3440x1440- how the hell am I meant to run this?!

Chronos5618

Hello people of the internet. Getting myself a lovely 3400x1440 ultrawide monitor (though still pondering the idea of the Acer XB270HU) and now have to think about how I'm going to drive those pixels. Ideally, I would love a rock solid 60fps (no g-sync) at high to ultra and was thinking of getting a single 980 now, and another in a few months time for SLI. Do you folks think this would be enough? Is there a cheaper way to go about it? Wait for 980Ti? And am I being a fool for going with a monitor without g-sync? Just looking to pick some experienced brain here, so thanks in advance? 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

A 980 should be fine, and no matter what it will be more cost effective than a 980ti when it comes out.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

We still aren't at a time where uhd is main stream, a fews years and uhd will ne the norm.

Going with the 980 now and adding another later on is a good route, but expect games to be near 30fps until you add the second 980.

The cheapest route to drive games at 45-60fps at this resolution is the R9-295x2... an absolute monster. But still not going to give you a perfectly stable 60fps.

Titan X's in Sli will do it, maybe even one isn't a bad route:

Skip to 4:10 to get to the point.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

The 980 by itself should be able to run most games on high settings at 60 fps. And no, g sync/ freesync monitors are a waste of money imo. It's easy to do that stuff yourself so why put more money into a monitor for that?

Going with the 980 now and adding another later on is a good route, but expect games to be near 30fps until you add the second 980.

The cheapest route to drive games at 45-60fps at this resolution is the R9-295x2... an absolute monster. But still not going to give you a perfectly stable 60fps.

Titan X's in Sli will do it, maybe even one isn't a bad route:

https://youtu.be/xsCIdqIqbgM

Titan X is designed for 4k you wouldn't need SLI for 1440p, but I am sure it is out of the OPs budget.

i think even a one 980 would be enough and more overkill i may think .

but you would be more than good with one 980 and u would be more * futuer prof * when you get sli .

Depends on the games you play?

CPU : i5 4570 MB : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850) RAM : Kingston 4x4 1600 GPU : Radeon HD 6670 SSD : samsung 840 PRO PSU : Corsair CX500

Depends on the games you play?

Tomb raider, Batman, Bioshock. Those kind of stuff. Nothing massively FPS related. 

Titan X is designed for 4k you wouldn't need SLI for 1440p, but I am sure it is out of the OPs budget.

I could possibly find the money, if I knew that it was going to future-proof me, but I would rather spread the cost. At the moment, I'm more tempted by the SLI 980s. Guess I'll just have to lower the settings until I can grab two. 

Any thoughts on the Acer XB270HU. I know that such questions technically belong in the "Display" area, but if it would be easier to run than my current choice, it would probably tip the scales and change my mind.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Well for less demanding ones (say LoL) you d get good with 980.

For last gen games (not witcher 3, gta 5... ) sli 980 should bring 60 fps.

The problem is about future proofing, don t u dream of acer xr341? 

CPU : i5 4570 MB : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850) RAM : Kingston 4x4 1600 GPU : Radeon HD 6670 SSD : samsung 840 PRO PSU : Corsair CX500

970 sli, 290 crossfire, 290x crossfire would all be good and better value options.

My wallet likes this option a lot :L

My wallet likes this option a lot :L

Those are three options :P

I use 290x crossfire, it works fantastically :) but any option would work well.

• 1 month later...

Hi.Not sure if its still relevant but I just got my monitor, a Samsung se790c VA ultrawide ( the contrast ration and blacks are amazing and 0 bleed..anywhere,covers 100% srgb,thats why i went with it over a 34 inch ultrawide ips

and 3440x1440 isn't really that hard to drive for games like Heroes of the storm,Lol,Dota,Guild wars 2,Dark souls 2,Borderlands 2 and Diablo 3.I max them all out with a r9 285 lol.i was planing on getting the r9 390x when it comes out..but since all the games i play atm are easily maxed i think ill just wait another year and get a card with the second generation HBM memory( 8 gb HBM with  4096 bits).Maybe its just me,but i'd advise waiting a bit,maybe getting a 970 for now and jumping straight on the best 8 gb HBM card that comes out early next year.

I have 290x crossfire on my LG 34um95, works great. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

3440x1440 is about 34% extra pixels over 2560x1440, it is quite some way short of 4K. A 980 would work well for you now, and a second one would help as games get more demanding, or if it will fit in your case the 295 x2, then add a second one.....

Hello people of the internet. Getting myself a lovely 3400x1440 ultrawide monitor (though still pondering the idea of the Acer XB270HU) and now have to think about how I'm going to drive those pixels. Ideally, I would love a rock solid 60fps (no g-sync) at high to ultra and was thinking of getting a single 980 now, and another in a few months time for SLI. Do you folks think this would be enough? Is there a cheaper way to go about it? Wait for 980Ti? And am I being a fool for going with a monitor without g-sync? Just looking to pick some experienced brain here, so thanks in advance? 

If you're willing to drop settings a bit (and depending on the game) I think a 980 should get you to 40–60. A second would probably assure max details in most games at 60-ish.

I personally think SLI 980's are the most reasonable way to go.