I have a great idea for an rpg much like final fantasy. Where do I start?

BecomingEthereal
Go to solution Solved by madknight3,

After some toying around in the programs I like unity better due to the UI. would you recommend i learn C# or java?

In Unity you can code in three languages

• C#
  • UnityScript (Javascript-like syntax)
  • Boo (Python-like syntax)

I would choose C# as it is widely used both inside and outside of the Unity world. Java isn't natively supported so I wouldn't pick that.

This was actually my plan and I understand that, would you recommend what to learn?

Or should I pick an engine and learn the code first?

If you have no prior programming experience, then you might find it easier to just focus on learning the language first before adding the game engine on top of it. You can always create a text based version of the game (or just pieces of the game) for practice while you're learning.

That doesn't mean you can't start getting familiar with the tools from Unity/Unreal though. You can certainly play around with them. It's just that knowing how to code in the language being used will help a lot when you reach the part of the Unity/Unreal tutorials where you start writing the code.

Just something to keep in mind when choosing between Unity and Unreal. If you make a successful game, Unity will cost at most $4500 ($1500 if you don't want mobile platforms.) If you make the next Minecraft, Unreal will cost millions.

I actully don't see it at that point. But I do have one question. If I do have a playable game I give it out for free and ask for donations to continue development.

Where does that fall in the legal mess?

This will be more of a fan project and a learning experience for me.

If you have no prior programming experience, then you might find it easier to just focus on learning the language first before adding the game engine on top of it. You can always create a text based version of the game (or just pieces of the game) for practice while you're learning.

That doesn't mean you can't start getting familiar with the tools from Unity/Unreal though. You can certainly play around with them. It's just that knowing how to code in the language being used will help a lot when you reach the part of the Unity/Unreal tutorials where you start writing the code.

I believe my plan would be to look at the art assets from the engines and what code the one I like uses and learn said code.

So you see any issues with that?

I actully don't see it at that point. But I do have one question. If I do have a playable game I give it out for free and ask for donations to continue development.

This will be more of a fan project and a learning experience for me.

Source for quote

• Can I create Unreal Engine 4 videos or streams and use them to generate YouTube ad revenue or Twitch donations?

Yes. You can earn advertising revenue or Twitch donations from Unreal Engine 4 videos and publish to YouTube. No royalty is owed on this revenue.

• How much do I have to pay for Unreal Engine 4?

UE4 is free to use, with a 5% royalty on gross product revenue after the first $3,000 per game per calendar quarter from commercial products. Read the EULA FAQ for more details.

While that looks like a yes I will point out that it says videos. Unless you are more saying that if I make 3000$ I have to pay 5% royalty per quarter.

If I do have a playable game I give it out for free and ask for donations to continue development.

For Unreal, if the donations have nothing to do with access to the game or in-game benefits, it doesn't count toward what you owe them. 

I don't know how Unity handles donations.

For Unreal, if the donations have nothing to do with access to the game or in-game benefits, it doesn't count toward what you owe them.

I don't know how Unity handles donations.

Yes that would be how it works. I will look into how unity handles it, that would also make a difference in what I pick

I would expect that asking for donations that are in any way linked to supporting the game are at risk for being considered revenue from that game. Seems like a touchy legal issue that could go either way depending on the circumstances. You can contact the companies themselves and see if they will answer your questions. If you want to be extra sure, you can also contact a lawyer and get proper legal advice.

Unity?

It's great for everything. Scripting is done in javascript or C#. Suggest you do it in c#.

It's not JavaScript it's UnityScript. The two have a similar syntax but are very different languages.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I would expect that asking for donations that are in any way linked to supporting the game are at risk for being considered revenue from that game. Seems like a touchy legal issue that could go either way depending on the circumstances. You can contact the companies themselves and see if they will answer your questions. If you want to be extra sure, you can also contact a lawyer and get proper legal advice.

This is true. I Have someone I am able to call. It's defiantly one of those legal gray areas but I will learn the code first

This is true. I Have someone I am able to call. It's defiantly one of those legal gray areas but I will learn the code first

Definitely. Play around with your options and have fun learning :) 

Definitely. Play around with your options and have fun learning :)

Does anyone have other good places to learn? I have looked at code academy but was unsure if anyone has other places.

Does anyone have other good places to learn? I have looked at code academy but was unsure if anyone has other places.

It really comes down to what engine/language you end up choosing. To cover multiple bases:

• We have a bunch of resources in our Ultimate Programming Resources Thread.
  • Then there's the documentation at Unity and Unreal which includes tutorials.
  • Lynda.com has some unity tutorials (didn't see any unreal ones there) as well as many tutorials on different programming languages and contains a 10 day free trail. Use code wanshow or techquickie to support Linus Media Group.
  • And there's always Google for many other options.

It really comes down to what engine/language you end up choosing. To cover multiple bases:

• We have a bunch of resources in our Ultimate Programming Resources Thread.
  • Then there's the documentation at Unity and Unreal which includes tutorials.
  • Lynda.com has some unity tutorials (didn't see any unreal ones there) as well as many tutorials on different programming languages and contains a 10 day free trail. Use code wanshow or techquickie to support Linus Media Group.
  • And there's always Google for many other options.

After some toying around in the programs I like unity better due to the UI. would you recommend i learn C# or java?

• C#

I would choose C# as it is widely used both inside and outside of the Unity world. Java isn't natively supported so I wouldn't pick that.

• C#

Thank you for your help.