The Tacomputer

MachoTaco24

The Tacomputer is a mid range gaming computer that I built for myself and is pretty much my first build. The build took about 4 hours, a night an evening, and had a few mess ups. First of all, the backplate for AIO cooler was installed in the wrong orientation. I didn't think it was a problem because all it was doing was going on top of the metal part behind the motherboard where the cpu is. Second, the USB 3.0 connecter was extremely hard to reach and make room for resulting in me accidentally bending one of the pins. I then used a flathead to get the pin back to its normal position. Finally, the SATA power connecter for the SSD was a bit bent when slotted into the case, but there were no problems with the drive. The build ended up to be a pretty good computer. It could run Battlefield 4 at Ultra settings at around 65fps. I plan on adding another GTX 960 and another RAM kit in future updates.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $214.95)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X31 69.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $67.99)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $119.99)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $62.98)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $99.99)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $54.98)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Purchased For $204.99)

Case: NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $119.99)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $79.98)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $105.45)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $34.99)

Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $15.98)

Total: $1182.26

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-04 20:28 EDT-0400

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/W6hTMyO

http://imgur.com/O7azADc

http://imgur.com/l4jCXIC

http://imgur.com/GihB6ZL

960 SLI is not a good idea until we can confirm DX12 combines VRAM in SLI.

Also way overspent on PSU

I spent $100 on my CX-600 :'c

Not even modular? maaaan

System: Thinkpad T460

wow that psu is garbage in the first place

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Not even modular? maaaan

Taxes are fucked in Canada.

Not to mention shipping was like $15

wow that psu is garbage in the first place

How is it garbage? 

System: Thinkpad T460

960 SLI is not a good idea until we can confirm DX12 combines VRAM in SLI.

Also way overspent on PSU

the performance gains will still be worth it.

and why do people knock getting big PSUs?

seriously, i say get the biggest (within reason) that you can so you can upgrade later.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

How is it garbage? 

its a great budget PSU.......

Anyone who would recommend cx PSUs for gaming dont know what they are talking about. The capacitors are the crappiest capacitors on the market and the ripple suppression is mediocre and the hold up time is garbage. 

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

and why do people knock getting big PSUs?

seriously, i say get the biggest (within reason) that you can so you can upgrade later.

It's not that it's too much power... it's that it's overpriced considering the quality of the internal components and the electrical performance.

Examples of much better PSU choices for the money then overpriced Corsair:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-tp750c

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-capstone550

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr

"Rawr XD"

Anyone who would recommend cx PSUs for gaming dont know what they are talking about. The capacitors are the crappiest capacitors on the market and the ripple suppression is mediocre and the hold up time is garbage. 

They're not the crappiest out there but there's definitely cheaper PSUs out there with better internal components. At least it's not a Diablotek

"Rawr XD"

They're not the crappiest out there but there's definitely cheaper PSUs out there with better internal components. At least it's not a Diablotek

I mean they are bad as they bear the Corsair brand name and I expect much better from such a reputable company.

They are not the worst but one would expect great things from them. A company like Diablotek you can expect garbage from, corsair on the otherhand is different

I mean they are bad as they bear the Corsair brand name and I expect much better from such a reputable company.

They are not the worst but one would expect great things from them. A company like Diablotek you can expect garbage from, corsair on the otherhand is different

Everything that Corsair sells is overpriced for what you get... maybe with the exception of some of their water coolers, but that's all I can think of.

I don't consider Corsair a company that I would expect great things from. They're only "reputable" because there's so many fanboys.

"Rawr XD"

For $80 no it's not. 

ik its not a good deal at $80 who said it was.....

EVERYONE STOP ARGUING. THE CX SERIES IS GOOD FOR BUDGET. END OF.

Nice build dude, would like some pics though :)

EVERYONE STOP ARGUING. THE CX SERIES IS GOOD FOR BUDGET. END OF.

Nice build dude, would like some pics though :)

No. . . Just no. . .

There are so many great budget psus out there and to choose the cx series out of them all is just either crazy or stupid

No. . . Just no. . .

There are so many great budget psus out there and to choose the cx series out of them all is just either crazy or stupid

just stop arguing. In the UK at least, they're good budget (45 quid). Just stop arguing. It's good enough. Better than something from Chin Chan Inc.

just stop arguing. In the UK at least, they're good budget (45 quid). Just stop arguing. It's good enough. Better than something from Chin Chan Inc.

There are seasonic and cooler master psus out there that are so much better than that garbage for the same price. If you have cracked a cx psu open you will see the crappiest capacitors in any psu with such a big brand name. The ripple suppression is garbage compared to all psus of the same price and so is the hold up time. It is in short, garbage and anyone who recommends it for a gaming rig doesn't know anything about psu

There are seasonic and cooler master psus out there that are so much better than that garbage for the same price. If you have cracked a cx psu open you will see the crappiest capacitors in any psu with such a big brand name. The ripple suppression is garbage compared to all psus of the same price and so is the hold up time. It is in short, garbage and anyone who recommends it for a gaming rig doesn't know anything about psu

...but it works?... I run mine with an overclocked CPU and GPU and have had no troubles. It remains quiet and my system runs well.

...but it works?... I run mine with an overclocked CPU and GPU and have had no troubles. It remains quiet and my system runs well.

Ill leave it at this: the cx 600 screwed up four of my friend's hard drives probably due to the poor ripple suppression. She had to replace her hard drive about once every few months before she replaced her psu to a seasonic and her hard drives stopped failing. I don't think that was a coincidence.

A quiet psu that turns on and emits power isn't everything

Why? plan to go SLI 960?
Why not save and go 970? 970 is real value 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400