Netflix media player (Australia)

Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and FINALLY we got our own Netflx account for the family. I'm wondering, is there a recommended device that's cheap to stream netflix. We have a chromecast but my parents are useless with technology and don't want to use their phones, they prefer having a remote... Is there anything you could recommend? So far looking at an Apple TV ($99) or a generic Android Box from Ebay ($79)

Your input is much appreciated

Thank You. 

A generic Android box is probably your best bet.

CPU: i7 5820K @ 4.00GHz Mobo: ASUS X99-DELUXE LGA 2011-v3RAM: Corsair LPX 64GB Quad-Channel DDR4 @ 2400MHzGPU: GTX 970 x2 SLI | Storage: 250 GB AMD SSD x 4 Raid 0

Generic Android Box > Apple shiTV

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

@mattchew1991 @TheKDub
An android platform will definitely be cheaper, however the AppleTV has one thing going for it that may justify the higher price, HBO NOW.

There's also the option of a HDMI based streaming box/stick like a Roku which can be had for $40.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

@mattchew1991 @TheKDub

An android platform will definitely be cheaper, however the AppleTV has one thing going for it that may justify the higher price, HBONOW.

I live in Australia, we have none of those services available here.. We may get a VPN eventually. I just need something stable and VERY easy to use for under $100 bucks haha

If you're on Optus, their 2nd generation of Fetch has compatibility with Netflix, although it's kind of expensive for what it is, particularity if you don't watch much TV.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I'm with Telstra.. and roku is quite expensive and won't work in Australia without a VPN..? 

I got myself a cheap Roku that does everything for just $30 USD (only outputs in 720p though, but that's all I need). I can't imagine anyone would call that expensive. I don't know how things work in Australia though. The best feature of Roku is the ability to search cross-platform streaming services for a show, and it will tell you which ones have the show/movie and if you already have a subscription.

If the roku worked in aus (not sure if it does without a VPN) I would buy it ASAP! 

Roku 2 or even 1 would be more than enough.. 

Hi Guys,

I live in Australia and FINALLY we got our own Netflx account for the family. I'm wondering, is there a recommended device that's cheap to stream netflix. We have a chromecast but my parents are useless with technology and don't want to use their phones, they prefer having a remote... Is there anything you could recommend? So far looking at an Apple TV ($99) or a generic Android Box from Ebay ($79)

Your input is much appreciated

Thank You. 

your name is matthew.......you were born in 1991......

askdjfasdf

your name is matthew.......you were born in 1991......

Your point? ... 

I would get the Roku Streaming Stick, http://www.amazon.com/Roku-3500R-Streaming-Stick-HDMI/dp/B00INNP5VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1429258831&sr=1-1&keywords=roku

You can get I shipped to 'New Zealand' from amazon for $77.00nzd. Amazon's shipping charges are probably the same for Auz and Nz and our currencies are pretty much the same right now.

It can stream Netflix at 1080p and even has its own dedicated buttom for it.  

I am very happy with my Amazon Fire TV Stick 

If the roku worked in aus (not sure if it does without a VPN) I would buy it ASAP! 

Roku 2 or even 1 would be more than enough..

Get the Apple TV. Will be up and working in 10 minutes and the parents will be able to figure everything out without a problem.

Nothing wrong with an Android box really but would pay the extra $20 for a guaranteed-to-be-stable, brand name product that's easy to use.

Your point? ... 

i own a roku 3 that i like quite a bit for streaming youtube netflix huluplus ive had it about 2 years never once had an issue with it.

askdjfasdf

• 4 weeks later...

Your point? ... 

You would not need a VPN for australian netflix so the Roku is a great option.