Experiences with non-techies

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I assume the guy from their ISP comes to set it all up

i wouldnt know ive never seen it happen

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

3 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

These people are the ones that say "consoles are cheaper than PCs" just because the intial price is smaller, but they never do the math.

I'll never understand why console peasants refuse to understand the power of a multi-purpose device. 

12 minutes ago, Noire said:

I'll never understand why console peasants refuse to understand the power of a multi-purpose device. 

Yeah.  I get why people will buy them - there are some reasons* - but I won't ever understand (or allow to go un-complained-about) people denying basic facts, like PCs give you more control over everything, better graphics, better controls and more control options, etc.

* I like to break this into what I call inherent benefits, and circumstantial benefits.  An inherent benefit would be something that is actually dependent on and specific to the device, like "its just easier -you pop in a disk and play.  No OS setup, installers antivirus, etc".  A circumstantial benefit is something that makes them useful now, but that's just because of the world at large and has nothing to do with the device as it exists.  This is like the benefit of exclusives and local coop.  Consoles sometimes have these things or are better at them, but that's just because game devs made (or didn't make) those games that way for different platforms.  For now, these are serious legit reasons to buy a console, but it's sad though becausem it's totally unnecessary; if game devs would stop that crap, that " benefit" to consoles would disappear.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-

You use a antivirus? lol 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah.  I get why people will buy them - there are some reasons* - but I won't ever understand (or allow to go un-complained-about) people denying basic facts, like PCs give you more control over everything, better graphics, better controls and more control options, etc.

* I like to break this into what I call inherent benefits, and circumstantial benefits.  An inherent benefit would be something that is actually dependent on and specific to the device, like "its just easier -you pop in a disk and play.  No OS setup, installers antivirus, etc".  A circumstantial benefit is something that makes them useful now, but that's just because of the world at large and has nothing to do with the device as it exists.  This is like the benefit of exclusives and local coop.  Consoles sometimes have these things or are better at them, but that's just because game devs made (or didn't make) those games that way for different platforms.  For now, these are serious legit reasons to buy a console, but it's sad though becausem it's totally unnecessary; if game devs would stop that crap, that " benefit" to consoles would disappear.

im going to defend consoles a bit here even though i dont really ever use them i usually will get the nintendo ones. i really do like nintendos consoles normally sure they have alot of faults but i like them regardless. theres just something about that experience thats completely different from a pc or typical console that their consoles have. not to mention if nintendo ever did branch out and make pc games. it wouldnt do them much good i think they greatly benifit from avoiding the toxicity that is the pc gaming community sometimes. i mean sure we have some nice people but there are alot of assholes in it you all have to admit

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

How not to apply thermal paste via 9gag

http://9gag.com/gag/arKX0xX?ref=android

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

In my school today:

this guy...

[insert argument over which is better PCs or Mac overall]

I F***ING QUOTE: [plays minecraft during geography on phone, goes to amazon.co.uk and shows me a 5k imac] "So can PC do 5k? I think not."

I told him that if you had a 5k monitor and a good graphics card, then yes (especially for gaming, desktop 5k is a breeze)

He then told me that Macs or iMacs or whatever they are, are much more powerful, don't get viruses and are better for use.

Then another guy is like not if you have an antivirus.

My school is full of uneducated morons. You should hear my computing class, when they are trying to theorise over how to use a print statement in Python. Jeez. Not that I'm some brain box that can cure cancer but PC conversations in school don't last long enough for me to explain all the points which are wrong when others speak :D

Okay, I'm calm now xD

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

9 minutes ago, User1868 said:

Excuse me whilst I kill myself.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

38 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Excuse me whilst I kill myself.

take me with you

Desktop - CPU Intel i7-8700k @3.20ghz ~ Motherboard Dell OPHWHK ~ RAM 8GB of HyperX DDR4 ~ GPU Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB ~ Case Dell case ~ Storage 1TB Hard Drive by WD and a Samsung 128 SSD ~ PSU EVGA 500W ~ Monitors MSI Optix G27C2 144hz ~ Cooling CM air cooled ~ Keyboard Corsair K70 ~ Mouse Logitech G502 ~ Headphones Skullcandys ~ OS Windows 10 Laptop 1CPU Intel i7-4700MQ ~ RAM 8GB of DDR3 ~ Motherboard Acer ~ Graphics GTX 750ti Laptop 2 2011 MacBook Pro

Everything is being upgraded so it might be out of date or I missed something

53 minutes ago, User1868 said:

As an Imgurian, ew, and as a techie, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Just a week ago while i was volunteering at my local memory express when this old fat guy came in and bought a $150 sshd and i said to him we install sshds for free and he said "no its ok i know how this stuff works" and then the next day he came in again saying it wasnt working. 15 min later his system was brought to the store and i saw that he had taped the sshd to the rear panel of the case along with the psu. I almost died laughing and my chest hurt from laughing so hard for at least 10 min. I should have taken picture but i was just laughing so hard i didnt remember to do so. After i stopped laughing me and my fellow coworkers gave him a breif lesson on how computers worked and we managed to fix his rig after that.

Desktop - CPU Intel i7-8700k @3.20ghz ~ Motherboard Dell OPHWHK ~ RAM 8GB of HyperX DDR4 ~ GPU Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB ~ Case Dell case ~ Storage 1TB Hard Drive by WD and a Samsung 128 SSD ~ PSU EVGA 500W ~ Monitors MSI Optix G27C2 144hz ~ Cooling CM air cooled ~ Keyboard Corsair K70 ~ Mouse Logitech G502 ~ Headphones Skullcandys ~ OS Windows 10 Laptop 1CPU Intel i7-4700MQ ~ RAM 8GB of DDR3 ~ Motherboard Acer ~ Graphics GTX 750ti Laptop 2 2011 MacBook Pro

Everything is being upgraded so it might be out of date or I missed something

48 minutes ago, Howiim16 said:

Just a week ago while i was volunteering at my local memory express when this old fat guy came in and bought a $150 sshd and i said to him we install sshds for free and he said "no its ok i know how this stuff works" and then the next day he came in again saying it wasnt working. 15 min later his system was brought to the store and i saw that he had taped the sshd to the rear panel of the case along with the psu. I almost died laughing and my chest hurt from laughing so hard for at least 10 min. I should have taken picture but i was just laughing so hard i didnt remember to do so. After i stopped laughing me and my fellow coworkers gave him a breif lesson on how computers worked and we managed to fix his rig after that.

no offence but at least if i was a customer i would find it kind of rude to be laughed at for not knowing something by an employee. even if its funny its probably best later. buttttttttt this i think is worth an exception

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Noire said:

You use a antivirus? lol 

3 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

im going to defend consoles a bit here even though i dont really ever use them i usually will get the nintendo ones. i really do like nintendos consoles normally sure they have alot of faults but i like them regardless. theres just something about that experience thats completely different from a pc or typical console that their consoles have. not to mention if nintendo ever did branch out and make pc games. it wouldnt do them much good i think they greatly benifit from avoiding the toxicity that is the pc gaming community sometimes. i mean sure we have some nice people but there are alot of assholes in it you all have to admit

I don't want to get into this, and personally I have had 2 too many bad experiences as a direct result of the peasantry imposed by consoles to ever use one again.  I've simply had it, and I will never go there again - be it a "desktop" console like xbox, wii, etc. or a mobile console like 3DS, etc. so just know that I'm not defending them for my own reasons :)  I'm just bringing up the best aspects of the typical argument for them, since (and this is often forgotten by us PC users) there are legitimate reasons why someone would want to (and maybe should) buy one.  That said, the biggest ones are "circumstantial" like I said and could (and should) just go away, but until they do, they will be a big part of the draw.

That's why I don't get mad or angry at people who use them or want to use them.  It's not my business and I don't care; it's their choice.  It's frustrating when they think they're so much better in every way when it is easy to objectively prove they are wrong, but there are certainly some reasons why they need to exist (for now)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-

I could care less what people do, but I always feel a need to guide them to the light. 

I also hate when they spew ignorance and nonsense.

And justify the poor performance and functionality of the console.

Being the only one that knows about tech. My Friends friend wanted me to fix his PC, I said yes, but i'll cost you money. He gets angry because my friend told him that I'do it for free. I never said that, and I'll never will. It takes valuable time from me. I said i'll change your motherboard, replace your drives and install windows for £200. He said no. He went to Dell and the price of repair was around £400~. It took at least 2 and half weeks to fix. I told him that it would take me at least 3-5 hours. 

People don't learn these days. Never spoke to him again. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

36 minutes ago, Flitter said:

And for the low low price of just £571.28, with free shipping too! xD 

38 minutes ago, Flitter said:

Title ; AMD Radeon R9 Fury

Picture ;

31lywzdC8RL.jpg

... me ;

images81b30.jpg

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Being the only one that knows about tech. My Friends friend wanted me to fix his PC, I said yes, but i'll cost you money. He gets angry because my friend told him that I'do it for free. I never said that, and I'll never will. It takes valuable time from me. I said i'll change your motherboard, replace your drives and install windows for £200. He said no. He went to Dell and the price of repair was around £400~. It took at least 2 and half weeks to fix. I told him that it would take me at least 3-5 hours. 

I'd be mad too, your services aren't worth 200. 

I've had a few personal experiences of course, but I'm going to share one of my friend's.

He was in art class, and the students thought her second monitor (for her laptop) was her computer. The teacher and my friend had to explain to half the class that monitor != computer

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

4 hours ago, Howiim16 said:

This reminds me of that one story everyone quotes where this lady or man just uses a scanner to take a picture of an HDD, and then just puts the picture onto the computer.

I hope people realize that just putting something onto something else without any type of connection does absolutely nothing. Do they just think that it's similar to wireless charging? Stick down someplace and just get data and power?

On 3/8/2016 at 9:37 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, just, wow.  Really?  It didn't strike anyone as odd that there would be a printer as part of a home theatre? xD

See I would forgive the switch thing and HDD thing if it was just normal people who only need to use computers a little and don't really know how they work internally, but how can people in IT be that clueless!?  And I know this isn't an isolated case either; I've heard other stories like that... 

Alright, I'm going to go to Best Buy and set up my luxurious home theater. Let's see what I need here: TV, speakers, PS4.. Looks good looks good. What am I missing? Oh right, A FUCKING PRINTER. SO I CAN PRINT OUT THE SCREENSHOTS OF A CLICKER GIVING ME A HICKEY!

I can forgive the POE and HDD thing. Usually if you open up an HDD, you could introduce dust into it and that could screw something up, so I can understand their curiosity. POE too, the labels could be difficult to find or read.

On 3/8/2016 at 2:45 PM, dcb-z said:

Kids at my school are so cheap that they still use old CDs to burn their pirated movies onto to watch during class. One kid who does that asked me if there was a way to download more space onto the CD and I told him that he could pick up a USB drive for cheap from Wal-Mart. The $10 one I pulled up for him was too expensive to him.

I doubt they'd even know what an external hard drive even is, much less basic computer parts. A girl I was talking to after school today was telling me about what happened in my EAST lab class while the non-EAST students were in there (they were displaced from their classrooms this morning because the freshman building was in use for ACT testing). She told me that one student broke a wooden pencil in half and "jammed it into the monitor." I went to take a look and it turns out she meant the desktop, because there was wood shavings and graphite marks all over the front grill of the computer, whereas the monitor was unscathed (thank goodness).

10 dollars. 10 fucking dollars. You could spend more money on a two, hell possibly a single meal. Unless he lives in the slums of Brazil or somewhere terrible, he can afford it. It's not that it's too expensive, it's the fucking mindset that I have to save money somewhere, and I'm just going to cling onto my money, never spend it, and that's my "idea" of "saving money". Remember people, when you spend money, sometimes you're not just getting a service/product. You could also be getting additional benefits like time or convenience. See more below.

Also, space is not an app. I don't think I can stress that enough. Luckily I haven't met anyone that's done anything this ridiculous. But seriously, it's like if I had a cardboard box, and put stuff in it. When I run out of room, I get another box, or move everything into another bigger box. I don't grab another box and cram it into the original box!!

When I first read "jammed it into the monitor", I thought, how? How do you stick a pencil into the monitor and get it stuck? Are you strong enough to force it THROUGH the LCD screen? Do you stick it into a port? But most realistically, I considered sticking it down a vent, and that seems the most reasonable.

On 3/8/2016 at 3:46 PM, RustyZombie said:

Some people just never think past what is cheapest right now.  Those are the sort of people that credit card companies love. :D

http://lifehacker.com/when-it-makes-sense-to-buy-quality-instead-of-saving-mo-1689373996

People can never zoom out and look at the bigger picture! They never think about the OTHER factors of buying something cheap like maintenance or a monthly subscription! They never seem to consider that you could also be paying for convenience or a time benefit either! People don't seem to save up their money like when they buy a desktop, they don't look at something like price to performance. Just holy fuck people, if there was an alien invasion, it'd probably be pretty easy to take over a city just by using some common sense!

13 hours ago, Bsmith said:

I just did, I left at the "What is a modem" piece.... I know enough, I'm disappointed how big the difference of a 3y age gap is.

See below quote

13 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

it's not just people calling PC's "CPU", it's also the amount of people that press the monitor power when they want to open/close the PC ... look up "teen react to Windows 95", about half of those teens press the monitor power button when they are told to power up the PC, one or two actually press the button multiple times, when I saw that I thought of that quote; "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Love that FC3 reference!

I have a theory that as things get easier, people just tend to get lazy and just not care! I mean how difficult is it to realize that the screen and desktop have 2 different switches! If you don't get it the first or second time, OK, understandable, but after that you should remember that! I'm glad I've never met anyone with this problem!

I really REALLY think that mobile phones and tablets have really spoiled a LOT of people! Adults, teens and kids alike! I'm not alone in this mindset (think someone's posted this before, but I'll reiterate)! People just see the dead simplicity of an iPhone (I say iPhone because I agree that iOS is SOMEWHAT easier to use than Android), and then are absolutely clueless on how to use Windows and possibly even Android. 2 years ago, I've had someone look at my S5 and say to me "I don't like Android, it's too difficult". No it's not. It's just your lack of experience with Android. The only real differences (I own the 2nd to last gen iPod touch, and my mom owns my former iPad 2 and her own iPhone 6S plus) I've noticed is that the top and bottom drag down menus have been combined into one and app drawers and widgets into the home screen. Stop depending on DEAD simplicity, open your eyes and look around for menus people.

http://coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

10 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

These people are the ones that say "consoles are cheaper than PCs" just because the intial price is smaller, but they never do the math.

Actually, if you just buy a small amount (like 1 or 2) of single player games for the month/year, a console COULD be cheaper. Yeah summer sales on Steam, but it's going to be a while, since it's march right now

5 hours ago, Aleksbgbg said:

In my school today:

this guy...

[insert argument over which is better PCs or Mac overall]

I F***ING QUOTE: [plays minecraft during geography on phone, goes to amazon.co.uk and shows me a 5k imac] "So can PC do 5k? I think not."

I told him that if you had a 5k monitor and a good graphics card, then yes (especially for gaming, desktop 5k is a breeze)

He then told me that Macs or iMacs or whatever they are, are much more powerful, don't get viruses and are better for use.

Then another guy is like not if you have an antivirus.

My school is full of uneducated morons. You should hear my computing class, when they are trying to theorise over how to use a print statement in Python. Jeez. Not that I'm some brain box that can cure cancer but PC conversations in school don't last long enough for me to explain all the points which are wrong when others speak :D

Okay, I'm calm now xD

Oh hun, that M395X is barely powerful enough to drive the monitor anyways.. Might as well have an upgradable PC that won't thermal throttle

Which reminds me, when Linus switched to the iMac 5k, he noted that Windows didn't support 5k and maxed out at 4k. Hopefully that's been fixed...

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

I think that he expected Dell to charge him less than the 200 euros you offered. When he accepted he probably forgot your price or realized the mistake he made and that he couldn't go back. I don't think he thought about the time benefit though... 

What was wrong with his PC? Dead mobo?

Some things that I've seen a while ago that I haven't mentioned are at my Friday night church meeting with other high schoolers include:

When my GPU died for one day, and someone asked how I was doing generally, I told her about it and asked me if I had charged it. That's something I can forgive as only us really know what a GPU is. Hell even prebuilt manufacturers don't know what a GPU is...

Another is that someone brought the Fast charge wireless charging pad for her (should be her) S6. That, that I can't really forgive. That pad takes up space in your backpack and charges slower than sticking a cable in your phone.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

oh god the horror that my mother went though when she had her laptop had a bad battery. here's how it went down ( hats off to my stepdad who knows how the computer works) he power cycled the computer to reset the battery memory he took the battery out held the power for 20 seconds then plugged it in to the charger and ran the computer after doing that and plugging the battery back in it got the same thing plugged in but not charging. so we ordered another battery turns out that battery was dead as well. then we turned to an "IT Store" to help. (im just gonna say this IT people down here don't know what there doing....or the place we went to anyway :/ ) after we got the computer back from the it store and when my stepdad saw what the it people did to it he was furious. basically the it store bent some of the pins to the mother board and whats worse on top of that the it store Nearly bricked the computer. you could not even install a new version of windows 8.1 it was so bad. but a few days later after my stepdad tinkered and repaired the damage done he got the computer working again along with a new battery. 

long story short IT down Arkansas (id give them a -1000 stars where i live) in my opinion they did not know what they were doing at all... and nearly destroyed my mother's computer in the process.

1 minute ago, Turbofreak88884444 said:

oh god the horror that my mother went though when she had her laptop had a bad battery. here's how it went down ( hats off to my stepdad who knows how the computer works) he power cycled the computer to reset the battery memory he took the battery out held the power for 20 seconds then plugged it in to the charger and ran the computer after doing that and plugging the battery back in it got the same thing plugged in but not charging. so we ordered another battery turns out that battery was dead as well. then we turned to an "IT Store" to help. (im just gonna say this IT people down here don't know what there doing....or the place we went to anyway :/ ) after we got the computer back from the it store and when my stepdad saw what the it people did to it he was furious. basically the it store bent some of the pins to the mother board and whats worse on top of that the it store Nearly bricked the computer. you could not even install a new version of windows 8.1 it was so bad. but a few days later after my stepdad tinkered and repaired the damage done he got the computer working again along with a new battery. 

long story short IT down Arkansas (id give them a -1000 stars where i live) in my opinion they did not know what they were doing at all... and nearly destroyed my mother's computer in the process.

If your stepdad knew so much, even going so far to rebend the pins, why didn't he himself just replace the CMOS battery?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

1 minute ago, Fgtfv567 said:

If your stepdad knew so much, even going so far to rebend the pins, why didn't he himself just replace the CMOS battery himself?

it was actually the main battery on the laptop that went bad 

Just now, Turbofreak88884444 said:

it was actually the main battery on the laptop that went bad 

Wait didn't your stepdad end up replacing the main battery or was it someone else?