Wet Laptop Recovery AGAIN Dell XPS 13

"your not suppose to do stupid thing's" i thinks that the whole point of linus actually :P he does stupid thing so that we don't have to thanks linus!

Rorossi FTW!! :D

lulz I can't believe you did it again. Bravo for balls Linus!  :lol:

I guess this is a personal thing, but Linus- what have you done with your hair; it looks horrible! :( Kindly get it sorted, you look rather bad and that doesn't suit you...

PC in Profile

Pretty sure most laptops would survive, but whatever man

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

To followup the followup, how about chucking an old (but fully functioning preferably) desktop mobo/ram/cpu/ssd (not hdd, dat get filled hole yo) PSU out in the rain and try reserecting that.
Going without chassis would just make it quicker and easier.

It'll provide more evidence as to whether it's fine to get electronics wet that are only powered by 5v/off.

If off, it'll be fine, so long as particles left by the rain are cleared off sufficiently.

Pure water's harmless of course, even to powered electronics (just gotta keep it pure)

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

I enjoyed the video but really in the year 2015 for electronics which people use more and more on a daily basis outside at work and for play they should all be waterproof to a certain point.  It is totally ridiculous that many are not.  An example would be my first ever smart phone from Nokia.  I was shocked when they told me it was not waterproof.  At that point I lost some respect for the smartphone / cellphone market.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Wow, If I was the guy at Dell that sent you that, I would be pissed right now. But since I'm just a no one, I'm glad you're willing to destroy your relationship with companies to bring us interesting videos.

customer spilled coffee on dell and it survived. recommended more ram if they wanted a faster pc not coffee 

Linus Tech Tips: We're so good with computers, we actually don't know how to break them.

Primo video. Great job guys!

Ps: Hire a woman; you mentioned you'd do it before. It will really help your workplace, I promise.

Note: do not ever trust linus with a laptop..

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

Now you have to do a waterproof test for every laptop you review @LinusTech

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

It appears to me that you only had really bad luck. I'm regularly taking pictures with my Z2 while being under water and never had any damage.

Maybe you are just having great luck. Does your Z2 get fogged up in the main camera lens after exposure to water? Mine does and it seems irreversible. No difference in image quality.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Can someone explain, the laptop was in sleep so there was still power going through it.  How can it not fry the second water touches something that has power going through it, since it's not distilled water.  water gets in electronics start shorting computer dies, right?

That kinda makes me think twice about my dream's Macbook Retina Display. I mean... I know it may not be the best on the market and Apple products are expensive (SPECIALLY IN BRAZIL... SUPER EXPENSIVE) and so on... The fact is that if I have the propper conditions to buy one, I'd want to. Buuuuuut this Dell is amazing. Love the way it looks.

Cheers from Brazil!

-----------------------------------------------
Daniel Souza
Computer Engineering Student
Brazil

​-----------------------------------------------

I honestly believe since most laptops are not designed to take spill damage, let alone rain damage, most board have almost equal opportunity of survival once exposed and corroded. I think it's based on if it's attempted to be turned on before drying and doing stuff like I listed above. 

Makes me want to be paid to soak 20 different laptops in equal water exposure and see what happens after they are fixed the exact same way xD

Get a hold of an MSI GT80 Titan.  You know what you have to do...

Get a hold of an MSI GT80 Titan.  You know what you have to do...

Lol I want that thing so bad but could not justify it in a million years. My number one complaint about laptops of that size are terrible to type on becuase of the elevated surface the generally shit keyboard is on. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is actually pretty effective marketing. Kinda want to buy one of these.

man I CRINGED at the part when the laptop was being soaked. I wish I had the luxury of experimenting on expensive equipment like this! good thing LMG is there to do for us :D

Would it still have worked if it was entirely submerged instead of those raindrops?

English is not my native language, so go easy on me :rolleyes:

Would it still have worked if it was entirely submerged instead of those raindrops?

Most likely not. That rain is most likely being diverted to less critical parts and not things like the battery connectors.

Plus I don't think the screen got water into it. But under water who knows.

PLZ make this a benchmark for all of the laptops you review, because why not?