The next Apple TV won't play 4K video

Tonylu1595

See? Now you'd be missing out on all that goodness with the Apple TV. :P

Personally I wouldn't buy an Apple TV ANYWAY, so I'm not the target demographic :P HTPC generally, or if I had to, a Roku stream box (Also totally eyeing the upcoming Valve Steam Streaming box).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I must admit, I don't know why 4K60p would matter for a device like Apple TV, in which most content is filmed at 24p or 30p.

4K60p would be nice, no denying. But for a media consumption device, hardly necessary. 4K30p over HDMI 1 even is totally fine for non-gaming.

At least until HFR Blu-Ray home media-like content becomes a thing :)

Im weird. I like 60FPS gaming, I despise HFR like the Hobbit. It looks bizarre on movies, it just does. It doesn't bother me, it just looks goddamn weird. 

Im weird. I like 60FPS gaming, I despise HFR like the Hobbit. It looks bizarre on movies, it just does. It doesn't bother me, it just looks goddamn weird. 

It does look weird, but I think that's mostly simply a byproduct of:

1. We're so used to 24p filming. We've all grown up on it, and literally expect that look anytime we see a movie.

2. I also assume it's a lack of knowledge on how to properly film and produce a HFR movie. This is all very new to film makers. It will take time for them to figure out all the right tricks and processes to make it look more natural.

Personally, yeah, it looked weird for the first 20 minutes. Then I totally forgot about it and it just looked better for me.

I also noticed that The Hobbit 2 and 3 were progressively better looking, in this regard, compared to The Hobbit 1. The first one was the most "soap opera-like" of them all. In the third one, I hardly noticed it at all, even at the beginning.

I think, over time, the filmmakers will learn how to better shoot and utilize HFR, and we'll reach a point where it's simply the better way to shoot.

24p isn't some special magical "cinematic" frame rate either. They simply chose it do to a variety of factors, including cost of film stock, and at what point is the slowest they can shoot while still tricking the brain into seeing "smooth" motion.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I doubt that's the reason if I read what you wrote correctly.

That's like saying the reason the iPhone 6 only has 1GB of ram is because Apple is incapable of adding any more at this point. They definitely could make the iPhone 6 have 2GB, but like with the Apple TV, there's no need too.

With the iPad Air 2 multitasking I disagree hardly, when switching apps it's faster and I don't get greeted with a white screen that takes couple of seconds to go away, just my experience for using about 10 minutes.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yeah, the Air is smooth. I've used the iPhone 6 for a few days and I haven't received any hiccups thus far.

Can you open like 5 apps and 4 tabs in a browser and switch between them and tell me is there a white screen which takes a time to disappear when switching ?? just want to get your experience. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I doubt that's the reason if I read what you wrote correctly.

That's like saying the reason the iPhone 6 only has 1GB of ram is because Apple is incapable of adding any more at this point. They definitely could make the iPhone 6 have 2GB, but like with the Apple TV, there's no need too.

I'll explain: Apple would need to provide 4k content in their store and such. Otherwise the feature is useless to them since they like to keep you on their ecosystem.

They can afford to produce more powerful hardware, but added bandwidth limitations on their services however, quite a bit more costly

-------

Current Rig

-------

I just tried that and I didn't get any stutters. Maybe a mild delay but nothing noticeable.

Ahhhhhh OK. I see what you mean. But the Apple TV uses Netflix, YouTube & Amazon Video which all are 4K capable.

Yes but maybe they'd like to compete eventually or more aggressively. Apple certainly could and would make such Considerations

-------

Current Rig

-------

I just tried that and I didn't get any stutters. Maybe a mild delay but nothing noticeable.

Ahhhhhh OK. I see what you mean. But the Apple TV uses Netflix, YouTube & Amazon Video which all are 4K capable.

But then what about iTunes ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Will they wait another 3 years then before releasing one with 4K?
Way to go, holding it back..

If it came with 4K support now, that could be a very good push towards 4K, as many would have bought it just to upgrade from their old Apple TVs, some for their first just because it is the newest and they want one, and some just because of the 4K support. 

So sad..

Oh well, maybe they release a 4K one next year, that will make buyers of this new one happy

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

My hatred of apple, which burns at a temperature above the Planck Temperature, aside,

Why are we being told what their next product won't have, rather than what it will?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I must admit, I don't know why 4K60p would matter for a device like Apple TV, in which most content is filmed at 24p or 30p.

4K60p would be nice, no denying. But for a media consumption device, hardly necessary. 4K30p over HDMI 1 even is totally fine for non-gaming.

At least until HFR Blu-Ray home media-like content becomes a thing :)

Most sports are broadcast in 60p. So it would matter quite a bit for that.

Most sports are broadcast in 60p. So it would matter quite a bit for that.

True enough. I'm not particularly interested in watching Sports, so I never think about it, but I suppose Sports streams would be available on something like an Apple TV via TSN or ESPN?

Would those apps even stream in 60p? Good if they did, but you know how idiotic some of these companies are.

My hatred of apple, which burns at a temperature above the Planck Temperature, aside,

Why are we being told what their next product won't have, rather than what it will?

Because people LOVE discussing negativity

Look at advertising campaigns that focus on why the competitor is bad, instead of why their products are good? it seems a negative aspect creates more discussion than positive ones

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Look at advertising campaigns that focus on why the competitor is bad, instead of why their products are good? it seems a negative aspect creates more discussion than positive ones

It always does. Remember the 970 thread? xD #FunTimes

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

oh no, dragging it up :P haha

But yeah negatives really resonate with customers for some reason

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

oh no, dragging it up :P haha

But yeah negatives really resonate with customers for some reason

Because people rather feel like others are failing. Because lets be honest, most trolls on the internet are lowlifes, and companies like apple are a reflection of what they will never be. Makes them feel better. Psychology 101

Speaking of making people feel better, please get your last pic back, it was more pretty :3

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

All I could see was people defending Nvidia and saying you shouldn't be butthurt or mad they lied,  people getting mad and saying why they were, and the most important one people saying "Fuck off".

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

All I could see was people defending Nvidia and saying you shouldn't be butthurt or mad they lied,  people getting mad and saying why they were, and the most important one people saying "Fuck off".

Thats not the point. the point is that it was something negative about them, so everyone and their dog commented on it.

Because people rather feel like others are failing. Because lets be honest, most trolls on the internet are lowlifes, and companies like apple are a reflection of what they will never be. Makes them feel better. Psychology 101

Speaking of making people feel better, please get your last pic back, it was more pretty :3

But he's skinnier in this new pic.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Thats not the point. the point is that it was something negative about them, so everyone and their dog commented on it.

I agree, I didn't see a lot people commenting on Asynchronous Shaders.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Hadn't considered that.

Don't start that again lol

I'm still trying to figure out some kind of capture software for my review of how a single 970 does on 5720x1080.

Hadn't considered that.

Yeah look into it, you will be surprised how prominent it is in both discussions and in proper advertising, sometimes its very subtle but still there, I mean, look at like dishwasher tablets/powder "compared to nearest leading brand" etc - its not saying "we clean your dishes" its saying " look how shit the other products are" 

Its easier to create hate around another product than it is to win people over with features and benefits, 

Yeah look into it, you will be surprised how prominent it is in both discussions and in proper advertising, sometimes its very subtle but still there, I mean, look at like dishwasher tablets/powder "compared to nearest leading brand" etc - its not saying "we clean your dishes" its saying " look how shit the other products are" 

Its easier to create hate around another product than it is to win people over with features and benefits, 

Now that I think about it, almost every commercial I have seen has used the "better than the competitor" argument, rather than "just good product".

Sad.

Now that I think about it, almost every commercial I have seen has used the "better than the competitor" argument, rather than "just good product".

Sad.

Exactly right!

And Tech products are definitely no stranger to this practice, its like the next Apple TV could give you free netlix and hulu, make coffee and give free blow jobs, but because its Apple (who everyone loves to hate) and not 4k (which nobody really cares about at the mometn) everyone will discuss it without knowing any other details about it

I mean look at all of Samsung and even more so Microsofts adverts, holy SHIT are they about bashing the competitor, Apple used to do it too with the whole Mac vs PC thing - but at least they were funny and a bit sarcastic - basically a meme/parody of themselves - their new adverts are amazing though IMO

I remember there was an advert for the Nokia tablet - the whole advert shows a guy using an iPad and hating it, almost no mention of the Nokia tablet and its features

I think its this one - 

It baffles me sometimes

Would it really have cost them that much to implement hdmi 2.0 or even just dp 1.2?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*