i7 4770 (non k) overheating issues

Hey guys,

so my 4770 non k is overheating. Im using core temp to check temps. Im getting 30C idle, 75C when gaming, and 98-100C on all cores when running prime95. my cooler is 

and my whole build can be seen here: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/japesthetank/saved/26fV3C

For troubleshooting, i have put new thermal past on, checked the cooler (making good contact) and cleaned the dust out. As well, I've changed the profile for fan control in the bios, and though now the fan ramps up, temps have not changed. When I put it in manual mode (20% low / 100% load) upon restart I recieved a "Cpu fan error" message as well.

My thoughts: the cooler is bunk. it was a cheap 35$ aftermarket, and it just isnt holding up 2 years later. OR, the cpu is giving up on life. but im not sure what else I can do.

Any help would be appreciated!

Japes

"No Gavin, it is Apple Maps bad..."

DONT USE PRIME 95

are you trying to kill it or something???

never use prime 95 on an intel CPU, specifically hasewell

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you receive a cpu fan error, it could either be the motherboard or the fan. Is the fan working properly? Does it run like it should? Try and pick up a cheap Hyper 212 Evo, or attach a new fan to the cooler... and see if it helps. If your CPU is also 2 years old, then it shouldn't be giving up on life yet.

Computer ----- CPU: FX-6300 | Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz/CL9 | GPU: MSI R9 270X OC | Case: Corsair 760T Black | Storage: 2TB WD RE4 | PSU: EVGA 750W Bronze | Display: Acer 21.5" 1080P | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | OS: Triple boot - Arch Linux, Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X Mavericks

Other Possesions:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon on FamilyMobile, root/flash KitPop ---- Other phone: HTC One M7 Sprint Bad ESN, forgot the rom but root/flash 5.0.0 ---- Tablet: Hisense Sero 7 Pro, forgot the rom but root/flash 4.4.4

DONT USE PRIME 95

Yeah, P95 runs the FPU into the floor while hitting all the cores. It's one of the very few programs that will run the floating point unit and the cores that hard at the same time.

DONT USE PRIME 95

You can use P95, it does depend on what test you do. If it was going to actually kill your CPU no one would use it

The idea of it is to test your CPU to the MAX

thanks for the quick replies!

re: prime95: yes i know it is a destroyer. however, a non-k cpu with an aftermarket cooler should be able to handle that. I can't agree that is would just bust my cpu. and of course, I only ran stress tests because I saw 80C while gaming.

re: fan/mobo seems seated well, checked well when i put new paste on. controller seems to be working and when not in manual mode (in "turbo") it is ramping up as expected. even if this cooler isnt performing well, it should handle  a non K with ease. some people even overclock (no well mind you) with this cooler. so it is still surprising.

re: 75C seems high: hell yes. Im in tropical japan and with the summer well on its way, I need to get a handle on this before ambiant temps are in the high 30s.

You can use P95, it does depend on what test you do. If it was going to actually kill your CPU no one would use it

While true, I think he found said max.

re: prime95: yes i know it is a destroyer. however, a non-k cpu with an aftermarket cooler should be able to handle that. I can't agree that is would just bust my cpu. and of course, I only ran stress tests because I saw 80C while gaming.

re: fan/mobo seems seated well, checked well when i put new paste on. controller seems to be working and when not in manual mode (in "turbo") it is ramping up as expected. even if this cooler isnt performing well, it should handle  a non K with ease. some people even overclock (no well mind you) with this cooler. so it is still surprising.

re: 75C seems high: hell yes. Im in tropical japan and with the summer well on its way, I need to get a handle on this before ambiant temps are in the high 30s.

theirs a multiquote button in the bottom right corner of each post for replying to people maybe get a better cooler? i know your not overclocking but still couldnt hurt.

askdjfasdf

theirs a multiquote button in the bottom right corner of each post for replying to people maybe get a better cooler? i know your not overclocking but still couldnt hurt.

ah, well i guess I just earned my "newbie" badge! lol. thanks.

My plan was to grab a 4790k and liquid cool it this summer. maybe ill get that cooler now and see how it goes. still bugs me that I cant identify the issue though.

Hey guys,

so my 4770 non k is overheating. Im using core temp to check temps. Im getting 30C idle, 75C when gaming, and 98-100C on all cores when running prime95. my cooler is 

and my whole build can be seen here: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/japesthetank/saved/26fV3C

For troubleshooting, i have put new thermal past on, checked the cooler (making good contact) and cleaned the dust out. As well, I've changed the profile for fan control in the bios, and though now the fan ramps up, temps have not changed. When I put it in manual mode (20% low / 100% load) upon restart I recieved a "Cpu fan error" message as well.

My thoughts: the cooler is bunk. it was a cheap 35$ aftermarket, and it just isnt holding up 2 years later. OR, the cpu is giving up on life. but im not sure what else I can do.

Any help would be appreciated!

Japes

Don't use Prime95. (already been said)

But... Your temps do seem too high while gaming.

I don't see anything about your overclock, is it overclocked? what's the voltage at? whats the clockspeed at?

Edit: I think I missed where it said you dont have it overclocked.

Sounds like the cooler or seating is the problem.

No one with Haswell should use it. End of story, only reason it doesn't kill it, is because there is a safety built into Haswell to shut down when it's about to kill it, or else you would see a lot more noobs complaining they fried their CPU.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

yes prime95 will kill your CPU it will force it to overvolt causing undoable damage 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Sounds like the cooler or seating is the problem.

Checked seating and paste. no overclocking since its a non k. cooler seems to be in good condition and mobo is increasing speed while under load. so still seems sketchy...

ah, well i guess I just earned my "newbie" badge! lol. thanks.

My plan was to grab a 4790k and liquid cool it this summer. maybe ill get that cooler now and see how it goes. still bugs me that I cant identify the issue though.

i dont always recomend liquid coolers honestly dont get me wrong some are very very reliable but an air cooler can do just about the same thing and be much more quiet and much more reliable. anything from noctua would be a good choice :). and we were all once newbies on here only way you can learn things on here is by posting and reading other peoples suggestions theres no such thing as a dumb question on here i feel and if anyone does well they can screw off.

askdjfasdf

no

prime 95 specifically uses the CPU in a way thats made to heat it up, not stress test it

this is artificially surpassing the set thermal limits which is extremely unsafe and can damage your CPU

linus talked about this on a livestream a while ago

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no

prime 95 specifically uses the CPU in a way thats made to heat it up, not stress test it

this is artificially surpassing the set thermal limits which is extremely unsafe and can damage your CPU

linus talked about this on a livestream a while ago

Yes, exactly.

However it finds the thermal limit not surpassing it. There is no way for the CPU to reach temps that P95 will obtain, becasue like you said it's an artificial test. So therefore it shows you the absolute max temp that your CPU can produce, but again depending on the test you run.

Yes, exactly.

However it finds the thermal limit not surpassing it. There is no way for the CPU to reach temps that P95 will obtain, becasue like you said it's an artificial test. So therefore it shows you the absolute max temp that your CPU can produce, but again depending on the test you run.

Take your inexperience and non-hands on opinion elsewhere.

You are arguing with people that actually have the Hyperthreading chip, and have experienced the problem head on.

If I opened Prime95 right now and ran the benchmark i would hit 95+ degrees C.

When I do a Stress test made for my CPU... Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility... I don't even touch 70degrees C.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Back to the OP, I think it's your cooler.

Get a new one, your idle temps seem right, so I dont think its the CPU. Unless you are getting Overvoltage in gaming as well.

Keep an eye on your voltage while playing whatever game is causing the high temps, is it over v1.3?

if yes, then it is way too high..

If it is under v1.3 and still getting hot, I would say you just need a better cooler.

Take your inexperience and non-hands on opinion elsewhere.

You are arguing with people that actually have the Hyperthreading chip, and have experienced the problem head on.

If I opened Prime95 right now and ran the benchmark i would hit 95+ degrees C.

When I do a Stress test made for my CPU... Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility... I don't even touch 70degrees C.

Woah calm down mr im so experienced.

When I was overclocking my CPU I was hitting about 85 with P95.

HT has almost nothing to do with it mate.

How do you come to the conclusion that you know everything about my life?

Just because I have a 4690K at the moment dosent mean ive never used other computers, other CPUs or whatever else.

Yes, exactly.

Its not a stress test. Its a "self destruct" heat creating test that should not be used

You can use any other stress test and benchmark and the CPU temperatures will NEVER get anywhere close to prime 95

prime 95 is completely unrealistic and show not be used because its pushing the CPU not by making it work at 100%, but by specifically making it create impossible amounts of heat that it should never reach

Spoiler

Its not a stress test. Its a "self destruct" heat creating test that should not be used

You can use any other stress test and benchmark and the CPU temperatures will NEVER get anywhere close to prime 95

prime 95 is completely unrealistic and show not be used because its pushing the CPU not by making it work at 100%, but by specifically making it create impossible amounts of heat that it should never reach

Yes... I dont get why we're arguing.

This is the point of it, to make it produce the absolute max amount of heat.

Obviously you don't want it to go over 100 degrees since it would be close to shutting off anyway but for people who want to see how high it'll go this is the test they run.

Also remember that P95 has more than 1 type of test

lol, well that was interesting. In anycase, I'm gonna agree that it is the cooler due to decent idle temps.  as such, ill grab a h110 and it will be great for when I get that 4790k in a few months.

Thanks for all the help, and rage. it made me smile ;)