Planning on spending $1.5k on FF setup tomorrow, need opinions please

Quick background:

-first camera was 40D + tammy 17-50 non-VC

-bought a Sigma 30 1.4 and Sigma 50-150 2.8 that I've had until now

-sold the 40D and got a 550D for the video

-thinking of selling everything above

A few years ago I really wanted FF but the prices were absurd, so I placed a pin in it and forgot about that interest. Recent plans for a vacation may have reignited that... but anyway, here's what I've spent my entire fking Saturday drooling over, rather than studying for exams:

-5D $500

-24-105 f4L IS $650

-70-200 f4L $500

And all of this was found on kijiji in very close proximity to where I live. It's like I'm destined to spend money tomorrow.

These are their asking prices; what would be "good" prices here?

I'll probably keep the 550D for a while longer to play around with the idea of keeping the secondary lens on a backup body, and for video.

My only concern is that the 5D has iso in 1/3 increments, and (correct me if I'm wrong) that can't be disabled with the 5D firmware.

The way I see it, the prices are stable and if it's not good then I'll just resell it all.

I heard of this rule to wait one day for every $10 to prevent an impulse purchase, but I have a good feeling about this so I'd like to expedite it. That's why I'm asking your guises opinions, is this a crappy idea?

I just realized that this gear sounds really ancient, but honestly this is like the shit that I dreamed about in highschool now finally within reach sooooo yeah :3

Don't just tell me what I want to hear lol, I need to have the cold hard facts. If this is a stupid idea, someone needs to tell me I'm being stupid so I can keep that in mind when I go to spend my money on three separate occasions for a total of $1.5k. I need to hear reasons against this purchase from someone with experience (not reading off spec sheets)

the lenses will do, they are fine and proper lenses if you ask me, being form the canon L series mostly says enough.

the 5D however will become a small problem.

i don't know much about the pricing, but if im not mistaken a 5Dmk2 can blow your entire budget already, never saw a mk1 on sale though, i personally doubt that if you find a mk1 in proper conditions, with roughly 250K clicks it could go for 500-1k alone.

it's smart to keep the 550D, non full frame bodies can last quite a long time, aslong you know how to work with them.

so the best you can do is go and check them out, see if they are worth the price and their current shape.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

What about the prices, do they look reasonable as-is?

How much is my existing gear worth now?

-550d

-sigma 30mm 1.4

-sigma 50-150 2.8

-canon 18-55 IS whitish gray ring version

-canon 50 1.8

What about the prices, do they look reasonable as-is?

How much is my existing gear worth now?

-550d

-sigma 30mm 1.4

-sigma 50-150 2.8

-canon 18-55 IS whitish gray ring version

-canon 50 1.8

the 24-105 lens is ahrd to put a pricetag on because it comes standard with all 5D systems.

But the new price is just above the €700, which translates to roughly $700 new price(most lenses get 1:1 conversion between EU and US) so it's priced a little high

and the 70-200 lens is roughly half the price of a new one, which seems right in my eyes.

for your current gear i would say, keep the lenses with the red dot(EF mount) for sure, because canon's ful frame DSLRs have this connector only.

but your i will guess your whole (current) gear combined for roughly, 1K all together(note im bad with pricing) altough probablly lower because the 18-55mm lens is a kit lens form the 550D.

but if i have to price things seperate i wouldn't know how much, altough my guess is that for the 550D+18-55mm kit lens you can get roughly $300-$400.

altough i would recommand keeping a back-up body for sure when you go FF, its always nice to be able to fall back to something else when you don't want to risk your more expensive camera

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

to be honest i would just look for a 5dmk2 for around $900 adn just get a 70-200 F4 for now

I wouldnt even bother looking at a 1st gen 5d, I would look into getting a 5dmk2 at LEAST

What about a 6d? maybe save up for that You can pick them up for pretty cheap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why?

to be honest i would just look for a 5dmk2 for around $900 adn just get a 70-200 F4 for now

Why?

I wouldnt even bother looking at a 1st gen 5d, I would look into getting a 5dmk2 at LEAST

What about a 6d? maybe save up for that You can pick them up for pretty cheap

Why?

I don't need to know what other people would do. I need to hear reasons for and against what I'm thinking about doing. What are the reasons against the 5D, considering the low price of a FF sensor?

Have you ever traveled with camera gear before?

I'm on mobile so I can't do a comprehensive answer but if you haven't traveled with gear before moving too FF is one of the worst ideas you can do before going on vacation.

Why?

I don't need to know what other people would do. I need to hear reasons for and against what I'm thinking about doing. What are the reasons against the 5D, considering the low price of a FF sensor?

Well (I'm just gonna go through the more major upgrades):

1. 5d no video/5dm2 1080 30fps

2. digic2/digic4

3. 2.5" 230k screen/3" 920k

4.ISO 100-1600(up to 50-6400)/ ISO 100-6400 (up to 50-25600)

5.no weather sealing/ some weathersealing

6.no external mic input/ external mic input

7. rated 100 000 actuations/150 000

8. 1390mAH/1800mAH (small difference)

9. 96% OVF cover/ 98%OVF (small difference)

10. 12.8MP/ 21.1MP (alright upgrade)

11. no live view/ 100% liveview

The 5dmk2 was a revolutionary upgrade to the 5D, unlike the 5Dmk3 to 5dMk2.  

It's worth the prob not so big price difference (depending where you live). There is also a high chance the 5D would prob be closed to dead sensor compare to its sucessor

Why?

Why?

Why?

Well in general the 5D is an old camera (even the 5D mkiii is showing its age), poor high iso performance, video is nonexistent, only 3 fps, poor dynamic range, poor colour depth, no weather sealing, not 100% viewfinder coverage, small low res screen, no live view, only 1 card slot.

Honestly, not trying to rain on your parade, but I don't think the 5D is a good option, it's just too old.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

There's no raining on parade, I asked for reasons and I got them, so now I need to consider how/if they affect me. 5Dii is three times the price of 5D, so that's the other side of the coin. That's $800 difference, which is a 24-70.

So I finally got to a computer so I can expand on my post. 

You said you're going on vacation. I highly do not recommend looking into full frame gear for a vacation. It's unnecessarily bulky and heavy for traveling. I've traveled on vacation (air travel) in the past with my gear (FF body, 70-200, 24-70, 28-300, 14, 50, 85, speedlights). The first time I traveled, I brought it all and this is how it played out. By the second day the 70-200 got left behind in the hotel because it's just dam heavy. The following few days the primes stay because they're just inconvenient, and by a week in I only take my Body + 28-300. The weight, bulk, and constant need to rummage around and change lenses just kill my desire to actually use my good glass.  

Now when I travel I swap with my buddy for his crop + 18-200 + 35 1.8 and a GoPro. In my opinion that's the best combination. You're not lugging around pounds and pounds of gear and you don't have to think much about getting the shot, if it's daytime the superzoom is awesome because you get everything with a twist of your wrist, at night the 1.8 + pop up flash is a great combo. The GoPro is awesome because you can submerge it and basically do anything with it at the beach, it just offers a lot of freedom. (I like to shove a kitchen timer in my bag so I have instant panning time lapses).

For me you're going on vacation to have fun with buddies/family not mess about with camera settings and lenses. A camera on vacation is to document the amazing scenery and awesome moments on your travels. A pixelated noisey blurry selfie shot from a phone of you and your buddies going wild at a club is worth a lot more than a technically perfect picture of something that someone has already shot.  

You said you're going on vacation. I highly do not recommend looking into full frame gear for a vacation. It's unnecessarily bulky and heavy for traveling. I've traveled on vacation (air travel) in the past with my gear (FF body, 70-200, 24-70, 28-300, 14, 50, 85, speedlights). The first time I traveled, I brought it all and this is how it played out. By the second day the 70-200 got left behind in the hotel because it's just dam heavy. The following few days the primes stay because they're just inconvenient, and by a week in I only take my Body + 28-300. The weight, bulk, and constant need to rummage around and change lenses just kill my desire to actually use my good glass.  

Now when I travel I swap with my buddy for his crop + 18-200 + 35 1.8 and a GoPro. In my opinion that's the best combination. You're not lugging around pounds and pounds of gear and you don't have to think much about getting the shot, if it's daytime the superzoom is awesome because you get everything with a twist of your wrist, at night the 1.8 + pop up flash is a great combo. The GoPro is awesome because you can submerge it and basically do anything with it at the beach, it just offers a lot of freedom. (I like to shove a kitchen timer in my bag so I have instant panning time lapses).

For me you're going on vacation to have fun with buddies/family not mess about with camera settings and lenses. A camera on vacation is to document the amazing scenery and awesome moments on your travels. A pixelated noisey blurry selfie shot from a phone of you and your buddies going wild at a club is worth a lot more than a technically perfect picture of something that someone has already shot.  

personally I usually have a whole setup (which I don't usually bring on trips unless for business), and a travel camera setup which I tend to use a mirrorless with a 24-70 f2.8 and a 50mm 1.4 equivalent, or a enthusiast compact like a fujifilm x20 or a sony rx100 

Thanks for the advice. Where did you go? I went to Orlando recently, 550D and 30mm 1.4 on person with speedlite in the bag, just like you advise. But, I would imagine that it'd be different if it were a sight seeing vacation? Lots of landscape, mountains, glaciers (I think?), cruise ship. I'm still not sure what to bring though... Definitely 50 1.4 and at least one flash for dinners, want to bring 24-105 f4L IS but it isn't quite sharp enough. 70-200 f4L isn't the most expensive, but it is my sharpest glass so I'd like to bring it, but considering what you said I'm not sure... I can fit everything in my bag, just the two speedlites are awkward to fit without feeling like it's going to be crushed (grr!!!)

Thanks for the advice. Where did you go? I went to Orlando recently, 550D and 30mm 1.4 on person with speedlite in the bag, just like you advise. But, I would imagine that it'd be different if it were a sight seeing vacation? Lots of landscape, mountains, glaciers (I think?), cruise ship. I'm still not sure what to bring though... Definitely 50 1.4 and at least one flash for dinners, want to bring 24-105 f4L IS but it isn't quite sharp enough. 70-200 f4L isn't the most expensive, but it is my sharpest glass so I'd like to bring it, but considering what you said I'm not sure... I can fit everything in my bag, just the two speedlites are awkward to fit without feeling like it's going to be crushed (grr!!!)

Mostly southern USA and western Canada.

In all honesty, I would look around my photography buddies for a all-in-one setup. Maybe trade them your FF gear for the few weeks you're on vacation. You're not being paid to take photos and a smaller camera offers way more benefits than a large FF. Don't worry about sharpness or a perfect shot. Who cares? If it's an epic landscape, its been done by someone with a lot more gear and time. If it's a shot of your buddies/family, where are you in the picture? Honestly a convenient non-intrusive set-up for snapshots will be more than enough and allow you to enjoy your vacation with friends and family.  

a smaller camera offers way more benefits than a large FF  

There are small FF cameras like the A7 don't forget :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For travel, a smaller camera is always better, regardless of seonsor size.

The main problem with me when travelling is conspicuousness - I don't like people seeing I have a big expensive camera, so usually use my phone. not such a problem when I'm travelling around Australia or the US, but I was in Turkmenistan recently and you really don't want to draw attention to yourself in a side street in Ashgabat. Likewise, I've been detained/arrested in Kuwait and Angola before for being suspicious. 

That said, sometimes when you just nail that shot, it's so worth the sore neck and other physical gripes, but I'd still get the smallest camera possible, especially if you're travelling a lot. Another massive advantage of a crop sensor is wider lens compatibilty and for close up shots I find it much better, though is occasionally lacking in landscapes, but a suitable wide angle lens can help remedy that. In short, apart from size, I've never been let down by my 550D (except for video) and can still get a lot out of it by using different lenses.

The main problem with me when travelling is conspicuousness - I don't like people seeing I have a big expensive camera, so usually use my phone. not such a problem when I'm travelling around Australia or the US, but I was in Turkmenistan recently and you really don't want to draw attention to yourself in a side street in Ashgabat. Likewise, I've been detained/arrested in Kuwait and Angola before for being suspicious. 

I was in Ashgabat .. fucking ghost town of a city!

I was in Ashgabat .. fucking ghost town of a city!

Go to Mary or Turkmenbashi :P

Ashgabat is a weird ass city though.

Go to Mary or Turkmenbashi :P

Ashgabat is a weird ass city though.

Do NOT talk to me about Mary.....

We were forced to stay there at a motel... set off the next morning meaning to head north to Uzbekistan.. accidently went south... to Afghanistan

We bribed the guard to get through.. only to ask for directions and we find out we are in Afghanistan OOPS, so we drove back to Mary and stayed in the same Motel again 

HAHA fuck my entire life

Do NOT talk to me about Mary.....

Right, we have a surprising amount in common. 

Right, we have a surprising amount in common. 

read above, added more detail :D

read above, added more detail :D

Wow, nice. We got through Mary uneventfully, though not my favourite place in the world and made it to and through Uzbek without much to tell and crossed into Afghanistan (deliberately) through Tajikistan and visited the Wakhan Corridor and the Afghan Pamir. I've never been on a trip where I had no idea what language I was meant to be speaking at any given time.