iPhone 6 Plus - IOS 8.X, Apps, Cases, Accessories, etc - HELP!

Just got one and

You guys at Linus' have always had some of the best advice around.

It's been 3 years since I've even looked at new phones, apps, etc. I had my 50+ apps all my Productivity apps set up to keep me, ya know, productive.

What are some of you absolutes for the phone?

Edit

Things to do

• Get a case / screen protector  (This feels way harder than it should be to buy a quality case).  Tech 21, or  Neo Hybrid EX Metal (note: reviews have said I will lose button sensitivity)
  • Check out what pushbullet can do for me
  • HDMI adapter
  • Add more later

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

IIRC, @Victorious Secret has one. He should be able to tell you a fair bit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Talked to some people, got it all worked out.    I lied

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

Pushbullet.

This is a must for any device on any OS. It's probably one of my most-used software. It practically adds OS X's Continuity between Android devices/iPhones/iPads and Windows PCs, minus the call forwarding, though I'd be surprised if they weren't working on that too.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Just got one and

You guys at Linus' have always had some of the best advice around.

It's been 3 years since I've even looked at new phones, apps, etc. I had my 50+ apps all my Productivity apps set up to keep me, ya know, productive.

What are some of you absolutes for the phone?

As far as cases go, I switch between the Apple midnight blue leather case and the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Metal, I like the Spigen one a bit more. 

I also use the Invisible Shield Glass protector, I like it the most, even though it isn't edge to edge. 

As far as apps go, that really comes down to how you're gonna use the device. I like using the Apple productivity apps simply because the syncing to my computer is easier in those apps, Flipboard is a neat way to look at news and Alien Blue for browsing reddit and what not. 

I keep Knights of the Old Republic on my phone at all times, its just a fun game to have and can always be played over and over. Air Video HD for streaming media from my computer and Deliveries for tracking your shipments if you ship/order a lot of stuff like I do.  

I got one... I used it for a good half an hour before giving up and throwing it back in the box.

Which doesn't help the OP or anyone here who wants advice on what the OP asked, so thanks for your meaningless contribution to this thread? 

Which doesn't help the OP or anyone here who wants advice on what the OP asked, so thanks for your meaningless contribution to this thread? 

Thanks for not just minding your business? 

Talked to some people, got it all worked out.

"Rawr XD"

Pushbullet.

This is a must for any device on any OS. It's probably one of my most-used software. It practically adds OS X's Continuity between Android devices/iPhones/iPads and Windows PCs, minus the call forwarding, though I'd be surprised if they weren't working on that too.

Seems very popular, I've never used it. Going to research, thanks! Though, I've only ever used iPhone's since the first one. Not sure how it can help me, but definitely looking into it.

As far as cases go, I switch between the Apple midnight blue leather case and the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Metal, I like the Spigen one a bit more. 

I also use the Invisible Shield Glass protector, I like it the most, even though it isn't edge to edge. 

As far as apps go, that really comes down to how you're gonna use the device. I like using the Apple productivity apps simply because the syncing to my computer is easier in those apps, Flipboard is a neat way to look at news and Alien Blue for browsing reddit and what not. 

I keep Knights of the Old Republic on my phone at all times, its just a fun game to have and can always be played over and over. Air Video HD for streaming media from my computer and Deliveries for tracking your shipments if you ship/order a lot of stuff like I do.

Going to Apple in a few hours to find a screen protector, is it noticeable not edge-to-edge? Need a sleek, light, case that can handle drops from lap to the ground when getting out of the car. Been doing this forever now, I won't change =/

Any suggestions for VPN? I need a new one and want one for my iPhone, workstations, business workstation, another iPhone 6 plus on my plan, iPhone5xx on my plan x2. Basically, need at leave 10 devices covered.

This iPhone I am going to be doing a lot of business, banking, selling, trading, etc on.. Will have BTC, Paypal, checking accounts, etc.. I have it set up to delete after x10 failed passwords and don't use simple password. I want everything as secure as possible.

After less than 24 hours I am really loving it I haven't upgraded the software from 8.1 and 8.3 came out today. Always nervous about new IOS software.

I am not a fan of "True 4G" LTE so far.. It seem's most buildings I go in, it's slower than my iPhone 4G.. notice my music apps stopping constantly, delay loading websites, not a fan at all. Also, my headphone jack seems extra sensitive, I feel this will be a problem when strength training or cardio. See what happens.

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

Seems very popular, I've never used it. Going to research, thanks! Though, I've only ever used iPhone's since the first one. Not sure how it can help me, but definitely looking into it.Going to Apple in a few hours to find a screen protector, is it noticeable not edge-to-edge? Need a sleek, light, case that can handle drops from lap to the ground when getting out of the car. Been doing this forever now, I won't change =/

I have an edge to edge phantom glass protector, and I don't like it when my phones out of a case, so I don't think I can recommend an edge to edge tempered glass protector.

As for a case I found a good case in a US Apple Store while traveling. Something I couldn't find in Canada, I wanted something light as well.

So I got a TECH21 case I forget the model and I don't have the box to look at I'll edit this with the exact name. Either way it's not an otter box but adds some good back protection and side protection. The sales propels at the Apple Store demo it for me dropping their own 6+ in the case.

Case is an EVO MESH.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HGN52ZM/A/tech21-evo-mesh-case-drop-protective-for-iphone-6-plus-clearwhite?fnode=e6bbf5c90e3024bf878d9e7b26da1d74648af0a8608cb76b399a80a65bea988b085c0e067eb27579022f04b6376ff37073e6cf74cab227096ac72790029636f50f4d4c62d5a272b6ed7427608da9922d3a76895635045d3fe276dcb87c956cf96dbc1a3c1612f9d9b00eb60b1d0cdc62&fs=f%3Diphone6plus%26fh%3D409a%252B43bb

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Seems very popular, I've never used it. Going to research, thanks! Though, I've only ever used iPhone's since the first one. Not sure how it can help me, but definitely looking into it.

I find it useful for sending notes/links between different devices (phone, tablet, etc.). I think it can even send small files but I've never made use of that feature.

Can also be used to send and reply to texts from your computer (don't know if this is capable on the iOS version).

Also it'll send notifications your phone gets to your desktop.

I think most of these features are a part of the Apple ecosystem so it may only be worth it if you're not using a Mac.

I have spent more time researching cases then I will ever admit. Otterbox looks like a complete failure when I read reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, Apple Store, etc (including lifeproof, which is sad cus I would shell out 100$ for lifeproof if it was like the 5's generation.

In the end, it looks like what I read from you HOURS ago (still haven't slept, want all this set up) is the best one. The only negative comments I can find is there are 2 small holes that let dirt, dust, etc in.. Well, if that means I have to clean it once a month so be it. I have an iPhone sanitizer, though I doubt it will fit x(

I'm done searching for reviews. Just gonna buy 3-5 cases and return them till I find one I like, starting with EVO mesh most likely. Not gonna touch lifeproof.. everywhere pics of it broken or breaking things.

It should never be this difficult to spend money on accessories for a popular product. Companies these days don't respect the shit they make.

I've never had a jailbroken phone before, since the things people showed me they did with it seemed unnecessary for me.. but the ability to use my iPhone as an external hard drive seems intriguing. Though, not risking voiding my warranty for at least 30-90 days. Still on IOS 8.1 and gonna wait my usual minimum of 3 weeks before going to the new 8.3.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, definitely will keep checking to see additional comments, as I should be able to return anything I buy for the most part.

EDIT

P.S.

If you'd like something on steam i.e Counter Strike Global Offensive or hats LMK.  Anyone that helped me, I appreciate your time and like giving back. Will check out Linus' gilding option as well, guessing similar to reddit.

Can't wait to get my HDMI cord and plug this bad boy into one of my monitors though.. Video Editing, image editing, all in HD on my phone.. truly excited. Gaming, don't really do that on my phone. Either browsing reddit or another newsite, on craigslist, e-bay, or another site selling / buying something, and killing team with other nonsense.. Though, Angry Birds will always be a true classic.

I find it useful for sending notes/links between different devices (phone, tablet, etc.). I think it can even send small files but I've never made use of that feature.

Can also be used to send and reply to texts from your computer (don't know if this is capable on the iOS version).

Also it'll send notifications your phone gets to your desktop.

I think most of these features are a part of the Apple ecosystem so it may only be worth it if you're not using a Mac.

I have an edge to edge phantom glass protector, and I don't like it when my phones out of a case, so I don't think I can recommend an edge to edge tempered glass protector.

As for a case I found a good case in a US Apple Store while traveling. Something I couldn't find in Canada, I wanted something light as well.

So I got a TECH21 case I forget the model and I don't have the box to look at I'll edit this with the exact name. Either way it's not an otter box but adds some good back protection and side protection. The sales propels at the Apple Store demo it for me dropping their own 6+ in the case.

Case is an EVO MESH.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HGN52ZM/A/tech21-evo-mesh-case-drop-protective-for-iphone-6-plus-clearwhite?fnode=e6bbf5c90e3024bf878d9e7b26da1d74648af0a8608cb76b399a80a65bea988b085c0e067eb27579022f04b6376ff37073e6cf74cab227096ac72790029636f50f4d4c62d5a272b6ed7427608da9922d3a76895635045d3fe276dcb87c956cf96dbc1a3c1612f9d9b00eb60b1d0cdc62&fs=f%3Diphone6plus%26fh%3D409a%2B43bb

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

I have spent more time researching cases then I will ever admit. Otterbox looks like a complete failure when I read reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, Apple Store, etc (including lifeproof, which is sad cus I would shell out 100$ for lifeproof if it was like the 5's generation.

DON'T get an Otterbox/Lifeproof. I had a Defender on my iPhone 4 (it turned out to be fake) until it broke a year later. I got a new one directly from Otterbox, and it felt cheaper than the fake! My phone rattled in the case (it actually scratched the glass below the screen, by the home button), the two pieces didn't snap together securely and it literally fell apart when I dropped it.

I've never had a jailbroken phone before, since the things people showed me they did with it seemed unnecessary for me.. but the ability to use my iPhone as an external hard drive seems intriguing. Though, not risking voiding my warranty for at least 30-90 days. Still on IOS 8.1 and gonna wait my usual minimum of 3 weeks before going to the new 8.3.

8.3 is great. I have it on my iPad 3. On 8.2, my iPad would crash ALL the time, apps would take forever to load, multitasking gestures were laggy, it noticably lagged from the time I pressed the wake/lock button until it showed the lock screen, the nose emoji wasn't politically correct and the entire thing felt sluggish. Then I downloaded 8.3 and haven't had a single crash, apps load faster (though it is old, so I'm confident it's the hardware), multitasking gestures are surprisingly fast and it's no longer sluggish, just a bit slow. 

On another note, my home button seemed to be failing ever since downloading 8, but 8.3 seemed to fix it. I never thought it was software related, though I did think it was odd that it was failing because I use it as little as possible so I can sell it for more.

Can't wait to get my HDMI cord and plug this bad boy into one of my monitors though.. Video Editing, image editing, all in HD on my phone.. truly excited. Gaming, don't really do that on my phone. Either browsing reddit or another newsite, on craigslist, e-bay, or another site selling / buying something, and killing team with other nonsense.. Though, Angry Birds will always be a true classic. 

iPhones can output video via HDMI?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

DON'T get an Otterbox/Lifeproof. I had a Defender on my iPhone 4 (it turned out to be fake) until it broke a year later. I got a new one directly from Otterbox, and it felt cheaper than the fake! My phone rattled in the case (it actually scratched the glass below the screen, by the home button), the two pieces didn't snap together securely and it literally fell apart when I dropped it.

Maybe just bad luck. I had an Otterbox for my Note2 a while back (got fed up of how thick it is eventually) and it was perfect for the job. Built like a tank

I'm glad I could help someone!  Everyone I talk to seems to not know about this, even though it's been around for 2+ years!

8.3 is great. I have it on my iPad 3. On 8.2, my iPad would crash ALL the time, apps would take forever to load, multitasking gestures were laggy, it noticably lagged from the time I pressed the wake/lock button until it showed the lock screen, the nose emoji wasn't politically correct and the entire thing felt sluggish. Then I downloaded 8.3 and haven't had a single crash, apps load faster (though it is old, so I'm confident it's the hardware), multitasking gestures are surprisingly fast and it's no longer sluggish, just a bit slow. 

On another note, my home button seemed to be failing ever since downloading 8, but 8.3 seemed to fix it. I never thought it was software related, though I did think it was odd that it was failing because I use it as little as possible so I can sell it for more.

iPhones can output video via HDMI?

Do you mind telling me your wireless provider? It could be AT&T related not sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/31xnw3/major_ios_83_bug/

Appreciate the feedback on Otter. Sad they sold out like this

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

I'm glad I could help someone!  Everyone I talk to seems to not know about this, even though it's been around for 2+ years!

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing.

Do you mind telling me your wireless provider? It could be AT&T related not sure. 

That was all on my Wi-Fi only 16GB iPad 3. I have a 64GB OnePlus One (I <3 Android, looking at a Shield Tablet) on AT&T as my phone.

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing.

That was all on my Wi-Fi only 16GB iPad 3. I have a 64GB OnePlus One (I <3 Android, looking at a Shield Tablet) on AT&T as my phone.

Leave my thread!  Sarcasm

There was a time when I would've said I was an Apple fanboi, wouldn't even look at another phone because they were all "crap".  

These days, though, Android has had plenty of time to catch up and compete.. I know better.. tough, way too much of what I use is Apple, for the last 10 years (damn, long time), and there is no way I am going to take the time to learn Android, for what?  No one can give me any reason to except I can "customize" and "tweak" it.  Not interested.  I have my workstation for that.  If I wanted to customize anything it would be on  x11 Linux (been a minute since I booted up a workstation or server running that bad boy), HTML, or C++... and the last two I languages I've never studied for more than a week or two.

To each their own, if I was in highschool instead of a uni, well, still wouldn't have gave a ****.  TBH, it sounds like something I should get my girlfriends in the future to get space and time for myself  :ph34r:    Yeah, no sleep, I am rambling, going to Apple in a few hours and buying 2-3 of EVERYTHING, return what I don't want.  

Get that HDMI cord, or if you have a "smart t.v." you can stream it, though I have no idea how optimal it is for whatever you're streaming.  I imagine for photo and video editing + showing off it would be fine?  I don't have one, yet

Edit: 

The one compelling argument people gave for Android prior, was swiftkey and other customizable keyboards, which Apple now has... I am happy... something new to learn but hopefully it will make life easier, though I just need to get in the habit of telling Siri everything.

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami