Australian Senate passes data-retention legislation

No this is so they can do that BS pirate thing where they charge you $25 every time. 

That doesn't really look like it's going to happen since shareholders and iinet's board aren't happy at all.

I really hope it doesn't go through I am not to sure what happens with public businesses in Australia but I know in the US if its bought out like 90% or something they don't need shareholders approval but I think it still has to get past the ACCC

no it's not, the $25 fine BS proposal is a completely different thing from this.  Whether they use this as a spring board for other more insidious things is yet to be seen, however this in of itself has nothing to do with the private proposal made by the  ISP consortium. 

I know, obviously there not going to come out and say oh hey this will help screw everyone over lol but no doubt they will use this to help them achieve that endeavor.

I really hope it doesn't go through I am not to sure what happens with public businesses in Australia but I know in the US if its bought out like 90% or something they don't need shareholders approval but I think it still has to get past the ACCC

Yea i know and reading more into it, it looks like alot has changed in the past few days and is looking more and more feasible which sucks. IInet is basically our only hope to speaking up for us when this $25 fine thing comes into play. I think it would be a terrible time to sell as when this $25 fine thing does come into play i suspect they will get an influx of consumers due to how consumer rights oriented they are. All we can do is hope for the best i guess, i was really looking forward to switching to them once i get my fiber :(

I know, obviously there not going to come out and say oh hey this will help screw everyone over lol but no doubt they will use this to help them achieve that endeavor.

The thing I am most interested to find out is how the ISP consortium proposes to get around privacy laws which state personal data can only be handed over to government enforcement agencies. Ergo they are only allowed to hand over personal data to a third party if they ask for consent to do so.  The privacy act also forbids any entity from asking for permission or information that is not relevant to the primary purpose or reasonable necessary (this means that what we download is neither relevant to an ISP being able to provide the service nor is recording such data reasonably necessary).

Personally I think that proposal is either going to fall flat on it's face or we have a significantly bigger issue with government control than just worrying about anti piracy BS. In which case internet privacy is the least of our worries.

For anyone interested (warning it is long and mostly legal speak):

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2015C00089/Html/Text#_Toc414890137

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So we see Australia fall in line with the US again 

*Five eyes * Cough 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

-snip-

They don't necessarily have to give over anything like that though, it's the meta data they get from isp's that show we were atleast on that site then without isp's help can/will somehow figure out away to see if we are downloading or not or use the meta data as reasonable suspicion to get isp's to help? idk if they can do that. 

Not that I want my personal opinion get in the way but...

Current government: Retarded monkeys that were dropped from birth.

That said, given our current situation, the country is falling way behind the times and the government digging a larger debt tech wise. Our new inferior NBN solution is now projected to cost over $100 billion AUD, way much more than Labor's FTTP solution which is around $40 billion-ish, this is not including the running cost of having nodes everywhere as this was not required for FTTP.

The metadata legislation is projected to cost $400 million a year but we don't know how much the government is willing to pay their share and I'd imagine it'll be stuff all. Prices for would go up for customers and they're already expensive to begin with.

*sigh* Personally, I'm really tired of hearing more and more backward decisions from BOTH parties recently that I'm tempted to move up to Canada now. >_<

Not that I want my personal opinion get in the way but...

Current government: Retarded monkeys that were dropped from birth.

That said, given our current situation, the country is falling way behind the times and the government digging a larger debt tech wise. Our new inferior NBN solution is now projected to cost over $100 billion AUD, way much more than Labor's FTTP solution which is around $40 billion-ish, this is not including the running cost of having nodes everywhere as this was not required for FTTP.

The metadata legislation is projected to cost $400 million a year but we don't know how much the government is willing to pay their share and I'd imagine it'll be stuff all. Prices for would go up for customers and they're already expensive to begin with.

*sigh* Personally, I'm really tired of hearing more and more backward decisions from BOTH parties recently that I'm tempted to move up to Canada now. >_<

Yup its just a big waste of money and the whole thing once again like ADSL is going by distance, my area is currently under works at the moment and by the look at the speed chart I won't be getting that much of an increase in speed

They don't necessarily have to give over anything like that though, it's the meta data they get from isp's that show we were atleast on that site then without isp's help can/will somehow figure out away to see if we are downloading or not or use the meta data as reasonable suspicion to get isp's to help? idk if they can do that. 

Fortunately at the moment they can't do that.  They could hand your details over to the local police and say "we think they have been pirating because they visited pirate bay and had about 800MB of data flow in from random IPs after that" , but in Australia the cops will just look at them sideways and ask for proof the law was broken"  

I have had first hand experience with this, I was selling an 1966 E-type jag 2 years back.  I kept getting people telling me they'd pay with paypal but they couldn't call because they were on the ocean. (yeah right). So I thought I'd do the right thing and called the police, explained that these people where trying to con me and explained the way the con works.  I was only hoping they would take some details and add it to a list of suspicious email address or something for future reference.  All the cop did was tell me there is nothing they can do until a crime has been committed.  This is why I think the ISPs are pushing so hard for this to go through parliament and be passed into law.  Otherwise even with the new meta data retention laws they have dick all chance of pinging you for downloading a movie.

Personally I am not taking any chances and will use a VPN when visiting or reading news on torrent, tor, etc.  I  know Telstra already store meta data and have already handed it over to authorities on demand. they have been doing it for the last 2 years and nothing has come of it for ordinary people like me. 

Sorry for the long post, in short the ISPs proposal really worry's me, not because I think it will pass, but because it is wrong on moral, ethical and legal grounds and the mere fact they are trying to push it is concerning.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There's a joke I know that seems relevant. ALP: Another Liberal Party.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.