$300 10GbE switch w/ 24x GbE

Browsing the FreeNAS forum I found a reference to this:

http://routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusRM

And here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS226-24G-2S-RM-Ethernet-manageable/dp/B00MDXAVWE

Here's a less expensive version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LYFJAYW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00MDXAVWE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZYTK9K92GF676FE5JM1

It also has two 10GbE ports, the difference seems to be a lower level of RouterOS license. The features for license versions can be found here.

This could be a really inexpensive way to get a 10GbE backbone into your network, with cables like these connecting a machine to the switch.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

woooah R U running a company?

I didn't know what to put here...

woooah R U running a company?

No? I'm just looking at picking up one of these. I was hoping someone here had experience with them and could comment on their quality, or lack thereof.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

No? I'm just looking at picking up one of these. I was hoping someone here had experience with them and could comment on their quality, or lack thereof.

Oh i have a switch but it costed 10 bucks and i do not know shait about them so i am useless so to say

I didn't know what to put here...

Awesome. I want to bring my network up to 10gb so bad.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Eh, it's mikrotik. The feedback about that company is consistently the most inconsistent thing I've ever seen. 

I would shy away unless it's for a home network, in which case I would ask why you needed 10G uplinks on your switches. 

Eh, it's mikrotik. The feedback about that company is consistently the most inconsistent thing I've ever seen. 

I would shy away unless it's for a home network, in which case I would ask why you needed 10G uplinks on your switches. 

Of course it's not needed. It's for fun. Given that a similar 24 port Netgear switch is also around $200, paying $35 extra for 10G links doesn't sound too bad. Especially since you can hook up a storage server to those uplinks and have an awesome network connection to your storage.

Of course it's not needed. It's for fun. Given that a similar 24 port Netgear switch is also around $200, paying $35 extra for 10G links doesn't sound too bad. Especially since you can hook up a storage server to those uplinks and have an awesome network connection to your storage.

In my opinion it's a great choice if you are willing to spend $300 USD on a switch for home use. However you are forgetting one thing, does the home server have a SFP+ adapter inside?

Those things cost well over $400 USD...

I think you are wrong with the assumption of Mikrotik's quality. While it's not Cisco and HP or whatever for the money, I think it's pretty good and best for small/medium business. It can be configured in a trillion ways and most of the devices pack nice hardware compared to other brands with equal or higher price tags.

In my opinion it's a great choice if you are willing to spend $300 USD on a switch for home use. However you are forgetting one thing, does the home server have a SFP+ adapter inside?

Those things cost well over $400 USD...

I think you are wrong with the assumption of Mikrotik's quality. While it's not Cisco and HP or whatever for the money, I think it's pretty good and best for small/medium business. It can be configured in a trillion ways and most of the devices pack nice hardware compared to other brands with equal or higher price tags.

I do! It's an Intel X520-DA2 that I picked up. It was a total steal, and I'd always wanted a 10G backbone, especially one that's low-latency.

been looking for a switch the last few day seen this and is the best offer ive seen so far it ticks the boxes

>its quiet 

>small and lite

>dosent cost $900

just wanting to know is all sfp+ compatible and are there sfp+ 15m copper cables

and have you used mellonox connetx 2 adapters and nothing bad happend

been looking for a switch the last few day seen this and is the best offer ive seen so far it ticks the boxes

>its quiet 

>small and lite

>dosent cost $900

just wanting to know is all sfp+ compatible and are there sfp+ 15m copper cables

and have you used mellonox connetx 2 adapters and nothing bad happend

You'll have to get fiber cables and transceivers if you want to go more than a few meters.

Only two ports are SFP+ compatible, the rest are RJ45.

ive aquired the switch and two adapters

http://prntscr.com/6r4iau

cables under 5m are easy to come by its the run from cabnet to my desktop is 15 meters copper cable ive seen so far $300-$400 and i dont know alot about using fiber moduals