Comcast announces 2Gbps internet service

CaliJL

Great, the price is gonna stay sky higher forever... the company's profit margin is literally 9/10 in operation costs due to lack of competition(don't quote me on this, this was research done last year)... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I feel like this is a late April Fools Prank from comcast849302297d7fefdefd7024e92c48a08b.png

| NZXT H440 | AOC e2450Swd, AOC 2436V, RCA 42" LED TV | AMD 8320E | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 |MSI GeForce GTX 960 Titanium OC 4GB | Corsair CX 750 | 3 TB WD Green and PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Ramaxel RMR5030ME68F9F1600 - 4GBx2 |Logitech G710+|Logitech G502 | Astro A40 | Blue Snowball Ice |

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-average-network-usage/

Lol... 20-25GB a month... I do that several times a day...

One big game download and you're there

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-average-network-usage/

Lol... 20-25GB a month... I do that several times a day...

One big game download and you're there

Ikr? And I'm stuck at $50 for 100GB (it was 70GB with 5 GB every 6 months originally, they decided that people don't like waiting 36 months for more data, though now I can't 150GB by staying with them for however long I needed to)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They struggle to even give me 50Mbps. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Wow that's a small data cap. Just my own PC goes through 10TB of data within 2 days.

You download 10TB in 2 days?

WTF?

I used just under 1TB last month.

BTW the cap is suspended like I said in my post, and it has been for several years.

I used 980GB last month.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Good to see google fiber is forcing competitors to actually work instead of doing nothing. Have to wonder though how much comcast is going to throttle and charge for this service considering their 60mbps package is already expensive enough. 

GIVE

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Only networking enthusiasts will have something faster than a 1Gb/s ethernet port on their computers and network hardware. 2Gb/s sounds like Comcast is inflating a figure to a point where it doesn't actually add real value to the product.

IF their modem can pull 2Gbs and serve it out to 4 1Gbs ethernet ports... I don't see an issue. Plus multiple wireless connections.

I'm happy with 80/20 in the UK although I am excited to have BT role out 500/100 services when they finish the role out of fibre ;)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I just upgraded to the 105 MBs pack for Comcast, for around 100 bucks a month combined with the home phone....

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/04/02/comcasts-new-internet-service-is-twice-as-fast-as-google-fiber/

Some of the world's fastest Internet speeds let you download an HD movie within 7 seconds. But next month, Atlanta will get access to Internet service from Comcast that will cut that time in half.
Comcast announced on Thursday that it will soon begin offering a service capable of delivering Internet speeds of up to 2 gigabits per second — that's twice as fast as Google Fiber's top speeds and 200 times what the average U.S. household currently gets. And, the company claims, it will soon be available to 1.5 million Atlanta residents.
The service, which is called Gigabit Pro, is a none-too-subtle shot across Google's bow, and a sign of further broadband competition to come.
Here's what else is coming, according to a Comcast official:
Later this year, Gigabit Pro will expand beyond Atlanta to cover Comcast's entire customer base — or more specifically, wherever Comcast has laid down fiber. Comcast estimates that 18 million households will become eligible to sign up for the 2 Gbps service, but those households will need to be within one-third of a mile of Comcast's fiber optic infrastructure.
People who have already signed up for Comcast's fastest fiber optic service, which maxes out at 505 megabits per second, will be automatically upgraded to Gigabit Pro, for no extra charge. Gigabit Pro will cost less than the $400 a month that users of the 505 Mbps service currently pay, said the Comcast official, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly. But the company declined to say whether Gigabit Pro would be priced cheap enough to compete directly with Google Fiber, which costs up to $130 a month.
The search giant is famous for offering Google Fiber only to those neighborhoods that express sufficient interest; Comcast, meanwhile, is taking advantage of its existing presence to upgrade speeds for many more people, said Doug Guthrie, the head of Comcast Cable's southern region.
"Our approach is to offer the most comprehensive rollout of multi-gigabit service to the most homes as quickly as possible, not just to certain neighborhoods," said Guthrie in a statement. "Access to Gigabit Pro will give our customers all the broadband capacity they need to stay ahead of future technologies and innovations."
Google Fiber maxes out at 1 Gbps — equivalent to 1,000 megabits per second or 100 times the U.S. average:
(Google Fiber)
At 2 Gbps, Comcast's service would be double what Google Fiber can offer.
Although Google Fiber may stand at a technical disadvantage here, Comcast's deployment could be a long-term win for Google. Analysts have said Google's objective is to threaten existing Internet providers just enough to spur new competition; when Web users opt for faster Internet,they'll use more Google services — and that's Google's ultimate strategy.
We've seen this dynamic play out before. In Austin, Google Fiber spurred a fiber optic arms race with AT&T and other local providers which began offering faster speeds and lower prices. Now it seems Google has opened another battleground.
Atlanta is the new Austin.

well looks like google is getting what they wanted, other people to step thier game up....but still Comcasts prices are still jacked up, + shitty people.....so im guessing if i had the option, i would still choose google.... + no data caps like comcast

Gee, faster than google gigabit. Seems a bit redundant.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I am at the point where no amount of speed is making a Big difference in my daily life. All I ask for is no data-caps before you throttle me. 

I am at the point where no amount of speed is making a Big difference in my daily life. All I ask for is no data-caps before you throttle me. 

another point i forgot in the my opinion Comcast caps and Fiber doesn't Fiber 1 Comcast 0

you would think for 400$ a month comcast would remve data caps

For business users speed can still help at even faster speeds.

You could basically have a SAS shared between youtubers that would feel like it was in your own home.

I can just imagine in the fine print during busy hours of the day limited to 250Mb/s but we'll have to see how well they roll out the service.

Yeah, I kindof agree. I once had 8 mbps and hated my life and google fiber sounded like heaven. Now I got 50 mpbs and it's like so bloody fast, I don't long for it no more. Even though I'm still getting it OR stay with TWC and when google fiber comes they'll give you a free upgrade to 100 mbps. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

If there's no data cap and this isn't uber expensive I would sell my soul for it :|

TWC said they will offer speeds as fast as, or faster than Google Fiber. They listedn my city (San Antonio) as one.

So far, nothing. I feel that it's all bluffs. of course they can produce those speeds. Will they? Only if its profitable, by a large margin.

Google is trying to scare ISPs into stepping up, and the ISPs now appear to be trying to scare google into stepping down early.

There's no way comcast is going to sell me gigabit for less than a thousand dollars a month

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it