Burning headphones/earbuds?

Goussy

Is there any truth to this technique of "burning" your cans to enhance audio quality?

EHHHHH????

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Some people swear by it, My earbuds/M50s dont seem to sound any diffrent after months of use everyday.

my M50s have well over 500 hours on them, and no noticeable difference. granted it may of been gradual, and I may have not of noticed

I think yes to some degree, but it's only noticeable on some cans I believe

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I strongly believe that all audio equipment should be burned. Preferably while the owners watch.

QmhOZlz.png

BURN CANS EVERY DAY

I have no idea, haven't heard if it before.

*facepalm*

It's been debated since ancient times, and seemed to have arrived to a stalemate point. Neither 'factions' can back their claim with legitimate proofs. I think Tyll of Innerfidelity got measurement proof (that there are no changes before and after burn in), but I might remember wrong. 

Since it's a stalemate, people backed off to their own corners. Those who believe the burn ins, are welcome to do it. Those who don't, well, they don't waste any time for burn ins. Burn ins won't destroy the headphone, that's for sure. 

I've experienced it I think, but it may have been me just getting used to it.  Most manufacturers of high end headphones do specify some number of hours that they need to be burned in, but it's usually like a few days of usage hours total.  Not like months or something crazy that some people claim.  As far as lighting them on fire, you can try that too and see if it accelerates the process.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

I strongly believe that all audio equipment should be burned. Preferably while the owners watch.

Only the people what worry about burn in should have their equipment burned.

EHHHHH????

The fuck?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The fuck?

Ayy californian! (do you live near San Jose?) 

Also i didn't know he meant 'burning in', lol I literally thought he meant heat up/burn headphones

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Ayy californian! (do you live near San Jose?) 

Also i didn't know he meant 'burning in', lol I literally thought he meant heat up/burn headphones

We live in the same city, broyo.

If you ever really get into audio, you're welcome to try out my HD800s to see if expensive headphones are for you.

I saw a video from Stephan Molyneux that the reason there is such a water problem is cuz' some people want to grow rice in the freakin' desert. Not sure how true that is, but I'm feeling thirsty right about now.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The only burn in I believe is personal one and that is if you come from bright headphone to warm(or any drastic change of sound) you need time to get used to the sound and the headphone to evaluate it.

It won't always happen but if you're regular to some sound you might need time for it to adjust and fit but that just might be me that when I move from warm headphones to bright ones in the beginning they are extra fatiguing and after a day or two it settled.

If there is a burn in with in the headphone it will most likely be done by the manufacture since they test the headphones before they ship them but I don't think that is noticeable or true either.

The only burn in I believe is personal one and that is if you come from bright headphone to warm(or any drastic change of sound) you need time to get used to the sound and the headphone to evaluate it.

It won't always happen but if you're regular to some sound you might need time for it to adjust and fit but that just might be me that when I move from warm headphones to bright ones in the beginning they are extra fatiguing and after a day or two it settled.

If there is a burn in with in the headphone it will most likely be done by the manufacture since they test the headphones before they ship them but I don't think that is noticeable or true either.

That's not exactly the definition of 'burn in'. You got the wrong idea altogether about 'burn in'

Burn in is to play a sound, usually white noise, because it's flat in all frequencies (more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise),continuously for more than 10 hours. Some burn in theorists like to go for 24+ hours nonstop. Set the media player to play white noise in a continuous loop, and leave the headphone playing that sound for the intended time. 

The pro (as in 'believer') faction said this will cut the time the headphone's membrane needs to 'loosen up'. If the headphone's used like normal, it will eventually loosen up too, but takes a lot longer. For example, the average usage of the headphone is 2 hours/day, meaning it would take 12 days to get 24 hours of flight time from the headphone. Burning it in means you'd get the (supposedly) same result the next day. 

The real burn in process should actually only be done as a part of the QC/testing process in the assembling/manufacturing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn-inSomewhere along the way, this process found its way to consumers' world, and consumers started doing burn ins on their own, with a fairly different idea of the purpose (the last paragraph on that wiki page). 

It depends on the headphones.

I've had to buy the same ear buds three times (radiopaq jazz) and I can definitely say they need a relatively quick (6 hours) burn in before they sound like they should.

It depends on the headphones.

I've had to buy the same ear buds three times (radiopaq jazz) and I can definitely say they need a relatively quick (6 hours) burn in before they sound like they should.

It's an exciting prospect, to be sure. Imagining the molecules aligning to reach new-found heights of fidelity and musical purity.

Well, as Creatip probably mentioned in one of his posts, as far as placebo goes, this is a relatively harmless one. The extra electricity to run a headphone for a few nights pale in comparison to the price of a $500 amp. Even if I believed in burn-in, I'd start using the new headphone right away - can't wait to crack it open and try it out.

That's not exactly the definition of 'burn in'. You got the wrong idea altogether about 'burn in'

Burn in is to play a sound, usually white noise, because it's flat in all frequencies (more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise),continuously for more than 10 hours. Some burn in theorists like to go for 24+ hours nonstop. Set the media player to play white noise in a continuous loop, and leave the headphone playing that sound for the intended time.

The pro (as in 'believer') faction said this will cut the time the headphone's membrane needs to 'loosen up'. If the headphone's used like normal, it will eventually loosen up too, but takes a lot longer. For example, the average usage of the headphone is 2 hours/day, meaning it would take 12 days to get 24 hours of flight time from the headphone. Burning it in means you'd get the (supposedly) same result the next day.

The real burn in process should actually only be done as a part of the QC/testing process in the assembling/manufacturing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn-inSomewhere along the way, this process found its way to consumers' world, and consumers started doing burn ins on their own, with a fairly different idea of the purpose (the last paragraph on that wiki page).

Well thanks for the explanation while I knew what is burn in and didn't refer to traditional burn in I didn't knew all the details so thanks.

Well thanks for the explanation while I knew what is burn in and didn't refer to traditional burn in I didn't knew all the details so thanks.

There is no 'traditional burn in', because saying that there is, implies there are 'modern/newer style burn in' methods. There aren't any.

What you were referring to in the last post is not burn in. It's just the process of getting used to something new and different. This is where it gets dangerous of being misleading to others.

Getting used to something new, specifically audio in this context, is very normal, and actually a necessity. It's actually very recommended to do that (getting used to something new). But if you say that it's a 'burn in process', albeit not 'traditional burn in', somewhere along the way people will take it that 'burn in is normal, a necessity, and very recommended, according to forums like LTT....' The pretext will be lost somewhere along the way. 

It's an exciting prospect, to be sure. Imagining the molecules aligning to reach new-found heights of fidelity and musical purity.

well I was wondering about this because I'm going to be buying some panasonic rp-tcm125's and if "burning them in" would enhance the listening expierence.

well I was wondering about this because I'm going to be buying some panasonic rp-tcm125's and if "burning them in" would enhance the listening expierence.

Nope.

Nope.

would have thought so