AMD or Intel for $500 Budget

I was wanting to build a console priced gaming PC for around $500-550. From what I've been hearing, AMD's APU is the way to go, but won't see any real performance benefit until Kaveri comes around. That in mind, I was thinking about Intel's Haswell Core i3 when it launches. So basically, what would do better, an AMD APU, possibly Hybrid Crossfire later with an appropriate card, or getting a Haswell i3 and a GTX 760? Thanks for your responses.

Better GPU support if you go with the i3 and 760, as you won't have to do deal with any multi-GPU issues with some games.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i3 if you buy that it gives you room to upgrade if you ever wanted to and the 760 is a good card not sure if there would be any bottlenecking but I assume no.

Thanks for the fast responses. I'd have no idea what motherboard to get, however. I'm not to familiar with Haswell just yet. 

Your answer depends on what your specific needs are.

Is space an issue? Depending on your PC case, if space is an issue then I suggest you got for an AMD APU. With it, you won't need the space that a proper GPU will require.

With that said, the fact you specifically want a PC "console" indicates that going the Intel + GPU route would be your best option. Especially if you intend to use the GTX 760 that you're looking at, you'll get better gaming value out of it with the coming Shadowplay features as well as compatibility with nVidia Shield.

If I were you, I'd get an overclockable cpu to get the most out of your games. I don't see why an I3 wouldn't suit your needs, but the currently available i5 4670k is a great processor!

i3 if you buy that it gives you room to upgrade if you ever wanted to and the 760 is a good card not sure if there would be any bottlenecking but I assume no.

Most likely no bottlenecking.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Your answer depends on what your specific needs are.

Is space an issue? Depending on your PC case, if space is an issue then I suggest you got for an AMD APU. With it, you won't need the space that a proper GPU will require.

He was going to do Hybrid Crossfire, so he would add in a discrete card.

I would not recommend an i3 for gaming , especially now that games are going to require more threads, an i3 will not give playable frame rates.
crysis3%20proz%202.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/crysis-3-the-lost-island-test-gpu.html

I would recommend getting an FX 6300 from AMD & a dedicated GPU, it will cost you the same as an i3 but will provide significantly better performance in the long run.

I would also recommend getting an HD 7950 over a 760, it performs significantly better when both are overclocked & has a larger frame bugger (3GB as compared to the 760's 2GB)

HD 7950 @ 1100mhz, GTX 760 @ 1230mhz

nLidays.png

9XH0E2X.png

5VCkeME.png

E37uPkx.png

According from Tech of Tomorrow, they are within a couple FPS.

MSI%20GTX%20760%20Twin%20Frozr%20Benchma

MSI-GTX-760-Twin-Frozr-Benchmarks-JEPGs.

MSI%20GTX%20760%20Twin%20Frozr%20Benchma

Also, a lot of cards I see from the red camp come around $200. If I'm on a tight budget, I'd rather save a couple bucks and put that into something else.

EDIT: Most 760's are around $150.

for around $500 it would be very difficult to build a small gamer system with any decent performance. especially if you need to buy everything like monitor, keyboard, operating system.

what do you have now? or is this budget for everything?

got to love Asus components

According from Tech of Tomorrow, they are within a couple FPS.

I haven't looked at the benchmark elric did of this, but looking at those scores i'm guessing he probably didn't overclock the cards.

It is VERY easy to overclock a gpu, you literally just move a slider in afterburner.

That being said, the 7950 is an insane overclocker. therefore i would much lean toward a 7950.

From what I've seen the gtx 7xx series cards arent very good at overclocking.

Also definitely consider an fx-6300/fx-6350. I posted a thread here showing the fx-6300's benchmarks in cinebench.

Even a mild overclock can get you near the performance of a stock 3570k. (And it only costs $100)

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

An i3 barely bottlenecks a 690 so... lol

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Why are you guys suggesting he buy an HD 7950 when that would blow half the budget?

Something like an A8-5600K, Asrock FM2A55M-DGS with an HD 7850, 2x2GB RAM, Antec VP450 PSU and a WD Caviar blue in a Fractal Core 1000 or Corsair 200D would be around 500 dollars.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

From what I've heard Richland is pretty competitive in single GPU solutions.

If you are not planning APU, why not a FX-4300?? benches show it better than an i3.

Also, AMD platforms (Mobo and CPU) are generally less expensive than Intel platforms.

a10 5800k's are actually pretty decent with dedicated gpus after u disable onboard video, I'd buy one a those and build a decent basic rig around that and later when u can afford it, plop in a gtx 760 or something and u might be set, also if u can get ur budget up 8320's can be bought for $140 a good 970 board for $80 and maybe a 7870 or 7850

I was wanting to build a console priced gaming PC for around $500-550. From what I've been hearing, AMD's APU is the way to go, but won't see any real performance benefit until Kaveri comes around. That in mind, I was thinking about Intel's Haswell Core i3 when it launches. So basically, what would do better, an AMD APU, possibly Hybrid Crossfire later with an appropriate card, or getting a Haswell i3 and a GTX 760? Thanks for your responses.

For budget constraints and best bang for you buck i would go AMD.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Try to find used 2500K & Z68 mobo with it, that would be best bang for buck if you can't then 3570K or 4670K with Z77 or Z87 mobo. For GPU used GTX 680, you can save a lot of money if you buy used components, from a reliable seller and in mint condition of course.

CPU-AMD FX 8320 160$
RAM-G.SKILL ripjaws 4GB Ram(2X4GB) 72$
GPU-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 140$
Asus M5A97 68$
HDD-Western Digital WD Blue 500 GB 60$
Case-NZXT Source 210 30$
PSU-Corsair CX 430 20$ ( mail rebate )   80+ bronze

perfect 550$ and build that will last you till volcanic islands, then you sell 7850 for 130$ bucks and buy gpu that is more powerful, 2gb of vram, and consume less electricity, so something like 9770 or even 9750, depends how much powerful will shrinken node and more transistors will be.

8320 can be OCed to 8350 with a hyper 212 or something, that is similar to i5 in performance, but has 4 more cores, so core for core is weaker, but future games will take those 6 / 8 cores so not to worry

graphic card is very powerful for its price, but its 1 gig so it will bottleneck down the road, so obvious choice is to upgrade when 9000 series comes out. and its super cheap and overclockable, and you will be able to sell it for definitly more than 120$ in october / november / december when new card of your choice comes out

tell me what you think

this build is perfect for 720p mid / high next gen gaming, but because 1 gig vram, 1080p is not suitable

anymore. had to cut some out, and i did it at graphic card. because that is the easiest way to replace it, becuase prices are dropping so fast, and cpu power is no bottleneck, so no need to change it at all

newegg <- retailer

8320 can be OCed to 8350 with a hyper 212 or something, that is similar to i5 in performance, but has 4 more cores, so core for core is weaker, but future games will take those 6 / 8 cores so not to worry

Actually, I got my FX 8320 from 3.5 to 4.4Ghz on stock voltage with the stock cooler, but the cooler does get loud under load max temp is 52c though, which is super cool.

My top 2 CPU picks are definitely the FX 8320 & the FX 6300 for more budget friendly builds.

Get the above build but hold fire on gpu, save a few more bucks and slap in a 7950 and oc it. Will destroy most things you throw at it at 1080p.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)