 1ms monitor together and see no difference at all. Not all "1ms" or "12ms" monitors are the same, and in fact there is such a massive variance that you can find a 12ms monitor which is in reality faster than a 5ms monitor.

See the mythbuster thread at the top of this section, the very first two parts deal with this topic extensively.

Par for the course with any monitor spec. Especially once marketing has had their way with it.

Exactly. 90% of specs that are marketed on monitors are bullcrap.

Contrast ratios and bla bla...

Pixel response time?

Well... Yes and no. Because it comes down to what kind of latency manufacturer means.

5ms CTC latency is a lot better than 5ms GTG latency for example.

CtC=Color to Color

GTG=Gray to Gray

Usually manufacturers market only GTG latency because it is the fastest one but they may have really bad CTC or Black to White latencies.

Usually you are better off with 6ms CTC than with 1ms GTG.

It gets really complicated and confusing because every manufacturer markets different standards so then you have to dig deep into the specs.

You know "grey" is another word for color in color terms :P

There is only black-to-white and grey-to-grey.

Response time has nothing to do with reaction times or delays. You're confusing response time with latency.

Actually, it wouldn't. 16ms is pretty typical for a monitor and is quite low. Don't let the response time numbers fool you just because those have been hanging around 1-5ms for a few years. The unadvertised latency numbers have always been around 10-30ms on most monitors and it's never caused a problem. The huge latency you experience on a TV is anywhere from 200-400ms or above. 16ms is nothing.

There are way too many factors changing here... Different panels and anti-ghosting solutions, not to mention 60 vs 144Hz. It's VERY unlikely you're noticing response time differences.

Response time differences aren't something you "feel". You're confusing response time with latency.

Honestly I'd recommend everyone spend a few minutes on humanbenchmark.com so you can get a better idea of how much time a millisecond actually is.

I know I'm sorta comparing apples to oranges with this but there is a relationship between different response times and what you can see and then react to.

I honestly haven't the slightest idea. All i know is, that the ghosting went away. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

We set the swift for 60hz so as to limit out that factor actually. We also made sure any of the add in anti ghosting features etc were disabled on the swift entirely (for the ones that could be disabled that is) Regardless, The you could feel and see the difference in almost every aspect. My only dislike is the color range of tn panels :/

The best I can do on that site is exactly 250ms.

I honestly haven't the slightest idea. All i know is, that the ghosting went away.

We set the swift for 60hz so as to limit out that factor actually. We also made sure any of the add in anti ghosting features etc were disabled on the swift entirely (for the ones that could be disabled that is) Regardless, The you could feel and see the difference in almost every aspect. My only dislike is the color range of tn panels :/

Either way, even if you examine the ghosting, the response time numbers don't actually represent the amount of ghosting you'll have.

VG278HE.jpg

XL2420T.jpg

iiyamag2773hs.jpg

Response time is a genuinely useless number, it tells you nothing about how much ghosting or anything else you'll have.

Honestly, the color range isn't even that bad on a TN.. its not like you look at a game screen and go "that shade of brown needs to be 3 levels lighter"

:

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit