i7 4970K temperature problems on stock cooler

I am aware i wrote 4970k in title. Meant 4790k :)

Hi. I have had serious temperature issues with my new i7 4790k and have had my new build PC shut down twice. I had it water cooled first which gave me heat problems. Then i changed it to the stock to see if how that would perform. The chip runs as stock clock with the 4400mhz boost during all tests. There are no signs of problems with the chip except the temperature. It performs extremely well in any test i have thrown at it. 

I have two questions:

Are these temps normal/expected for i7 4790k on stock cooler with the preapplied thermal paste:(All temps monitored with HWmonitor)

Ambient temperature in room: ~22 degrees C. 

Idle: ~40 degrees C. 

Counter Strike global offensive: 80-90 degrees C.

BF4 spectating large 64 player battles: 85-95 degrees C.

HOT CPU4 diagnostic tool: 95-100 degrees C. 

I have used other temperature monitors as well to which gave same results. 

Second question is about when my PC just shuts down. It has done it once after about 1½ hours of counter strike on water cooling and once spectating BF4 on stock cooler.

I did not see the temperature just before the crash, but after the crash the PC wont turn on for about 10 minutes. Is the typical when a CPU overheats? It doesn't matter if i switch the power supply off and on again. It wont boot for the next 10 min no matter what I do.

I am wondering if manufacturing errors ever happens in regards to a warmer chip than usual?

Hope you can help me get my new PC in order. :) It would also be nice just to hear your experience with the 4790K with regards to temperatures on different coolers. 

Thanks in advance.  

theres no reasont o have a pc crash on stock cooler, let alone watercooling. I would rma if it's not oced, if it is oced, then try lowering oc.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Hi. I have had serious temperature issues with my new i7 4970k and have had my new build PC shut down twice. I had it water cooled first which gave me heat problems. Then i changed it to the stock to see if how that would perform. The chip runs as stock clock with the 4400mhz boost during all tests. There are no signs of problems with the chip except the temperature. It performs extremely well in any test i have thrown at it. 

I have two questions:

Are these temps normal/expected for i7 4970k on stock cooler:(All temps monitored with HWmonitor)

Ambient temperature in room: ~22 degrees C. 

Idle: ~40 degrees C. 

Counter Strike global offensive: 80-90 degrees C.

BF4 spectating large 64 player battles: 85-95 degrees C.

HOT CPU4 diagnostic tool: 95-100 degrees C. 

I have used other temperature monitors as well to which gave same results. 

Second question is about when my PC just shuts down. It has done it once after about 1½ hours of counter strike on water cooling and once spectating BF4 on stock cooler.

I did not see the temperature just before the crash, but after the crash the PC wont turn on for about 10 minutes. Is the typical when a CPU overheats? It doesn't matter if i switch the power supply off and on again. It wont boot for the next 10 min no matter what I do.

I am wondering if manufacturing errors ever happens in regards to a warmer chip than usual?

Hope you can help me get my new PC in order. :) It would also be nice just to hear your experience with the 4970K with regards to temperatures on different coolers. 

Thanks in advance.  

Sounds like you have applied your thermal paste badly to me! The stock cooler shouldn't be allowing the CPU to over heat. How much thermal paste did you use, and how did you apply it?

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Sounds like you have applied your thermal paste badly to me! The stock cooler shouldn't be allowing the CPU to over heat. How much thermal paste did you use, and how did you apply it?

Ussualy TIM is pre-applied on Stock Coolers

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

I think you mean a 4790K, but regardless, this seems like overheating due to poor mounting to me. Almost any aftermarket cooler is better than the Intel stock cooler. That said, if you want your CPU to really stretch its (metaphorical) legs with some overclocking I would recommend an AIO liquid cooler.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Ussualy TIM is pre-applied on Stock Coolers

But if he's gone from an AIO back to a stock cooler, chances are that he's wiped off the stock thermal paste after the stock coolers first use and replaced it this time around

thats the temps you get on the stock cooler you NEED a aftermarket cooler

He has water cooling. There is obviously something else going wrong

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Oh... smh I just read the topic and the temps my bad... 

theres no reasont o have a pc crash on stock cooler, let alone watercooling. I would rma if it's not oced, if it is oced, then try lowering oc.

Thanks for your input. The point of this post was to see if i should RMA it. It's only running the stock clock. But always runs the boost clock of 4400 mhz when in demanding games or applications. 

I would have to agree that the thermal paste could be the culprit.

Here is a techquick on thermal paste application and here is a good vid on how different application methods affect the spread.

What type of thermal compound are you using and what is the age of the tube?

What I usually do is to test to see how much I need to apply to get good coverage (yes this means placing and removing the heatsink and cleaning it each time but practice makes perfect).

If you are using a good paste and have good coverage you just may need to rma it.

I would have to agree that the thermal paste could be the culprit.

Here is a techquick on thermal paste application and here is a good vid on how different application methods affect the spread.

What type of thermal compound are you using and what is the age of the tube?

What I usually do is to test to see how much I need to apply to get good coverage (yes this means placing and removing the heatsink and cleaning it each time but practice makes perfect).

If you are using a good paste and have good coverage you just may need to rma it.

I don't care if the stock paste is toothpaste, if the cpu comes with a stock cooler and pre-applied paste, it better work oob. (Out of Box)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

I don't care if the stock paste is toothpaste, if the cpu comes with a stock cooler and pre-applied paste, it better work oob. (Out of Box)

Sir - He may not be using the stock paste as he has been using a watercooler as well. If the guy would just reply we could clear this all up

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Sir - He may not be using the stock paste as he has been using a watercooler as well. If the guy would just reply we could clear this all up

I didn't say he was using stock paste, I am simply saying if a cooler comes with stock paste, it god damn better work.

+1 this.

I didn't say he was using stock paste, I am simply saying if a cooler comes with stock paste, it god damn better work.

Myself (and probably others) are running on the supposition that he/she (for some reason) had to apply thermal paste as in the vast majority of persons experience's (myself included) factory applied thermal paste is good. There was no statement that the watercooling used was AiO, and most BYO waterblocks do not ship with thermal paste, and some persons will use the stock cooler to test the system while building prior to installing into a case with a mounted water cooling setup.

Regardless, testing the thermal paste with new is a quick and fairly cheap thing to test prior to RMA-ing the cpu.

I tested with the stock paste. I first used the system with water cooling and it was not as cool as i would like. I took the water cooling block on and off many times to ensure i got the paste right. Same result every time. I then went on to use the stock cooler cause i knew i would have a good case in an RMA if the stock cooler cannot keep the CPU cool. I used the preapplied thermal paste as it was the first time i put on the stock cooler and it wasn't installed on purchase. :)

(Sorry for not responding quicker) 

I think you mean a 4790K, but regardless, this seems like overheating due to poor mounting to me. Almost any aftermarket cooler is better than the Intel stock cooler. That said, if you want your CPU to really stretch its (metaphorical) legs with some overclocking I would recommend an AIO liquid cooler.

I currently have i custom loop where the cpu block is just hanging in the air while testing the stock cooler. I previously had an AMD Phenom ii 1100t x6 with the same water loop that would never pass 55 degrees. The i7 goes upwards 80 degrees under load on the water cooling.  

My bud has a 4790K and a Kraken x61 and doesn't go over 45c in P95

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I tested with the stock paste. I first used the system with water cooling and it was not as cool as i would like. I took the water cooling block on and off many times to ensure i got the paste right. Same result every time. I then went on to use the stock cooler cause i knew i would have a good case in an RMA if the stock cooler cannot keep the CPU cool. I used the preapplied thermal paste as it was the first time i put on the stock cooler and it wasn't installed on purchase. :)

(Sorry for not responding quicker) 

RMA sounds like the answer then! I haven't personally heard of this problem before but I'm sure it exists. 

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Further research has shown me that this is an issue that is known.

What motherboard are you using as it seems that some motherboards may not be setting the voltage/multiplier and such correctly.

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517#comment-16217

https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032?start=420&tstart=0

And the original page that led me to those two

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57357-For-anyone-who-has-a-4790k-running-hot-here-is-the-fix-that-worked-for-me

So it may be that the settings for voltage and such are set too high in the bios by default, take an hour or so and read through to get a better understanding, I found it interesting and I don't have a 4790k (lol!!)

Hrm Only time I even seen or herd of something like this happening was in my Nightblade same situation with the H80i. Problem was no air flow or room to pull air away from anything.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540