Dead ram slot in a laptop, causes and fixes?

My scrap build laptop has a bit of an issue. One of its ram slots is not recognizing ram and failing post. The other slot works just fine. Ram that fails to post in the second slot works in the first slot. I would like to use another 2GB card that i have laying around in the second slot  The machine is not worth buying a 4GB ram card. Other things in the machine are irreparably broken (the battery is old, and the chassis case broken at the hinge.). This is more of a curiosity post. The machine still works i am typing this on it after all. If you guys come up with some good ideas I might take another look at it. Its worth fiddling with in spare time. Its just not worth buying a new Mobo.  

My scrap build laptop has a bit of an issue. One of its ram slots is not recognizing ram and failing post. The other slot works just fine. Ram that fails to post in the second slot works in the first slot. I would like to use another 2GB card that i have laying around in the second slot  The machine is not worth buying a 4GB ram card. Other things in the machine are irreparably broken (the battery is old, and the chassis case broken at the hinge.). This is more of a curiosity post. The machine still works i am typing this on it after all. If you guys come up with some good ideas I might take another look at it. Its worth fiddling with in spare time. Its just not worth buying a new Mobo.  

Get a desktop they last longer and are easier to problem solve

Treat people how you want to be treated.

:)

-SNIP-

I wouldn't waste too much time on it but if you want to give it a try you can check to see if all the contacts or clean and in place properly, maybe clean it it they aren't with some isopopyl alcohol but there isn't that much that can be done. 

Get a desktop they last longer and are easier to problem solve

Wat?

un-fixable problem

Either buy a 4GB card or a new mobo or leave it be. Sorry.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

yes desktops last longer but desktops arent very portable. and while this machine is not as portable as it once was it can be used on the go. and it was free. all that i have invested in it is a hard drive, a proc, and a wifi card all from busted a vaio that was free.  the return on investment is great at the moment.

any one else have any good ideas as to why this happens. i know the whims of whatever gods linus prays to has something to do with it. but i was hoping for some thing more concrete.