[Build Log] Project "Blue Meanie" - Gaming PC Build - VK Brock Mod

N1TRO

Hi guys,

This is my first build log so let me know if i'm doing something wrong :).

This project is for my sister, so no one tell her until her birthday xD, anyways this project will include some medium modding later on in the project and will be modeled after the HDT (correction) Brock vk's and vk tributes commonly called the 'Blue meanies'. 

So far I have got a gigabyte z77x-ud3h, i5 2500, gigabyte hd7770 and 2gb of ram for testing. For now I will use my old Thermal-take Level 10gts. If anyone has some ddr3 ram or a powersupply for sale in Australia or is able to ship to Australia, let me know. And yes, these cars are Australian, just like me :). Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas. (Update, got a CX430M)

A few original VK Blue meanies.

TzYiK6u.jpg?1

leJZSt3.jpg

KH87DzQ.jpg

A couple tribute blue meanies and yes that is a Ute cuz STRAYA :)

ao5RRHt.jpg?1

IE75bQb.jpg?1

I will most likely use 'Perfect blue' for the painting of the modded case, this colour was made as a tribute to the aussie racing legend, Peter Brock. This colour will also match the motherboard better.

nl8Cghh.jpg

Thanks for looking guy's, more updates coming soon :).

Green Elegance:

i5 3570k, G1 Sniper M3, Sapphire HD7870 OC Ghz, 8gb Corsair Ram, OCZ Vertex 4 256gb, 2tb WD Green, Silverstone Strider Gold 650w, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, LG Blu-ray drive, MDPC Sleeving.

not one engine bay pic common

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

not one engine bay pic common

?

Green Elegance:

i5 3570k, G1 Sniper M3, Sapphire HD7870 OC Ghz, 8gb Corsair Ram, OCZ Vertex 4 256gb, 2tb WD Green, Silverstone Strider Gold 650w, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, LG Blu-ray drive, MDPC Sleeving.

Some more pictures:

wzKqich.jpg

GKW86rr.jpg

INxjbOi.jpg

uZmOMvd.jpg

Green Elegance:

Looks awesome. Can't wait for future updates! :)

Thanks!

Green Elegance:

Update:

The CPU cooler/heatsink mod.

A circle of 1mm thick polystyrene was cut with a compass and glued to the top of coolers fan assembly with tamiya ca cement/glue.

JvtwkaF.jpg

zTxh6wo.jpg

Some of the supplies used.

UYoDgEO.jpg

The main section of the scoop glued to the heatsink fan assembly.

5spYhYN.jpg

wyIex2v.jpg

Another circle was cut with a compass but this time the center of the circle was cut out to make a ring to go around the fan assembly. Bulldog clips make great clamps for stuff like this :). Small pieces of polystyrene were bent at a 90 degree angle and glued to the assembly and ring, adding strength and support to the joint.

OjK3wp7.jpg

Adding strait pieces of polystyrene that stick out of the edge so bulldog clips can be used to hold the side pieces in place while the glue dries.

Q1sj066.jpg

Gluing the sides on with the bulldog clips holding them in place while the glue dries.

MuLsjC9.jpg

Further gluing of the sides, note the amount of clips used :). Accelerator would be helpful here, I thought after holding it for 3 minutes so it will stay in place, even with the clips.

RvM9pgH.jpg

BlcUmlu.jpg

DxZt9dT.jpg

Finished the main gluing, ahh relief, it actually worked with no plan on paper, but with a plan in my head :).

7ucSz4f.jpg

Sleeving the fan cable with some MDPC from my main rig.

iTUJ2bK.jpg

WXBz1eT.jpg

Main construction of heatsink mod done, now for some puttying, sanding and painting.

MaSnRX5.jpg

More coming soon, including gpu body/heatsink fan mod and whatever else I think of, this is all made directly from my head, no plans on paper so far.

Green Elegance:

GPU Cooler mod:

Marking out ruff size of GPU Back-plate on 2mm thick polystyrene. Excuse the mess :).

f21O94X.jpg

savw4Ev.jpg

The back-plate section cut out to ruff size.

YPi4wyi.jpg

This screw is surprisingly the only thing preventing the back-plate from sitting flat on the GPU.

2x1nAkk.jpg

So a hole is cut out with an model knife to allow the screw to stick through the back-plate. (a cutting mat was used).

SLsdsQ1.jpg

wsFTY9D.jpg

jAUqgaz.jpg

The back-plate sticks out from the edges of the GPU a bit so it is marked with a pen, scored with a scribe and cut with a knife.

7JylGPf.jpg

3CCLk5W.jpg

FfAtRC0.jpg

F9VBo2w.jpg

New knife, soo much quicker.

OTICZxL.jpg

Nooo, oh well that's what filler and putty are for :).

PcaX3Xx.jpg

Nice and flush.

WyeqMKR.jpg

mcj4bo7.jpg

9bb2jxH.jpg

Green Elegance:

Ahh this takes soo long to upload images xD.

Green Elegance:

GPU mod:

Adding sides to the back-plate. Oh and I got some accelerator, this stuff smells horrible (bittering agent) but it works like a charm.

ohprxeP.jpg9WT4GcM.jpgGS8BmAE.jpgapdS54o.jpgwAHcInw.jpgJFnYtVb.jpgG7mxhb7.jpgv2BBbvF.jpg

Now to make it fit.(this is a used card, I will clean out the dust)

CG35GGp.jpg

mYxu47G.jpgwewrVCN.jpg

Green Elegance:

When working on components I wear this around my ankle. It goes to the back of my computer where it is grounded on the case.

mn2NdtB.jpg

Green Elegance:

What parts I have so far:

CPU - i5 2500.

g5TiByO.jpgLD0xxB5.jpghau90HD.jpg

GPU - Gigabyte HD7770.

jQ7vuW7.jpgVH4YWHo.jpg

Motherboard - Gigabyte z77x-ud3h.

rr4UgFc.jpg21sZFsL.jpg

m0xKRgt.jpg

I currently need a psu, case and ram. looking at getting some white kingstone hyperx ram, they would look amazing in this build if i can get some cheap enough :).

Green Elegance:

CPU and GPU mods with putty on and dried. Will continue and update on these mods soon. 

and yes i forgot about the scratch, it will be fixed.

ToJqbfM.jpgPPmAGMs.jpg20RKBcs.jpgCewNeXC.jpgz00gsqj.jpg5VVHsvs.jpg

Green Elegance:

HAPPEASTEEveryone!!!

Green Elegance:

Got a CX430M off ebay for $42 shipped! A Bargain absolute BarGain.

Green Elegance:

Based off a Holden commodore? Insta fucking sub :D

Based off a Holden commodore? Insta fucking sub :D

Hell yea man, thanks for the sub. Glad to see someone who loves these cars as much as me :).

Green Elegance:

Sorry for slow progress guys and gals, been recovering from full on work for 2 days and it was Easter yesterday :)

I'll be busting out my dremel today so more updates coming soon. 

Here are some pictures of testing the components to keep you interested until the modding update later today :).

My friend included this old wifi adapter from a laptop with the board. I took a look at it an saw that it had an old intel logo on it. Better search the specs on this to make sure it wont slow down our wifi :). And old it is, so it wont be used in this build.

Wm4MpVJ.jpg

CPU in the socket, this looks so nice to me. :)

MBL3a1v.jpg

The old stock cooler from my computer for testing. (I don't have a stock cooler on my computer.) Cleaning off the thermal compound from when it was last used.

mbSHVws.jpg

Shiny :).

Wo2KQLn.jpg

Only thermal compound I could find, I have to try and find my MX-4 and Phanteks thermal compound.

C8panUY.jpg

Motherboard in my old case for testing with heat-sink on. Yes I know some standoffs are missing, i have a m-atx board in my computer and the Phanteks standoffs don't screw into this case.

3kL7h06.jpg

Gpu and testing ram in, necessary cables plugged in. 

1xMGATa.jpg

Had to borrow the PSU from my brothers computer. (He was out of the house at the time) :).

KuEVkzQ.jpg

Tested the voltages for lols.

y0ZYGmx.jpg

Everything hooked up :).

kWl0z79.jpg

Anddd, success! 

G0XcDSh.jpgp28Jzff.jpg

Nicely hidden away until more parts come and I get a case to mod for it :).

oWYBxnN.jpg

Green Elegance:

Wooo hooo, I'm a member now ;)

Green Elegance:

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the slow progress guys and gals, been back to school for three (or is it two?) weeks now and we have a crap ton of homework ;) as well as projects for workshop. I will get some body filler and continue this weekend.

Thanks, N1TRO. 

Green Elegance:

Also, I am making a nixie tube clock for workshop so if you guys and gals are interested, let me know and I will do a work log on it.

Green Elegance: