Raspberry Pi!

xnoobftw

Hey guys! My dad just brought me a raspberry pi from work for me to toy with!

Anyone's got any idea how to operate this thing and would you mind teaching me? :)

IM REALLY EXCITED AHHHHHH :D

What are the uses of raspberry pi anyways?

(I tried powering it on but it just shows a black screen, ive connected the HDMI port and the mini USB port to power it on D:)

post-121155-0-55015900-1429092321_thumb.

He mentioned that the SD card is installed with 3 OS.... He doesnt know what OS tho!

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

-snip-

So you bought a device without knowing what you will do with it?

Ok, anyways.

You can run not so demanding servers on it like web servers

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So you bought a device without knowing what you will do with it?

Ok, anyways.

You can run not so demanding servers on it like web servers

The company he works in allows him to get it for free!

Any other things? Maybe like video watching etc? Or web browsing?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

You can do that, but I believe it has a mobile CPU or something and like.. Not a lot of RAM.

You can use it to try some Linux out though

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There was some mod for it, to make it into a smart player for your content, perfect for a sort of "smart tv" project. I can't remember the name though, you might want to google that one :)

raspbmc_amber88xd6.png

Using mine as mediacenter, couldn't be happier.

That's Raspbmc with the "Amber" skin - probably the one eating the least resources.

You can use it as virtually anything you feel like using it for, so long as it doesn't require a huge amount of computational power. To be honest, you'd have been better off with one of the new Pi 2s, but hey, can't argue with free. The original Pi can still do a ton of stuff. We once suggested them to a dude who wanted a clean, professional and affordable way of making multiple screens in a building display the same output. Because, yes, they can totally do that.

You can use them as microcontrollers in tandem with an arduino to use on a robot. You could put one of those things in a lead box and send it to mars on a rover and it would be excellent. use them as a NAS, a web server, a proxy, a firewall, anything that you can think to use for monotonous, repetitive logical tasks. It has a load of switchable I/O pins that you can use to do tons of stuff.

People have put the things in clusters to be used as micro-supercomputers. They're pretty sick, given what you can do with them. Much more versatile than pretty much any conventional computer, at the cost of computational power. (though with the Pi 2 that is very nicely improved upon)

Oh, and the best bit is that you can hook them up to a USB power bank and they'll have a UPS! Runs for about 7 hours on a 10,000mAh battery

raspbmc_amber88xd6.png

Using mine as mediacenter, couldn't be happier.

That's Raspbmc with the "Amber" skin - probably the one eating the least resources.

Do you have a tutorial on how to do that?

You can use it as virtually anything you feel like using it for, so long as it doesn't require a huge amount of computational power. To be honest, you'd have been better off with one of the new Pi 2s, but hey, can't argue with free. The original Pi can still do a ton of stuff. We once suggested them to a dude who wanted a clean, professional and affordable way of making multiple screens in a building display the same output. Because, yes, they can totally do that.

You can use them as microcontrollers in tandem with an arduino to use on a robot. You could put one of those things in a lead box and send it to mars on a rover and it would be excellent. use them as a NAS, a web server, a proxy, a firewall, anything that you can think to use for monotonous, repetitive logical tasks. It has a load of switchable I/O pins that you can use to do tons of stuff.

People have put the things in clusters to be used as micro-supercomputers. They're pretty sick, given what you can do with them. Much more versatile than pretty much any conventional computer, at the cost of computational power. (though with the Pi 2 that is very nicely improved upon)

Oh, and the best bit is that you can hook them up to a USB power bank and they'll have a UPS! Runs for about 7 hours on a 10,000mAh battery

IM EXCITED AHHHH :D:D:D

I'll do my own research :) THANKS! 

:D

You can do that, but I believe it has a mobile CPU or something and like.. Not a lot of RAM.

You can use it to try some Linux out though

Linux can play videos/web browsing right?

There was some mod for it, to make it into a smart player for your content, perfect for a sort of "smart tv" project. I can't remember the name though, you might want to google that one :)

I will! Thanks! :)

i am currently configuring mine to conrtol the lighting in my apartment according to sensor readouts and current daytime. also im working on making it wake my mainrig from sleep when i clap my hands. 

also for future projects i am thinking about having it contorl temperature to but ill have to fin a programmable heating controller first. when tahts all done and good ill probably get a second one to control the drawers of a pc case im currenlty planning. basicly you can do with it whatever you can imagine given you have some programming skills

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Linux can play videos/web browsing right?

Yeah. You have quite a few different Linux variants, but the ones I have used were able to do it (I used OpenSuse and one that was bundled with my brother's Pi)

"My dad just brought"

k.