Calling all laptop experts! laptop screen upgrades

Go to solution Solved by D2ultima,

As long as the:

Mountain Orientation (side mount, top mount, etc etc)

Bezel area

Active area

Thickness

Connector (40-pin LVDS in this case; this is cleared)

Are all equal, then you can swap the screens with ease. If you know the actual panel name (for example my screen's name is a LP173WF2-TPB1; model numbers look like that) you can go on www.panelook.com and search them up, and add them to a "compare" and then check the available information for them.

Please note: sometimes the machines will hate screens that aren't the one they're sold with, and will lock out brightness adjustments (both in windows and in hotkeys) for the screen.... but you can fix this with registry hacks. As for actually doing it, I can't help with the registry hacking part, but the folks over on notebookreview's forums might. Lots of people that do aftermarket upgrades to their laptops there (including myself).

Good luck!

NB: it *IS* important to make sure dimensions are the same, because sometimes different laptop variants have different LCD cover sizes: for example the clevo P650SA cannot use the 1080p IPS panel that the P650SE and P650SG can take, etc etc, even though they have few differences other than the GPU (A = 965M, E = 970M, G = 980M).

Hello good people of LTT,

I have just bought an hp laptop (boo!) that i will be using for uni and i am wanting to upgrade the screen.

(quick back story, SKIP if you want: got it from work was a $1800 laptop got it below $799 and is way over spec'd, i7 4700mq, 8gb ram. its a hp envy 15-j112tx)

Now this laptop model has 2 (two) versions, a 768P (hd) screen and a 1080p (full HD) screen. I have the hd screen model.

The question is, if i upgrade the screen, will it work?

I have done lots of research and can only seem to find 1 display connector for this laptop, yet there are the 2 different types of screens. Does this mean this cable can carry both a hd and full hd signal. Also both screens from what i can see have the same 40 pin connector on the screens. 

Here is a link to the cable:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-720536-001-DISPLAY-CABLE/dp/B00G2FYOJU

The link to the hp website: http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=F4H28LA

Link to the hp laptop:

http://www8.hp.com/nz/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6537652

link to hp Manuel: 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04091768

link to the screen i want to buy (second fromthe bottom):

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/HP-Compaq/ENVY~15-J112TX/

Also linked (picture below) is the parts for this laptop, in it shows both screens available and only 1 display connector.

Very sorry about all the link, want to supply as much info as possible!

Thanks guys

(any information at all would be nice!)

post-41932-0-18601300-1427780167.png

Sup

As long as the:

Bezel area

Active area

Thickness

Are all equal, then you can swap the screens with ease. If you know the actual panel name (for example my screen's name is a LP173WF2-TPB1; model numbers look like that) you can go on www.panelook.com and search them up, and add them to a "compare" and then check the available information for them.

Please note: sometimes the machines will hate screens that aren't the one they're sold with, and will lock out brightness adjustments (both in windows and in hotkeys) for the screen.... but you can fix this with registry hacks. As for actually doing it, I can't help with the registry hacking part, but the folks over on notebookreview's forums might. Lots of people that do aftermarket upgrades to their laptops there (including myself).

Good luck!

NB: it *IS* important to make sure dimensions are the same, because sometimes different laptop variants have different LCD cover sizes: for example the clevo P650SA cannot use the 1080p IPS panel that the P650SE and P650SG can take, etc etc, even though they have few differences other than the GPU (A = 965M, E = 970M, G = 980M).

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

As long as the:

Bezel area

Active area

Thickness

Good luck!

Thanks mate, thanks for taking the time to write that out!

I'll look out for those things.

cheers

Sup