LF> Laptop for Multimedia Production

sumitmak

My brother is going to be moving a lot, and since he is into multimedia production, he was looking for a good laptop that will do the work. 

The softwares he uses is Protools for Audio, which is where his majority of work is done, and Sony Vegas for some video editing sometimes. So we are looking for a laptop which has a decent processor that will help with the production. RAM and Storage aren't a concern as there are upgrade options for them. And for storage he has external HDD where he stores his data. So the internal storage can be about 500GB that may be used to store the softwares. Or maybe something around a 250GB SSD.

We were testing on a friends laptop(Lenovo B570) to judge what our budget should be. But protools hardly worked or didn't even open at sometimes. So we are a bit concerned with that.

For now, we have kept a budget of $800 to $1000. And may add-in some more cash if it would be absolutely necessary to get a decent laptop. On the protools site, these laptops were certified by them to be used, HP Elitebook 8570W, Dell Precision M4700 and Dell Precision M6700. These are all workstation models and seems to be they aren't available in my country for some reason and they exhibit too much power than my brother actually requires. 

The HP Elitebook 8570P is available here, but I am unsure about its performance. So guys, please recommend some laptops.

Thank You.

EDIT: 15 inch screen is more prefered as there is lots of stuff on the screen to be worked at.

Edited by sumitmak

13 inch or 15 inch?

15 inch prefered. I will update in the OP

I'll give you highly recommended laptop that meets your specs in a bit (when i'm done with work).

It's an amazing notebook from Asus just hang on for a bit before deciding haha.

:rolleyes: we live in India, so that may be way out of our reach. We are looking into the common branded laptops(Asus, Dell, HP, etc)

Clevo is more common-branded than you think. You just have not heard of them before; just like most people didn't know Samsung made products for Apple that they used in their iPhones etc. since Samsung was selling their own at the time.

People that use Clevo that I can think of off the top of my head: very old Alienware, Sager, Mythlogic, OriginPC, Eurocom, CyberpowerPC, iBuyPower, mySN, scan UK, Metabox, Avadirect, Falcon Northwest, blu mobility, Pro Star computing, Clevo Extreme Gaming, etc.

Anyway, it is important to list your country when asking for a laptop, AND YOUR OWN CURRENCY. Your profile said "india" but that profile is often wrong for many people and users who put "US dollars" as their budget limits forget that everywhere that isn't the US pays different prices for the same tech. Canada pays much more, and europe pay sometimes $500 USD more for the same thing after translating currencies.

As for what you want to get, I don't know what to recommend to you being in india, nor do I know your actual budget. If you can find a clevo rebrander in India, I would suggest looking for the W230SD (which is what I linked earlier) as I still think that's best for your brother, really.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N550JK/

Asus N550JK or it's newer version N551JK, looks really nice, is powerful and about 800-1000euro.

Comes in different CPU/HDD/SSD/RAM aswell.

It's even designed for multimedia purposes. I'm sure no one will disagree with me that this is basically THE laptop you're looking for.

Clevo is more common-branded than you think. You just have not heard of them before; just like most people didn't know Samsung made products for Apple that they used in their iPhones etc. since Samsung was selling their own at the time.

People that use Clevo that I can think of off the top of my head: very old Alienware, Sager, Mythlogic, OriginPC, Eurocom, CyberpowerPC, iBuyPower, mySN, scan UK, Metabox, Avadirect, Falcon Northwest, blu mobility, Pro Star computing, Clevo Extreme Gaming, etc.

Anyway, it is important to list your country when asking for a laptop, AND YOUR OWN CURRENCY. Your profile said "india" but that profile is often wrong for many people and users who put "US dollars" as their budget limits forget that everywhere that isn't the US pays different prices for the same tech. Canada pays much more, and europe pay sometimes $500 USD more for the same thing after translating currencies.

As for what you want to get, I don't know what to recommend to you being in india, nor do I know your actual budget. If you can find a clevo rebrander in India, I would suggest looking for the W230SD (which is what I linked earlier) as I still think that's best for your brother, really.

Yea, I should have mentioned it before. But regarding the budget, I had mentioned that range by taking into consideration the price increase that may occur due to difference in the country. So our actual budget is at around $1400 - $1600(around Rs. 75k to Rs. 100k), but since I know that the prices will be less in the US, so I decreased the budget accordingly here. I will be quite open next time when making a similar thread. I will definitely look for them here, the build seems insane for the price. Hope to find them. If not, then I may look if they are up for an international delivery. Thanks for link though, it looks great.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N550JK/

Asus N550JK or it's newer version N551JK, looks really nice, is powerful and about 800-1000euro.

Comes in different CPU/HDD/SSD/RAM aswell.

It's even designed for multimedia purposes. I'm sure no one will disagree with me that this is basically THE laptop you're looking for.

I did find a retailer for the N551JK, hope to get a good deal for it. So a laptop around those specs would be decent to do the job, correct? Once I know the reference specs, I think I can look for more options and then decide. There is still a month left before we buy one. So Im trying my best to understand laptop hardware  :P

I did find a retailer for the N551JK, hope to get a good deal for it. So a laptop around those specs would be decent to do the job, correct? Once I know the reference specs, I think I can look for more options and then decide. There is still a month left before we buy one. So Im trying my best to understand laptop hardware  :P

The N551JK even has a dedicated GPU which is like one of the better ones out there atm as far as 15inch notebooks go.

It'll give a lot of bang for buck at a price of 800-1000, make sure you find one with a SSD or HDD (whatever you prefer) and enough RAM and you're good ;)

If not, then I may look if they are up for an international delivery. Thanks for link though, it looks great.

They are up for it. You just would not be able to handle warranty without shipping it back, but if you only get a 1-year warranty it may be ok. I hope you find a retailer near you; I'm 100% sure they exist. I just don't know about them.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday