Matt or Glossy?

DotoreN

Due to the many, many positive reviews about the Dell XPS 13, I've decided to make this my new programming/coding laptop for on the go and college.

NOW, I have to decide whether i'm looking for matt or glossy... I can already tell that I like matt more as i've never used glossy screens ( apart from my Galaxy S3 phone ). 

XPS 13 comes with windows 8, and touchscreen will make it a bit easier to work with, but only comes in glossy screens.. or maybe I should go for a matt screen and downgrade to windows 7?

My question to you guys: Matt or Glossy for the xps 13?

Matte

Am I the only one around here who really doesn't like pcpartpicker?
I also like Ubisoft and Origin/EA          
Guess I'm just odd that way.

HATER OF MAIL IN REBATES!

Matte.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Matte

With windows 8 coming soon, do you recommend downgrading to 7 and then upgrading to 10? or just stay at 8 for the time being.

A good matte is nicer to use universally then a glossy screen but a good glossy screen is really nice most of the time

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

With windows 8 coming soon, do you recommend downgrading to 7 and then upgrading to 10? or just stay at 8 for the time being.

I assume you mean 10, lol. But you should be fine with 8. Unless downgrading is free and you really want to use 7. 10 is coming soonish.

Am I the only one around here who really doesn't like pcpartpicker?
I also like Ubisoft and Origin/EA          
Guess I'm just odd that way.

HATER OF MAIL IN REBATES!

Matte. There's nothing more frustrating when cleaning than trying to clean a glossy surface. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

A good matte is nicer to use universally then a glossy screen but a good glossy screen is really nice most of the time

I'm used to matt so I think i'll stick to using it. I don't doubt the fact that glossy QHD or whatever is really nice, but reflections just turn me off ;p

I assume you mean 10, lol. But you should be fine with 8. Unless downgrading is free and you really want to use 7. 10 is coming soonish.

I meant 10 yes, I think i'll just go with 8 for now when I have my xps :)

Matte.

(psst, Make a poll. )

I would say glossy only if you want the ts. Otherwise matt all the way.

i've got the xps 15 9530 with touch and the gloss isn't that bad if you turn up the brightness, but if you're often in brightly lit rooms i'd go with matte if you don't need the touch funtionality (personally i like it sometimes because at school i also develop windows 8 apps)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

i've got the xps 15 9530 with touch and the gloss isn't that bad if you turn up the brightness, but if you're often in brightly lit rooms i'd go with matte if you don't need the touch funtionality (personally i like it sometimes because at school i also develop windows 8 apps)

Do you also program in Java, C series, python, ruby, sql, php etc ?

If yes, what'd you recommend for using at school XPS 13 or 15. I do like a nice screen, but I don't want to carry a brick with me all the time.

Do you also program in Java, C series, python, ruby, sql, php etc ?

If yes, what'd you recommend for using at school XPS 13 or 15. I do like a nice screen, but I don't want to carry a brick with me all the time.

i do some c#, php, sql, (ofc html, xml).

in my opinion the 15 is no brick at all, and it's very solid. and it has a lot of horsepower for the size and dell has even thought about the power brick, but battery life is mediocre with about 4-5h of medium usage (web browsing, programming) so if you go with the 15 i'd go with the ssd only model, because it has a bigger battery (i'd do that if i had the choice again)

although the 13 is very nice as well especially if you're on the go a lot, this is a difficult choice :o !

only issue with the 13 i can think of is text scaling. i use my text at 150% (i have the 3200x1800 model, the newer one is 3840x2160) and i can read it well, but at 13 inches that would be more difficult so you'll have less screen estate(because you'd have to use about 175%

but if your eyes are better than mine or you don't need that screen estate, i'd say go with the 13, it's more energy efficient and lighter, you'll get a waaaaaay better battery life (about double :P) of the 15.

but if you can make good use of the horsepower of the 15 (16gb ram, i7 proc and 750m) for vm's for example, i'd go with the 15

i hope this has made it a bit clearer (i'm afraid it has made the choice more difficult haha)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Glossy for touchscreen, matte for everything else.

I wouldn't go for a touchscreen on a pc personally.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

i do some c#, php, sql, (ofc html, xml).

in my opinion the 15 is no brick at all, and it's very solid. and it has a lot of horsepower for the size and dell has even thought about the power brick, but battery life is mediocre with about 4-5h of medium usage (web browsing, programming) so if you go with the 15 i'd go with the ssd only model, because it has a bigger battery (i'd do that if i had the choice again)

although the 13 is very nice as well especially if you're on the go a lot, this is a difficult choice :o !

only issue with the 13 i can think of is text scaling. i use my text at 150% (i have the 3200x1800 model, the newer one is 3840x2160) and i can read it well, but at 13 inches that would be more difficult so you'll have less screen estate(because you'd have to use about 175%

but if your eyes are better than mine or you don't need that screen estate, i'd say go with the 13, it's more energy efficient and lighter, you'll get a waaaaaay better battery life (about double :P) of the 15.

but if you can make good use of the horsepower of the 15 (16gb ram, i7 proc and 750m) for vm's for example, i'd go with the 15

i hope this has made it a bit clearer (i'm afraid it has made the choice more difficult haha)

No, i'm leaning more towards the 15 now :)

The Asus N551jk looks like a really awesome 15inch laptop; http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N551JK/specifications/

I will def go for the 256gb, I hope I can upgrade it with a HDD though..

I think a good glossy with an anti reflective coating such is the one used in the iPhone and iPad is better than matte.

It really does not matter it comes down to personal preference, I think I heard something about Win 8.1 being better on battery life than 7 but not by much. I just upgraded to 8.1 and so far am not liking it too much so windows 7 is what I would say. Do what gets you a matte screen. 

If you don't like the reflections, (who does) go with matte. But yea.. touch is cool sometimes..

I'm using windows 8 on a non-touch screen PC.

Also if you are not bothered to use the touchpad all the time just go with matte.