GTA V Supporting Vulkan API (Roy doesnt know what he talking about)

TwistedDictator

im really hoping that my 770 will be up to running this game once it is finally released for pc.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

So turns out Roy actually didn't mean to say GTA V will support Vulcan.

https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/583757120954314753

https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/583757931272916992

Move along people, nothing to see here.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

No it's basically Mantle with a new name.

Fixed that for you. You are welcome :)

Wow, this is sweet! I just can't justify paying full price tho

Hmmm I wonder if it will also support/update to have DX12

Games was made in DX11 I think so doubt they would put more effort into making it DX12

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

That's like saying DX12 is mantle but with a different name...... it's not, So no thank you.

That's like saying DX12 is mantle but with a different name...... it's not, So no thank you.

vulkan is largely based on mantle though.

No

vulkan is largely based on mantle though.

And Kepler is largely based on Fermi. I dont see anyone saying a 780Ti is a 580 ;)

Yes, DX12 and Vulcan do largely the same thing as mantle does. And the code reflects that. you cant make code that does a particular thing look THAT different from someone elses code. Especially when that someone else has done a great job and lets you learn from it. You guys oversimplify it and think Vulcan is just the exact Mantle code and a new name, but that is ridiculous. Mantle is closed into the GCN1.0+ Arch. And its libraries are written to reflect that. It would simply not run on anything else. It had to be rewritten for a crossplatform API. But of course, the same coding principles applied to Vulcan and DX12 as they did to Mantle. Hence why people say its a part of them. In the same way as Windows 7 is basically Windows NT. Yes their kernels use the same coding principles, but in reality they are much more different than one may think :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

And Kepler is largely based on Fermi. I dont see anyone saying a 780Ti is a 580 ;)

Yes, DX12 and Vulcan do largely the same thing as mantle does. And the code reflects that. you cant make code that does a particular thing look THAT different from someone elses code. Especially when that someone else has done a great job and lets you learn from it. You guys oversimplify it and think Vulcan is just the exact Mantle code and a new name, but that is ridiculous. Mantle is closed into the GCN1.0+ Arch. And its libraries are written to reflect that. It would simply not run on anything else. It had to be rewritten for a crossplatform API. But of course, the same coding principles applied to Vulcan and DX12 as they did to Mantle. Hence why people say its a part of them. In the same way as Windows 7 is basically Windows NT. Yes their kernels use the same coding principles, but in reality they are much more different than one may think :)

DirectX 12 accomplishes many of the same things as Mantle and Vulkan, but is a separate project. However, Vulkan is largely derived from Mantle. The closely connected names are not a coincidence, and it has been confirmed publicly that Vulkan is built with Mantle components.

DirectX 12 accomplishes many of the same things as Mantle and Vulkan, but is a separate project. However, Vulkan is largely derived from Mantle. The closely connected names are not a coincidence, and it has been confirmed publicly that Vulkan is built with Mantle components.

As I said, yes, Vulcan developers had insight into Mantle, and used it. But Vulcan is not even close to Mantle. First off, it supports features that Mantle does not, to achieve feature parity with DX12. Second off, it supports GCN, Kepler, Maxwell, Gen7(.5) and Gen8. That is one hell of a different code to do that, compared to Mantle. 

I know what youre trying to say, and I know that. Ive been following the API news closely, as a game developer and as a spare time programmer. AMD gave Chaos access to mantle source code, so they could work on oGLNext (or now called Vulcan) faster and catch up with DX12, which was in development simultaneously (or perhaps even before) as Mantle. But in no way did Chaos take Mantle code and strap a new name onto it.

You have to realise how low level mantle (and to some extent, DX12 and Vulcan) code is. Mantle simply would not run on anything but GCN. Its like trying to natively run ARM code on x86. Without binary translation or some clever hardware tricks, it doesnt work. And if they were to use that, you immediately lose all benefits of being a low level API on anything but GCN again.

So what im trying to say (and i seem to be just going around in circles explaining it from different angles) is that Vulcan isnt Mantle, just like DX12 isnt Mantle. In reality i would wager Vulcan resembles DX12 more than mantle by this point :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Honestly, who is that Roy?

he seems to spread misinformation in the past year+ hype things that does not need to be hyped...

Honestly, who is that Roy?

he seems to spread misinformation in the past year+ hype things that does not need to be hyped...

Some AMD Marketing employee i think. Maybe technical marketing

As I said, yes, Vulcan developers had insight into Mantle, and used it. But Vulcan is not even close to Mantle. First off, it supports features that Mantle does not, to achieve feature parity with DX12. Second off, it supports GCN, Kepler, Maxwell, Gen7(.5) and Gen8. That is one hell of a different code to do that, compared to Mantle.

That's not much of a difference. Mantle was not GCN-exclusive, it's just that Nvidia didn't want to use an AMD-controlled API.

Vulkan is based on Mantle components, not just as a source of inspiration but actual components being taken from Mantle and put in Vulkan. Vulkan is like Mantle 1.1.

I know what youre trying to say, and I know that. Ive been following the API news closely, as a game developer and as a spare time programmer. AMD gave Chaos access to mantle source code, so they could work on oGLNext (or now called Vulcan) faster and catch up with DX12, which was in development simultaneously (or perhaps even before) as Mantle. But in no way did Chaos take Mantle code and strap a new name onto it.

You have to realise how low level mantle (and to some extent, DX12 and Vulcan) code is. Mantle simply would not run on anything but GCN. Its like trying to natively run ARM code on x86. Without binary translation or some clever hardware tricks, it doesnt work. And if they were to use that, you immediately lose all benefits of being a low level API on anything but GCN again.

So what im trying to say (and i seem to be just going around in circles explaining it from different angles) is that Vulcan isnt Mantle, just like DX12 isnt Mantle. In reality i would wager Vulcan resembles DX12 more than mantle by this point :)

Chaos? Vulkan is made by Khronos.

And yes, Mantle would certainly support architectures apart from GCN, it just never got there because of a lack of support from Nvidia. Intel was tinkering with Mantle support, but that work went into Vulkan instead.

That's not much of a difference. Mantle was not GCN-exclusive, it's just that Nvidia didn't want to use an AMD-controlled API.

Vulkan is based on Mantle components, not just as a source of inspiration but actual components being taken from Mantle and put in Vulkan. Vulkan is like Mantle 1.1.

Chaos? Vulkan is made by Khronos.

And yes, Mantle would certainly support architectures apart from GCN, it just never got there because of a lack of support from Nvidia. Intel was tinkering with Mantle support, but that work went into Vulkan instead.

Sorry, meant Khronos... 

Mantle was and still is GCN exclusive. Mantle was developed as a closed source, with a promise of an SDK and open sourcing it in the future. none of that happened. NV didnt want to do anytihng with mantle, because they were hard at work with MS on DX12. (also they got a look into mantle when AMD opened it to KG)

No. Because what youre saying makes no sense. To give you an analogy, its the same as BMW making a fast sports car, and while developing it, taking a look at their old designs. And then, instead of learning from those and making a great car (like they always do) they would take an engine from a 1 series and put it in there. then they would realise its not really fast, but its has great economy when youre driving slow and deciding to just add another more powerful engine in there, and then switch between them. Instead of rather building a new engine that is both powerful as well as economic. Would make more sense right?

Its the same with Vulcan. They saw what Mantle can do, but it can only do it in one special case, which is GCN. So why would they possibly take mantle source and put it into their API, when they then have to write source for every other architecture too... No, they write code that effectively abstracts the silicon itself, but is still very low level. so they get the best of both worlds.

What mantle was, was an experiment to push the industry, nothing more. and when that was done, AMD handed the source to someone who needed it to stay competitive. But i can assure you, no matter how much of the codebase Khronos has seen, Copy pasting wasnt a thing they did. and neither is Vulcan Mantle1.1...

Mantle could support other GPU architectures outside of GCN (it already supports GCN1.1, 1.2 and 2.0). but it does not support those radically different ones. and it never will. It could support them, if AMD opened it up, and let NV add libraries to support their cards. But AMD wont open it, and even if they do, NV has no benefit in using it, with DX12 and Vulcan here.

Intel is in a very interesting position, as their GPU arch is still "basic" enough so that they emulate a lot of features in their driver. which means they already have driver code for emulating things. meaning they could simply modify the driver to emulate hardware needed for mantle to run, and they had it running well enough to fiddle with it. but they still merely fiddled with it.

Now if you can give me definitive proof that there is mantle source code inside Vulcan, then you have a point. otherwise, facts(vulcan being crossplatform and having feature parity with DX) and common sense make my case :)

"Mantle was and still is GCN exclusive. Mantle was developed as a closed source, with a promise of an SDK and open sourcing it in the future. none of that happened. NV didnt want to do anytihng with mantle, because they were hard at work with MS on DX12 because of pride..."

Fixed that for you :)

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Sorry, meant Khronos... 

Mantle was and still is GCN exclusive. Mantle was developed as a closed source, with a promise of an SDK and open sourcing it in the future. none of that happened. NV didnt want to do anytihng with mantle, because they were hard at work with MS on DX12. (also they got a look into mantle when AMD opened it to KG)

No. Because what youre saying makes no sense. To give you an analogy, its the same as BMW making a fast sports car, and while developing it, taking a look at their old designs. And then, instead of learning from those and making a great car (like they always do) they would take an engine from a 1 series and put it in there. then they would realise its not really fast, but its has great economy when youre driving slow and deciding to just add another more powerful engine in there, and then switch between them. Instead of rather building a new engine that is both powerful as well as economic. Would make more sense right?

Its the same with Vulcan. They saw what Mantle can do, but it can only do it in one special case, which is GCN. So why would they possibly take mantle source and put it into their API, when they then have to write source for every other architecture too... No, they write code that effectively abstracts the silicon itself, but is still very low level. so they get the best of both worlds.

What mantle was, was an experiment to push the industry, nothing more. and when that was done, AMD handed the source to someone who needed it to stay competitive. But i can assure you, no matter how much of the codebase Khronos has seen, Copy pasting wasnt a thing they did. and neither is Vulcan Mantle1.1...

Mantle could support other GPU architectures outside of GCN (it already supports GCN1.1, 1.2 and 2.0). but it does not support those radically different ones. and it never will. It could support them, if AMD opened it up, and let NV add libraries to support their cards. But AMD wont open it, and even if they do, NV has no benefit in using it, with DX12 and Vulcan here.

Intel is in a very interesting position, as their GPU arch is still "basic" enough so that they emulate a lot of features in their driver. which means they already have driver code for emulating things. meaning they could simply modify the driver to emulate hardware needed for mantle to run, and they had it running well enough to fiddle with it. but they still merely fiddled with it.

Now if you can give me definitive proof that there is mantle source code inside Vulcan, then you have a point. otherwise, facts(vulcan being crossplatform and having feature parity with DX) and common sense make my case :)

Mantle was only temporarily GCN-exclusive, because AMD was still developing it. They just decided to hand it over to Khronos instead of making an open Mantle, because Mantle would never have gained the support that Vulkan will. Nvidia wouldn't accept it.

Your BMW analogy is what makes no sense. Khronos decided to ditch all their old OpenGL code in favor of Mantle and what they built on top of that. It's like working on piston-engined planes and then getting a jet engine design to build their new plane around.

Your claim that Mantle could never support architectures apart from GCN is demonstrably wrong. Why would Intel ask for access to Mantle if it wouldn't be able to run on their GPU architectures? It's nonsense, of course Mantle could be used with other architectures.

Here is what Khronos has said:

Many companies have made great contributions to Vulkan, including AMD who contributed Mantle. Being able to start with the Mantle design definitely helped us get rolling quickly

So Vulkan is clearly built on Mantle. As Pcper puts it:

the Vulkan API was definitely started with Mantle and grew from there

Mantle was only temporarily GCN-exclusive, because AMD was still developing it. They just decided to hand it over to Khronos instead of making an open Mantle, because Mantle would never have gained the support that Vulkan will. Nvidia wouldn't accept it.

Your BMW analogy is what makes no sense. Khronos decided to ditch all their old OpenGL code in favor of Mantle and what they built on top of that. It's like working on piston-engined planes and then getting a jet engine design to build their new plane around.

Your claim that Mantle could never support architectures apart from GCN is demonstrably wrong. Why would Intel ask for access to Mantle if it wouldn't be able to run on their GPU architectures? It's nonsense, of course Mantle could be used with other architectures.

Here is what Khronos has said:

So Vulkan is clearly built on Mantle. As Pcper puts it:

Mantle still is GCN exclusive, unless you have any kind of article that states either NV or Intel cards can now use mantle... AMD claimed they were going to release an SDK and source. Then came DX12 and oGLN. We havent heard anything about releasing the source since...

KG ditched all oGL code. Then they looked at Mantle code. Then they wrote their own code. You seem to not be able to comprehend that Mantle code is very low level. It literally cannot even execute on anything but GCN.

i said Mantle doesnt support other architectures. I never said it could not support them.  It seems you have comprehension problems this whole time. 

Intel could run it, i even gave you a reason as to why Intel had an easier time getting Mantle to execute on their GPUs...

Many companies have made great contributions to Vulkan, including AMD who contributed Mantle. Being able to start with the Mantle design definitely helped us get rolling quickly

This is exactly what i have been saying you git... AMD gave them access to Mantle, so they could more easily see the coding practices behind low level APIs (since KG doesnt have the low level experience MS has, from working on the X Box APIs) and be able to more quickly catch up with DX12. But Mantle is not a part (or subset, like you seem to be thinking) of Vulcan in any way, apart from spiritually, if you will. 

Vulcan is its own thing, that was build by Khronos engineers after they had a look at Mantle. Never did anyone at Khronos or AMD even as much as imply that any part of Mantle has been directly used in Vulcan.

KG ditched all oGL code. Then they looked at Mantle code. Then they wrote their own code. You seem to not be able to comprehend that Mantle code is very low level. It literally cannot even execute on anything but GCN.

I just provided proof that they took Mantle code and built some stuff on top of that to make Vulkan.

As for your claim that Mantle cannot run on anything other than GCN, that is obviously completely wrong. And you've provided zero proof for that weird claim.

I just provided proof that they took Mantle code and built some stuff on top of that to make Vulkan.

As for your claim that Mantle cannot run on anything other than GCN, that is obviously completely wrong. And you've provided zero proof for that weird claim.

Does this fix it for you?

-snip-

i said Mantle doesnt support other architectures. I never said it could not support them.  It seems you have comprehension problems this whole time. 

Intel could run it, i even gave you a reason as to why Intel had an easier time getting Mantle to execute on their GPUs...

-snip

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Does this fix it for you?

It contradicts earlier comments like this:

Mantle could support other GPU architectures outside of GCN (it already supports GCN1.1, 1.2 and 2.0). but it does not support those radically different ones. and it never will.

Source of that quote?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

how the fuck does

Mantle could support other GPU architectures outside of GCN (it already supports GCN1.1, 1.2 and 2.0). but it does not support those radically different ones. and it never will.

contradict

-snip-

i said Mantle doesnt support other architectures. I never said it could not support them.  It seems you have comprehension problems this whole time. 

-snip

It literally says the same thing. Mantle could support other architectures, but it does not. And it never will, because Mantle is an AMD thing. Thats it.

Source of that quote?

Here

And here's some more in that vein:

Mantle simply would not run on anything but GCN... except of course if you made it run on anything but GCN, as AMD was planning to since 2013.

http://techreport.com/news/25651/mantle-to-power-15-frostbite-games-dice-calls-for-multi-vendor-support

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amds-mantle-does-not-require-gpus-with-gcn-architecture/

Those plans did not come to fruition, probably because of resistance from Nvidia. Instead that development took place after Mantle was "forked" by Khronos.

OP content has been deleted. What is the topic news exactly?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |