Opinions on Windows vs OSX

I am curious to hear what people think of Microsoft's Operating Systems vs Apple's. In this post I am going to explain my views on the operating systems and would love to here other opinions. I am assuming most people here have not spent much time using OSX but still curious.

Me

I grew up using Macs and used the latest OSX operating systems from Tiger to Mt Lion. While I have always owned a Mac I have always had it boot camped with a Windows operating system. I have also built my own pc which is running Windows 8. I would say I have more experience with OSX but have used Windows 7 and 8 for many years. Obviously the Windows operating systems have the advantage of supporting more software and games but ignoring that and focusing on general functionality I find myself preferring OSX (Mt Lion over Windows 7/8).

Why OSX is better?

I am able to switch windows faster. Can sorta make it work 3rd party apps(which on windows have latency).

Finder looks better and is easier to change views then File Explorer.

Windows 8 removed the start button. (wtf microsoft)

Better full screen apps when compatible.

Preview is better then any of the built in windows photo viewers.

Better 3rd party application available for students.

A lot easier to find and launch any random application.

Upgrades or buying fresh is cheaper, smoother, and just better.

Cons to OSX 

Cant play most games.

Cant run a lot of cool applications

Doesnt work very well on PCs. (esp AMD cpus)

Honestly what pisses me off the most about Microsoft's operating systems is that they cost way too much. A windows 8 upgrade is $80 and a full version of 7/8 is over $100. The new OSX operating systems are $20-30 and for multiple installs and fresh installs. Microsoft is stealing peoples money bc it knows people will need to upgrade eventually.

Unfortunately OSX inst directly competing with the Windows OpSyts since its more hardware related whether u get one or the other, but I wish it was bc Microsoft would have to step up its game and give us better cheaper software. 

This was my opinions and my rant. What do you think about what Microsoft has done with the Windows experience.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Between the two, OS X. OS X supports more open source development by default, and retains that Unix-like feel to it. I use Windows because I have it freely available through Dreamspark.

The eventual plan is to switch to Linux. Gaming is gaining momentum on both OS X and Linux, and there'll be less incentives to stick to Windows.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I have had very little experiene with apple's laptops and desktop computers but they seem to cost a lot. Especially when I take a look at the hardware. I think you can get the same hardware of the average apple computer for about half the price in a windows build. Also I personally hate the solid white theme...I like colours!I also WANT to build my own custom computers and fiddle around with them which apple does not support. I NEED better hardware which apple can't provide me!

What do I use at the moment? I use windows 7 (Need the start button!) but it also has it's flaws. Definitely now that the desktop w8 is actually meant for mobile devices (smartphones and tablets).

My plan is to move over to linux....but in my little experience I've had some probles with it. Sometimes when I boot or shutdown my system freezes (that and other minor issues). I love the concept of having 100% free and legal software. Now also on smartphones, tablets and televisions.

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

On the point about the price: Microsoft updates Windows once every 3 years and Apple updates Mac OS every year. Not to say that it justifies the price differance, but is part of the reason.

On some of the other points:

Unlike you I grew up with Linux based system, so at times I find both Windows and Mac OS clunky and closed. It's all a matter of learning the secrets of the system as my dad used to say.   

As for today, with my 25 years of experience, I find myself only using Mac OS for editing video and doing some of my audio production. For everything else I just find it to closed. 

And I am beginning to feel the same vibe from Windows. With Windows 8, Microsoft really toke a wrong turn in my opnion. They are beginning to limit what developers can do on the system. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

alt tab to switch between programs fast on windows

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

i can't see any reason why i would want a mac i would just need to boot into windows to anything anyway

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I have had very little experiene with apple's laptops and desktop computers but they seem to cost a lot. Especially when I take a look at the hardware. I think you can get the same hardware of the average apple computer for about half the price in a windows build.

That is simply not true at all. Show me one example and I will tell you why you are wrong.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

i can't see any reason why i would want a mac i would just need to boot into windows to anything anyway

You've never owned one, how can you know?

I do like Apple with their ecosystem, but I've grew up with Windows. To me it's harder to use a iMac than my own PC even when I have decent experience with it, that's my only reason to not buy a iMac (I'm planning to buy it in the future tho).

I do like this topic btw :-)

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Well first off:

Better 3rd party application available for students.

Name a few 3rd party apps that actually exist for Mac OS X that you don't have to fork over your wallet?

Now, I came from the Unix world of terminal programming to PC's for a short stint then fell for the Mac OS (non X then), mainly because it looked cool and I drank the Kool Aid. Then later, I discovered all the programs I needed to use to get work done were not available on the Mac or I had to pay an arm and a leg for it, which I could not afford. Then the software I did buy was soon left for dead after an OS upgrade because Apple thought who would want to use an older program, people would just upgrade it, yeay, but I was not rich so was left behind with the older OS because I couldn't afford the upgrade price. :(

Kool Aid wore off.

Then I saved up for a PC and guess what, I did have to buy some software for it at first but with OS upgrades I was still and still am able to use the older software! Super Yeay! Then I could always install Linux or Open Solaris on my PC's with out too much fuss, Mac, well who's even going to bother?

I still hear people discussing how they're running VM's or trying Boot Camp and they complain how this or that doesn't work and how they need to tweak this and that to get the VM or Boot Camp to run their programs which are not available on Mac OS and never will be. When's the last time you've heard of someone installing Mac OS X on a PC to make a Hackintosh to get a program working to get some real work done? No, they do it for the LOL's not for the $$$.

If you like throwing your $$$ around sure get a Mac I don't blame you, or if you are still high on the Kool Aid go for it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

alt tab to switch between programs fast on windows

Uh... this is in OS X too though?

I actually like OS X's aesthetics and its general smoothness. The multiple desktops/full screen apps are nice too. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of how it handles app installing/uninstalling. Maybe it's just because I've never used a Mac very much?

On the other hand, I like the Windows environment because of games and applications. I'm a programmer and I like Visual Studio, which is Windows-only.

I still hear people discussing how they're running VM's or trying Boot Camp and they complain how this or that doesn't work and how they need to tweak this and that to get the VM or Boot Camp to run their programs which are not available on Mac OS and never will be. When's the last time you've heard of someone installing Mac OS X on a PC to make a Hackintosh to get a program working to get some real work done? No, they do it for the LOL's not for the $$$.

OS X or iOS development.

That is simply not true at all. Show me one example and I will tell you why you are wrong.

this is just 9gag post, i'll compare my build with one of the IMacs from the store when I have more time, not trying to avoid anything here.

http://9gag.com/gag/6479559

Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I actually like OS X's aesthetics and its general smoothness. The multiple desktops/full screen apps are nice too. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of how it handles app installing/uninstalling. Maybe it's just because I've never used a Mac very much?

On the other hand, I like the Windows environment because of games and applications. I'm a programmer and I like Visual Studio, which is Windows-only.

That's so true! I learnt some programming in school with visual studio and it's a very great environment for programming, the best as far as I know!

Chivalry isn't dead!

Windows 8 removed the start button. (wtf microsoft)

It's technically still there...

I've never owned a Mac, but I've used them throughout elementary/middle school, and I recently test drove OS X in a VM for a while.

For me there's no compelling reason to switch from Windows.  It doesn't feel more efficient or easier to use than Windows, it's just different.

I've also been familiarizing myself with Linux for the past 3 years.  To me OS X simply feels like a restricted Linux (which makes sense).

And maybe it's just me but I don't think OS X is pretty.  At all.  Appearance-wise Windows 7 is probably my favorite, Ubuntu's Unity being a close second.

I'm not saying OS X is bad.  It just doesn't wipe the floor with Windows, not even a little bit.  They're about equal in my book.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

You've never owned one, how can you know?

because i can easily just emulate the operating system to test it out but there's no point

and what i mean by needing to boot into windows to do anything is that most mac users probably have access to windows in some form, to game and for other software that just isn't made for the mac so for me to switch to using a mac just wouldn't make sense i switch big things like an os when i know I'm getting more, not just an interface that some people say looks nice

OS X or iOS development.

i know its on osx i was just saying how to do it because he said it was slow to switch between programs on windows

I switched to using Mac for work a few years ago and I don't see myself ever going back to Windows.

OS X just feels faster and more stable. It doesn't seem to grow in size and degrade over time. There is no registry, applications keep more to themselves (easier and faster to install/uninstall). No defragmentation or trim to worry about... everything just works.

There are so many little things in OS X that made working it in both easier and faster for me. It does everything Windows does and more. The basic included apps in OS X I also feel are of higher quality than their counterparts in Windows.

The only annoying things I had to get used to is that Mac and Windows uses the ctrl key differently, and Mac has the cmd key. OS X used to have poor mouse support and missing some PC-like keyboard features (all fixed with free third party apps) but they seem to have changed all that with Mountain Lion.

this is just 9gag post, i'll compare my build with one of the IMacs from the store when I have more time, not trying to avoid anything here.

http://9gag.com/gag/6479559

Well, you don't see whats wrong with that example?

1) The iMac is completly manufactured and ready for action

2) The iMac comes in a "case" that is rarely bigger than the monitor from the propossed setup alone

3) The iMac has a much higher built quality

4) The monitor in the setup is a cheap tn-panel vs IPS Panel + pre-calibrated in factory + anti-reflective coating (NOT anti-glare)

5) Ram purchased from OEM is ALWAYS more expensive. Buy that RAM yourself an save a couple hundred £

6) The iMac has a resell value in 4 years that is probably higher than the PC + the car after 2 years.

-----

Change the SSD to 3TB Fusion Drive and add the 32GB Ram yoursand you are at £2400.

Guess what, that is exactly the same price that the self-built solution would cost with an 27" IPS monitor ...

You know (this now old) picture?

imac_vs_pc_1.jpg

You don't like the asthetics of the iMac anyway, you say? Guess what, than the iMac is cleary not for you.

But hey ... let's compare the iMac to other PC manufacturers AIO solutions.

What you say? Ahhh, right. There is nothing that is comparable speced to the iMac, something with actual GPU + CPU power.

Well alright there is the HP Z1. Let us try that ... Oh no even more expensive than your beloved iMac.

UNIX based operating systems are better that Windows by default. There is literally no disadvantage of OSX I can think of other than the lack of game support, and I'm playing games less and less now. Anyone with a decent paying job can afford a Mac, the people who put them down just can't afford them. Not to say anything is wrong with that, it's just true. They are also marked up fairly heavily for a reason. It's not like you only pay for components in the casing.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

-snip-

Personally, I'd compare Macbooks spec-for-spec to Lenovo Thinkpads. Now those have outstanding build quality for a comparable and/or lower price. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Personally, I'd compare Macbooks spec-for-spec to Lenovo Thinkpads. Now those have outstanding build quality for a comparable and/or lower price. 

Ok let's do that, compare them. You will see that somewhat comparable Thinkpads are more expensive and some are equal in price.

Let's start with the current Macbook Pro 15" Retina (ignore the "Retina Resolution")

On a Macbook pro 13" (Late 2011) and tbh I really do like OS X my bootup times on it (on a standard 7200rpm drive) are less than 30seconds, I can reboot into it before skype can even register than I've logged off. I've got bootcamp so my windows partition is running most of the time because I game but if I didn't game the smoothness and speed of OS X would take me instantly ._.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Ok let's do that, compare them. You will see that somewhat comparable Thinkpads are more expensive and some are equal in price.

Let's start with the current Macbook Pro 15" Retina (ignore the "Retina Resolution")

T530 is the most common/popular Thinkpad option. More general purpose, and closest in specs to the Macbook pro. There are less and more expensive thinkpads (W series for workstations, not a fair comparison, L series for various purposes, X series for ultra portability and 20 hours of battery life which only costs about $1000 or so depending on sales, with an i5 CPU, and 8GB of RAM).

tRRNjgr.png

Same price. Excluding Lenovo's very frequent promotions. The above config is supposed to be at least $100 off the web price.

Better processor. Has a lower i5 option, clocked at 3.2GHz, for $80 less.

Everything else more or less identical.

9.1 hours battery life in the default configuration (Thinkpad), which handsomely beats out the Macbook. In real world use, the T530 tops about 7 hours, which is comparable to a Macbook.

Thinkpads are more than comparable. And their construction is as good, if not better, than a Macbook.

The other bigger problem with Macs is what they charge for upgrades/custom configs (in the above example, an 8GB upgrade is $100, while Lenovo charges $80). Obviously that's not as extreme as Apple charging $1400 for a 0.4GHz overclock in a different example. http://cdn.thenextweb.com/files/2010/09/mac01.jpg

We're getting off topic. This is about the software, not the hardware.