Any ideas to keep performance but reduce price?

RayAIRSPro
Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

I would add an SSD, but that looks better. How much of a speed difference is there between a 970 and the R9 290?

If you add an SSD, stick to a BX100.

With regards to performance differences, here you go:

Bioshock-0.png

Crysis-0.png

Metro-0.png

3DMark-0.png

Unigine-0.png

Soon, I am going to purchase the parts for this next PC build. I have a $900 budget, but any cheaper would be better. Any ideas?

To pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bBzXNG

Specs:

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

wait for sales , look around for other vendours to see who has the best price , or if your daring buy some parts secondhand 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

-snip-

That SSD is not that good and I personally have not heard of that PSU, but Silverstone is a decent brand.

SSD: Get a Samsung EVO 840 or Crucial MX100

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That SSD is not that good and I personally have not heard of that PSU, but Silverstone is a decent brand

I second this. Also get a better mobo i've never heard of that brand o-o

parts on that site are basically commercials. vendors have to pay to be listed on it so make sure you check all sites for the best prices. 

Yeah, same. Skimmed over Mobo because I dont know much out of them :P

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($293.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.94 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $876.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 17:52 EDT-0400

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

780 instead of 970 ? both very simmilar performances ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

That SSD is not that good and I personally have not heard of that PSU, but Silverstone is a decent brand.

SSD: Get a Samsung EVO 840 or Crucial MX100

The SSD is very mediocre and you (don't call me Shirley) surely must have heard of the Silverstone Strider...

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Ok looking for affordable stuff is fine but do you really want to include an ECS motherboard in your build?  They are bottom of the barrel.  Do not cheap out on the motherboard.  In regards to saving some money you don't an SSD right away for anything with a pc so scrap that.  Also in regards to OS if you have to spend money on one you could get a key from G2A that I believe would be cheap.  I prefer to go even cheaper than G2A though ... HAR! HAR! 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Same gaming performance, much lower cost:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.87 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg) (okay, this may not be as good as the GTX 970, but only barely)
Case: BitFenix Neos White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.94 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 43.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($5.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $753.72

SSDs wont help in-game. They only matter for boot/load times, which honestly are no big deal. I purchased an SSD myself a few months ago, and I couldn't care less about the improvement. My PC boots up in 10 seconds as opposed to 20. Doesn't matter. I haven't even bothered moving the rest of my gaming library over after trying the SSD out on my most played games. It didn't matter to me enough. I guess I'm just more patient than most.

780 instead of 970 ? both very simmilar performances ?

I chose a 970 because it's cheaper from what i've seen, and the price-to-performance ratio is better

Same gaming performance, much lower cost:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.87 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg) (okay, this may not be as good as the GTX 970, but only barely)

Case: BitFenix Neos White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.94 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 43.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($5.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $753.72

SSDs wont help in-game. They only matter for boot/load times, which honestly are no big deal. I purchased an SSD myself a few months ago, and I couldn't care less about the improvement. My PC boots up in 10 seconds as opposed to 20. Doesn't matter. I haven't even bothered moving the rest of my gaming library over after trying the SSD out on my most played games. It didn't matter to me enough. I guess I'm just more patient than most.

I would add an SSD, but that looks better. How much of a speed difference is there between a 970 and the R9 290?

ECS if one the biggest motherboard distrubutors. They make mostly for OEMs, and they don't put work into making it look fancy.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

The SSD is very mediocre and you (don't call me Shirley) surely must have heard of the Silverstone Strider...

What SSD is mediocre? According to you?

And no, never heard of Sillverstone's PSU's :P

I have not been into PC's that long 

What SSD is mediocre? According to you?

And no, never heard of Sillverstone's PSU's :P

I have not been into PC's that long 

I have never used an SSD in a build before, so any SSD would be nice for me, because it is an upgrade xD

I have never used an SSD in a build before, so any SSD would be nice for me, because it is an upgrade xD

Well the Kingston SSD's are barely an upgrade from a HDD.

I would still recommend another one.

Bioshock-0.png

Crysis-0.png

Metro-0.png

3DMark-0.png

Unigine-0.png

Bioshock-0.png

Crysis-0.png

Metro-0.png

3DMark-0.png

Unigine-0.png

Thanks dude! that's a huge help

Thanks dude! that's a huge help

I fit in a 290x which is even better..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.