Twitch.tv Compromised

thebennyboy

So it seems twitch.tv may have been hacked. After amazon bought it, you would have thought they would have bolstered up the security a bit. Seems out that didn't happen. They are going to force you to reset your password and you will need to generate a new stream key. Anyone who had their twitter and/or youtube account connected to their twitch account will also need to reconnect them.

We are writing to let you know that there may have been unauthorized access to some Twitch user account information.

For your protection, we have expired passwords and stream keys and have disconnected accounts from Twitter and YouTube. As a result, you will be prompted to create a new password the next time you attempt to log into your Twitch account.

We also recommend that you change your password at any website where you use the same or a similar password. We will communicate directly with affected users with additional details.

Sincerely,

Twitch Staff

Source: http://blog.twitch.tv/2015/03/important-notice-about-your-twitch-account/

EDIT:

We are writing to let you know that there may have been unauthorized access to some of your Twitch user account information, including possibly your Twitch username and associated email address, your password, the last IP address you logged in from, limited credit card information (card type, truncated card number and expiration date), and any of the following if you provided it to us: first and last name, phone number, address, and date of birth.

PLEASE NOTE: Twitch does not store or process full credit or debit card information, so your card number is safe.

While we store passwords in a cryptographically protected form, we believe it’s possible that your password could have been captured in clear text by malicious code when you logged into our site on March 3rd.

For your protection, we have expired your password and stream keys. In addition, if you had connected your account to Twitter or YouTube, we have terminated this connection.

You will be prompted to create a new password the next time you attempt to log into your Twitch account. If applicable, you will also need to re-connect your account to Twitter and YouTube, and re-authenticate through Facebook, once you change your password. We also recommend that you change your password at any other website where you use the same or a similar password.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

The Twitch Team

Thanks PyroDonkey for the e-mail quote

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Bugger

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

dammit, i hate to change passwords -.-

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Any company can be hacked. ITs not like just because they were bought by a big company they would be immune to hacks. Even large companies today get hacked quite frequently

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

thankfully i used a stupidly simple password that computers would find very hard to decipher, all thanks to xkcd.  now i just need to come up with a string of random words... maybe a number or two.  maybe ill throw in a symbol if i feel like it

I knew a something fishy was going on when nobody could stream and every game had 0 viewers.

Security means nothing to hackers who want to hack somthing real bad. They will find the way, they always have. Cant be stopped.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I would like to expand this with the email that I got because it seems to be a lot worse than just some missing passwords.

We are writing to let you know that there may have been unauthorized access to some of your Twitch user account information, including possibly your Twitch username and associated email address, your password, the last IP address you logged in from, limited credit card information (card type, truncated card number and expiration date), and any of the following if you provided it to us: first and last name, phone number, address, and date of birth.

PLEASE NOTE: Twitch does not store or process full credit or debit card information, so your card number is safe.

While we store passwords in a cryptographically protected form, we believe it’s possible that your password could have been captured in clear text by malicious code when you logged into our site on March 3rd.

For your protection, we have expired your password and stream keys. In addition, if you had connected your account to Twitter or YouTube, we have terminated this connection.

You will be prompted to create a new password the next time you attempt to log into your Twitch account. If applicable, you will also need to re-connect your account to Twitter and YouTube, and re-authenticate through Facebook, once you change your password. We also recommend that you change your password at any other website where you use the same or a similar password.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

The Twitch Team

So, they have a lot more than just that, it seems.

Project Refresh - [900D x 780 Ti SLI x Watercooled]

Build Log

Crap, used my old insecure password for Twitch. Now I have to change a lot of sites... Thank god I enabled Login Approvals for Facebook.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Funny having to change my 12 character randomized password that I had for twitch.

Does anyone know if this will affect the Steam accounts that are connected to Twitch accounts? They mentioned twitter and YouTube, but not steam.

Phew, I thought someone was just targeting my account...

Glad to see I'm not the only one affected

Dammit, why cant large companies get this right!

Any company can be hacked. ITs not like just because they were bought by a big company they would be immune to hacks. Even large companies today get hacked quite frequently

Again this is not a valid argument, I'll use the same analogy that I used before: "Any lock can be defeated, henceforth I shall leave my door wide open because my lock is useless"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I didn't read it all. Does this affect everyone or just streamers? I'd imagine it would be everyone.

Again this is not a valid argument, I'll use the same analogy that I used before: "Any lock can be defeated, henceforth I shall leave my door wide open because my lock is useless"

I didn't say you shouldn't invest in security. I said that it is still possible to be hacked no matter how much u invest in it. I don't see why you start and argument where there is none

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

I didn't say you shouldn't invest in security. I said that it is still possible to be hacked no matter how much u invest in it. I don't see why you start and argument where there is none

Because in this context, it seems a bit apologetic and defensive of Twitch. If it was not intended like that however that's ok so let's carry on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm glad Twitch told everyone. Simply hiding the fact that they were compromised would be easier and wouldn't have damaged their image - but they have the integrity to tell everyone the truth.

Oh well at least they noticed and are doing everything in their power to protect their users.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Check here before you panic.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com