I have a great idea for an rpg much like final fantasy. Where do I start?

BecomingEthereal
Go to solution Solved by madknight3,

After some toying around in the programs I like unity better due to the UI. would you recommend i learn C# or java?

In Unity you can code in three languages

• C#
  • UnityScript (Javascript-like syntax)
  • Boo (Python-like syntax)

I would choose C# as it is widely used both inside and outside of the Unity world. Java isn't natively supported so I wouldn't pick that.

I have had an interest in programming and game development. I would like to make a game close to final fantasy 4 advance but redo story, animations, and characters.

While I could try to rom hack or rpg maker the game, doing any of those requires some coding so why don't I learn how to start from scratch and have something in actually proud of.

I am aware of the time this could take and the resources required my question is where do I start? What code language so make a base game engine for something like this. I am completely lost and hope someone here can show me in the right direction.

Why don't you just build the game from the ground up? There are TONS of engines out in the world today to let you do this fairly easy.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I have had an interest in programming and game development. I would like to make a game close to final fantasy 4 advance but redo story, animations, anf characters.

While I could try to rom hack or rpg maker the game, doing any of those requires some coding so why don't I learn how to start from scratch and have something in actually proud of.

I am aware of the time this could take and the resources required my question is where do I start? What code language so make a base game engine for something like this. I am completely lost and hope someone here can show me in the right direction.

If you want to actually make a game engine, you would have to use C probably.

But you can use an existing game engine too.

What kind of FF was FF4? 2D, or 3D or whatever?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Unity?

It's great for everything. Scripting is done in javascript or C#. Suggest you do it in c#.

I don't suggest making an actual game from a game engine you coded from scratch. There are way more viable options out there. Building your own engine is good practice though, I recommend it. It will help you understand a lot of things. However, if you're planing to make an actual game with it, it would be a bad idea. 

Anyway, in Java it would be the easiest.You could do it even without external libraries.

Otherwise, in C++ you would have to use SDL or SFML. (or something else entirely)

I've made a few nice game engines (one 2D, the other 3D), and I learned a lot from them.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Why don't you just build the game from the ground up? There are TONS of engines out in the world today to let you do this fairly easy.

This is true I could find one, I will have to look into it.

Do you know what code I should start to learn? I bet it changes depending on the engine.

If you want to actually make a game engine, you would have to use C probably.

But you can use an existing game engine too.

What kind of FF was FF4? 2D, or 3D or whatever?

It would be a 2D game much like pokemon would be another example (more like FF)

And thank you for the recommendation

Holy hell, the amount of times I attempted to make a game and just got so demotivated due to the complication of coding. Anyways, I would recommend Unity its a great program and is not too hard compared against these other coding programs people use.

Unreal engine 4 > unity in my opinion

Unity?

I don't suggest making an actual game from a game engine you coded from scratch. There are way more viable options out there. Building your own engine is good practice though, I recommend it. It will help you understand a lot of things. However, if you're planing to make an actual game with it, it would be a bad idea.

Anyway, in Java it would be the easiest.

Otherwise, in C++ you could use SDL or SFML. (or something else entirely)

I believe unity is 3D? I will look at it when I am home.

This was very helpful thank you for the insight I would have been the guy trying to do that xD

"Fairly easily" shut up. really

If you were looking to use an existing Engine I would recommend Unity3D (don't get scared by the 3D part, you can use it for 2D games too)

In that engine you will use C# or Javascript.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I believe unity is 3D? I will look at it when I am home.

This was very helpful thank you for the insight I would have been the guy trying to do that xD

Unity is mainly 3D but can also work with 2D just as easily.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Holy hell, the amount of times I attempted to make a game and just got so demotivated due to the complication of coding. Anyways, I would recommend Unity its a great program and is not too hard compared against these other coding programs people use.

Haha people keep saying unity so it sounds like it would be the best to start with.

Everyone is extremely helpful I was worried about being shunned xD

"Fairly easily" shut up. really

Very true, im attempting to make a game right now as well..... It's a bit*h to learn

Haha people keep saying unity so it sounds like it would be the best to start with.

Everyone is extremely helpful I was worried about being shunned xD

Unreal engine 4 bro, at least give it a look

Unity is better for beginners and indie studios.

Unity is better for beginners and indie studios.

I'm 14 and developing my own game in unreal engine...... I've tried unity as well and I think unreal is easier

Part of it will be what the OP wants to code in. If they want to code in C# then they can use Unity. If they want to code in C++ then they can use Unreal.

There's nothing wrong with trying out both and seeing which you prefer.

Not to ruin your dreams guys but programming for the first time isn't recommended in any C# framework.

Learning the core languages and the syntax is what I'd recommend first, make several other things before starting with a game.

This is true I could find one, I will have to look into it.

Do you know what code I should start to learn? I bet it changes depending on the engine.

U

N

I

T

Y

(C#)

This

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It will be interesting to see how they work in 2D

Unreal engine 4 bro, at least give it a look

I will don't worry I will look for what will make this the best I can think.

Not to ruin your dreams guys but programming for the first time isn't recommended in any C# framework.

Learning the core languages and the syntax is what I'd recommend first, make several other things before starting with a game.

This was actually my plan and I understand that, would you recommend what to learn?

Or should I pick an engine and learn the code first?

Just something to keep in mind when choosing between Unity and Unreal. If you make a successful game, Unity will cost at most $4500 ($1500 if you don't want mobile platforms.) If you make the next Minecraft, Unreal will cost millions.