Questions about the Shield Portable

Hello, LinusTechTipians, I've been contemplating getting a shield portable for gaming outside of the house. I have a mITX lan rig, but having something small that will easily fit into my bag (or even my pockets) would be great. I already have a laptop, although it's very basic and only meant for writing essays and and code (plus I don't want to spend another $1500 on top of the upgrades i made to my rig this year). 

So here's the point of all this, I was wondering if anyone here has had any issues with the Shield Portable? Is it laggy outside of the home (I'd be about 10-20 miles away from my rig)? Does it have decent build quality or will It end up breaking every couple of months, also is there just anything you'd recommend or do you have any thoughts on the shield portable?

I've considered getting the tablet, but decided against it, I don't really want to carry around 2 more  devices + their accessories.

~ Any, and all, input is welcomed & appreciated! ~

The Shield Portable is a great device, but in laggs a bit in the a few modern ports, like Half Life. Also, the streaming thing relies solidly on how good your internet access is and how good your router is.

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

the shield portable is supposed to have an update soon, that will update to the tegra X1 chip, instead of the K1, so I think it's worth waiting for it.

Quote me if you want to say something. Only way i'll see something.

the shield portable is supposed to have an update soon, that will update to the tegra X1 chip, instead of the K1, so I think it's worth waiting for it.

I would definitely wait like david says.  It has been a while and is definitely due for an update soon.  Mine still works great, and is actually really fast.  I don't use it for gamestream nearly as much as I do use it for emulators.  SNES, N64, GBA, DS is where it really shines.  Also the build quality is amazing, it is built like a tank.  It is really heavy which can fatigue your hands, but it feels really solid.  The only problems with build I have are the buttons kinda stick a little and the thumb movie stick thingie majjiggers are scratched, I need to get that sorted out with Nvidia.  Anyway the its a great device but you should wait for the update.