Microsoft Adding Windows 10 Downloader to Your Windows 7 and 8.1 PC in New Update

Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event.png

MS really wants people to get on the Windows 10 bandwagon (for a lot of valid reasons) and they are making it easier by including a Windows 10 downloader as a part of Windows Update. 

Now, before people start going on about how MS is adding bloatware, this is a RECOMMENDED UPDATE. You have to opt in to get this, but its still very nice to see that MS is including it for those who want to get on Windows 10 in a more seamless manner. 

Windows 10 will officially be rolled out this summer and Microsoft is doing the best it can do to ensure that each and every Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 user upgrades to Windows 10. With the official announcement of Windows 10, Microsoft said that all Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users will be getting the benefit of the free upgrade. Now Microsoft has released an update that will notify you to download Windows 10 when it’ll be available for download.

This update installs a “Windows 10 downloader” in your Windows machine. In Microsoft’s words: “enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user.” This update KB3035583 will notify you when Windows 10 could be downloaded and a file named GWXUXWorker.EXE will download it for you.

After the update, a new folder named “GWX” is added to System 32. GWX contains a folder named “Download” and 9 other files. Out of the 4 executable files, there’s one named GWXUXWorker.EXE whose description reads “Download Windows 10.” So here you got your Windows 10 downloader in your system waiting for the Windows 10. I guess GWX stands for “Get Windows 10” where “X” could be 10 in Roman number system.

http://fossbytes.com/microsoft-adding-windows-10-downloader-to-your-windows-7-and-8-1-pc-in-new-update/#.VSPiMfgMWGU.facebook

repost ;)

still sweet that thier doing it

It's a repost that was done right, rules state that a post needs to offer relevant information and user input, and that one had a link and 5 words and a number.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I don't acknowledge half assed attempts as "posts" on this section 

It's a repost that was done right, rules state that a post needs to offer relevant information and user input, and that one had a link and 5 words and a number.

i had udpated my post before u posted xD. i said yours was much better

Did they already push it?

cause im not seeing that build number in my install history 

i had udpated my post before u posted xD. i said yours was much better

I didn't see that aha, ninja edits :D 

The colours thing also pisses me off. Sometimes the copy pasted text refuses to go "auto" and short of manually retyping everything, I don't know what more to try to stop it. 

I didn't see that aha, ninja edits :D 

The colours thing also pisses me off. Sometimes the copy pasted text refuses to go "auto" and short of manually retyping everything, I don't know what more to try to stop it. 

what browser? 

usally when i paste things here i use paste as plain text option cntrl-shit-v (Chrome)

what browser? 

usally when i paste things here i use paste as plain text option cntrl-shit-v (Chrome)

D'oh. Such a simple solution.

Checked my update history, see that update. Installation status: failed succeed.

WOOT!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

i hope the update is better than from 7 -> 8

i hope the update is better than from 7 -> 8

I think it will be good, if it's the same when updating builds then I'm sure it will be a great experience. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

They are working really hard to promote W10, the crap upcoming windows.Cool,they should spend more time developing w10 rather than inventing useless installers.

They are working really hard to promote W10, the crap upcoming windows.Cool,they should spend more time developing w10 rather than inventing useless installers.

Lot of salt for an OS that isnt even out.

And installers can make or break a product. Most people hate updating because its so much work and there is a risk of loss of functionality or of prior data. So having a good easy to use installer that can take you from w7 to w10 is kind of paramount. They want everyone on the new version as fast as possible, and this is one way to help speed it up.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Oh god, I don't want this garbage os with its new garbage theme. I want windows 8.1 style start screen that works exactly the same. The last time I uses 10, I was able to bring it back but it was less functional which made me reinstall 8.1 within minutes.

Oh god, I don't want this garbage os with its new garbage theme. I want windows 8.1 style start screen that works exactly the same. The last time I uses 10, I was able to bring it back but it was less functional which made me reinstall 8.1 within minutes.

What you want the start screen ?? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What exactly is awesome about it?

DX12, free to upgrade within the first year of launch if you have 7,8,8.1, Start menu is good,.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It serves both as a hideable desktop that you can organize your icons on and as the regular start menu that you can search from. The 10 start menu can be maximized but it ruins the layout that I want. And bringing back the original start screen caused it to be unresponsive to the windows logo key.

Nice way Microsoft allows users to upgrade. However, while I do plan to upgrade I will likely not do so on Day 1

Dude the start screen is awesome.... It's not the start screen that made Windows 8 bad. Only idiots bashed it for the start screen, there are actual stupid ways to navigate through out the settings. Microsoft didn't do a very good job incorporating the modern UI into the Oh, it's mostly fixed with 8.1, but some improvements could still be made.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Dude the start screen is awesome.... It's not the start screen that made Windows 8 bad. Only idiots bashed it for the start screen, there are actual stupid ways to navigate through out the settings. Microsoft didn't do a very good job incorporating the modern UI into the Oh, it's mostly fixed with 8.1, but some improvements could still be made.

I'm not hating on it but I barley used it and rarely use the start menu in win 10.

Also UI apps are much slower than desktop apps, less functionality, freaking crashed frequently. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I'm not hating on it but I barley used it and rarely use the start menu in win 10.

Also UI apps are much slower than desktop apps, less functionality, freaking crashed frequently.

Which is why I said they did a terrible job of incorporating the secondary UI. I personally don't use the start screen much. I just pin "this pc" and that's pretty much all I use it for.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Which is why I said they did a terrible job of incorporating the secondary UI. I personally don't use the start screen much. I just pin "this pc" and that's pretty much all I use it for.

I was seconding.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ