Really considering the HP Stream 13, but got a few more questions...

So, I was looking around for a laptop for purchase by December and found the HP Stream 13 locally (finally)... It's the best one imo at its price point, but I'm still left with a few questions...

Purpose is general office work, media consunption (1080p 60fps videos, heavy flash apps), and webdev-oriented programming with a bit of photo and video editing on the side...

Since the Stream 13 is a low-end fanless machine, how should I expect it to perform doing the above tasks?

How would it compare to the eMachines D732Z (Pentium D P6100 4GB RAM)?

Could it handle my 20+ FIrefox and 20+ Chrome tabs at the same time?

How reliable would it be in ambient temperatures of around 40C?

thanks in advance...

-Hermit

*snip*

I looked it up and the stream only has 2GB of RAM, so it will struggle with that many tabs open.

"Our conversations aint long, but you know what is." - Jason Derulo

I looked it up and the stream only has 2GB of RAM, so it will struggle with that many tabs open.

That's my worry too... but coming from a Pentium P6100... I'd like it to be comparable..

So, I was looking around for a laptop for purchase by December and found the HP Stream 13 locally (finally)... It's the best one imo at its price point, but I'm still left with a few questions...

Purpose is general office work, media consunption (1080p 60fps videos, heavy flash apps), and webdev-oriented programming with a bit of photo and video editing on the side...

-Hermit

The Stream 13's display is 1366x768 so unless you hdmi'ing out to something you wont need 1080, 720 will suffice.

Since the Stream 13 is a low-end fanless machine, how should I expect it to perform doing the above tasks?

How would it compare to the eMachines D732Z (Pentium D P6100 4GB RAM)?

Could it handle my 20+ FIrefox and 20+ Chrome tabs at the same time?

How reliable would it be in ambient temperatures of around 40C?

thanks in advance...

-Hermit

I don't understand this, no way are you actively using all 40 tabs at once, it's called bookmarks, you can close a window and come back to it later...

If you just close all the excess tabs, the 2GB shouldn't be an issue.

So my advice would be to change your usage habits and get the Stream 13, or find a higher end laptop.

You can use the metro UI Browser. It should minimize a lot of RAM usages compare to the programs one. Of course, having a 2GB RAM does limits the tabs, but you can manage it. :P

The Stream 13's display is 1366x768 so unless you hdmi'ing out to something you wont need 1080, 720 will suffice.

I don't understand this, no way are you actively using all 40 tabs at once, it's called bookmarks, you can close a window and come back to it later...

If you just close all the excess tabs, the 2GB shouldn't be an issue.

So my advice would be to change your usage habits and get the Stream 13, or find a higher end laptop.

I work mainly in cataloging and research and I need all those tabs up to keep track on my information sources (some websites have the login sessions expire within 20 minutes and keeping the page open is more efficient than logging in over and over)... and yes I will be HDMIng it out when I'm watching some stuff...

You can use the metro UI Browser. It should minimize a lot of RAM usages compare to the programs one. Of course, having a 2GB RAM does limits the tabs, but you can manage it. :P

MetroUI Browser?

I work mainly in cataloging and research and I need all those tabs up to keep track on my information sources (some websites have the login sessions expire within 20 minutes and keeping the page open is more efficient than logging in over and over)... and yes I will be HDMIng it out when I'm watching some stuff...

MetroUI Browser?

Then I'd suggest a higher end laptop with at least 8GB of RAM, or a 4GB that can be expanded to 8 (or more).

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318632

Then I'd suggest a higher end laptop with at least 8GB of RAM, or a 4GB that can be expanded to 8 (or more).

I'd do it if I could afford it... Next in line would be the Lenovo G4045 w/ A6-6310 APU and 4GB RAM... but it's almost double the cost... something way outside whatever I can afford...

I can move the photo and video editing workload to my desktop (see sig for specs)... so the real dilemma is handling them tabs and that flash game...

MetroUI Browser?

I meant like an Internet Explorer app on the metro screen.

Maybe you can download a Google Chrome or Google Search App and use it.

I do know doing a lot of works on the metro screen preserve battery life, ram usage and performance whereas using an actual programs on a desktop eats up a lot of battery life, ram usage and performances.

I'd do it if I could afford it... Next in line would be the Lenovo G4045 w/ A6-6310 APU and 4GB RAM... but it's almost double the cost... something way outside whatever I can afford...

I can move the photo and video editing workload to my desktop (see sig for specs)... so the real dilemma is handling them tabs and that flash game...

Well then, sounds like your pretty set on the Stream 13.

Only other thing I can think of for your consideration is, if your current laptop is in good condition, upgrading it with an SSD and maybe more RAM (if possible).

I meant like an Internet Explorer app on the metro screen.

Maybe you can download a Google Chrome or Google Search App and use it.

I do know doing a lot of works on the metro screen preserve battery life, ram usage and performance whereas using an actual programs on a desktop eats up a lot of battery life, ram usage and performances.

Seems interesting... I'll test it out on my current machine...

Well then, sounds like your pretty set on the Stream 13.

Only other thing I can think of for your consideration is, if your current laptop is in good condition, upgrading it with an SSD and maybe more RAM (if possible).

Getting an SSD would be the fallback plan (failure to raise enough money to get the stream)... My current laptop is on its way to silicon heaven... I already have the fan overvolted to 5V because they don't make the parts for it anymore (it's a 2010 eMachines) and getting some parts from the manufacturer directly is either too expensive or downright inaccessible (see country)...

Getting an SSD would be the fallback plan (failure to raise enough money to get the stream)... My current laptop is on its way to silicon heaven... I already have the fan overvolted to 5V because they don't make the parts for it anymore (it's a 2010 eMachines) and getting some parts from the manufacturer directly is either too expensive or downright inaccessible (see country)...

Check eBay for parts, found a dozen plus listing for new fans with just a quick search. Just find one that's willing to ship to the Philippines. Some are coming out of china so I'm sure they'll ship pretty much anywhere. A new fan (new thermal paste too while you're at it) and a SSD and it'd probably act like a whole different machine.

...Or just get the Stream 13

Check eBay for parts, found a dozen plus listing for new fans with just a quick search. Just find one that's willing to ship to the Philippines. Some are coming out of china so I'm sure they'll ship pretty much anywhere. A new fan (new thermal paste too while you're at it) and a SSD and it'd probably act like a whole different machine.

...Or just get the Stream 13

Import taxes and shipping costs will pad...

I found a half-decent SSD for under 60USD... Will extend the life of my current laptop with it... until I raise more money when I get out of college...