make a power supply quieter

Hi :) 

so there's the problem : my power supply is a bit loud and I want to make it quieter but I dont know how.

I have a cooler master extreme 2 725w. this psu dont have fan on the top so i first tought to use foam and recover it but will it be succesfull?

I'm open to all your suggestions.

thank in advance :)

Hi :)

so there's the problem : my power supply is a bit loud and I want to make it quieter but I dont know how.

I have a cooler master extreme 2 725w. this psu dont have fan on the top so i first tought to use foam and recover it but will it be succesfull?

I'm open to all your suggestions.

thank in advance :)

replace the fan.....

Noise in a power supply usually comes from vibration. If everything's working properly the only source of vibration is the fan. That being said the interfacce between the PSU and the case can make that sound louder. If this is happening you can grab some rubberised material and fit it between the case and the PSU to dampen the vibration.

replace the fan.....

It's really that simple. It's basically the only thing in your PSU that moves. Just get a better, quitter, and sexier one.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

replace the fan.....

Noise in a power supply usually comes from vibration. If everything's working properly the only source of vibration is the fan. That being said the interfacce between the PSU and the case can make that sound louder. If this is happening you can grab some rubberised material and fit it between the case and the PSU to dampen the vibration.

it dont vibrate at all i! the noise is coming from the inside and he's really loud. also i dont wnat to replace the fan because opening the power supply would canceled the guaranty

it dont vibrate at all i! the noise is coming from the inside and he's really loud. also i dont wnat to replace the fan because opening the power supply would canceled the guaranty

Opening the PSU will void the warranty, the things is most PSU's use extremely high RPM fans, which can cause excess turbulence or airflow noise.

The human ear detects frquencies between 20Hz, and 20,000 Hz. I don't know about you, but I can only feel the lower end of that. Definately not more than a few hundred Hertz, and nowhere near what a fan with a cheap bearing is putting out. if it's whining it might be a bad component in the power supply. Anything else is your fan, and yes, it's probably using your case like a bass box. Especially if it has no insulation between the PSU and the case.

There is an easy way to test if it's using your case as an amplifier..... pull it out of your case, leave everything else plugged in, and fire the computer up with the PSU in your hand.

there is a 120mm fan in that psu, its a quite easy swap, but there are many things to consider

• You will void warrenty
  • How much do you load your PSU, it can damage if the fan does not follow the load correctly
  • is i exhausting hot air today?

I have swapped many Fan´s in psu´s, and mostly if have sought out information on the fan inside my PSU, air pressure ETC, and found one with the same or better performance at lower speeds, and simple kept et at a FIXED speed, then measure exhaust air and component temp before and after, to make sure it will be stable.

Killing a PSU might inflict damage to other components.

I would take a look at my system..

If it´s a single GPU system, then 400-450 watt is all you need.

can´t find anything on the "efficiency" so it might be bronze or less, so it will generate a lot of heat, a Noctua 120mm flex fan, then running it at 7v might do the trick... its an effective fan with a fairly high CFM..

putting a potentiometer on it (fan controller) then trying to turn it down until it´s at a resonable noise leve, then checking temps on PSU in a load scenario (burn testing GPU/CPU 1-2-3 hours)...

The human ear detects frquencies between 20Hz, and 20,000 Hz. I don't know about you, but I can only feel the lower end of that. Definately not more than a few hundred Hertz, and nowhere near what a fan with a cheap bearing is putting out.

If you can only hear a few hundred Hz, then you have a severe hearing impairment. The human voice commonly works between 300 and 3000Hz, and I am pretty sure you can EASILY hear above 10.000Hz.

If you can only hear a few hundred Hz, then you have a severe hearing impairment. The human voice commonly works between 300 and 3000Hz, and I am pretty sure you can EASILY hear above 10.000Hz.

feel...not hear. You can feel the bass from a big speaker. Pretty sure you're not going to be feeling too many dog whistles. The comment included human hearing response ranges.

First things first, replace that PSU, it is very bad.

The noise you hear is coil whine, you can't do anything about it.

That doesn't matter, your PSU is very bad and should be replaced

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

feel...not hear. You can feel the bass from a big speaker. Pretty sure you're not going to be feeling too many dog whistles. The comment included human hearing response ranges.

Sorry, misread what you said. Yes, very high frequency vibrations tend to be difficult to feel.

The human ear detects frquencies between 20Hz, and 20,000 Hz. I don't know about you, but I can only feel the lower end of that. Definately not more than a few hundred Hertz, and nowhere near what a fan with a cheap bearing is putting out. if it's whining it might be a bad component in the power supply. Anything else is your fan, and yes, it's probably using your case like a bass box. Especially if it has no insulation between the PSU and the case.

There is an easy way to test if it's using your case as an amplifier..... pull it out of your case, leave everything else plugged in, and fire the computer up with the PSU in your hand.

but if he's using mmy case as a bass amplifier how can i make it quieter?

I just try what you tell me and yes it use it as a bass box but notthat much. What can I do?

I just try what you tell me and yes it use it as a bass box but notthat much. What can I do?

grab a sheet of thinish rubber, and cut out a grommet for the PSU mount on the back of the case. Lay some of the same rubberised sheeting between the PSU and the bottom of the case (if a bottom mount). Cut out any ventilation needed for the case fan.

Basicly you're trying to remove contact between the case and the PSU. Less contact, less resonance.

grab a sheet of thinish rubber, and cut out a grommet for the PSU mount on the back of the case. Lay some of the same rubberised sheeting between the PSU and the bottom of the case (if a bottom mount). Cut out any ventilation needed for the case fan.

Basicly you're trying to remove contact between the case and the PSU. Less contact, less resonance.

thank