Throwing out old PC parts

atoff

Do you guys ever feel bad about tossing away old parts?  I've been decluttering my apartment as much as possible.  I don't really have the energy to sell or give away most of the stuff I come across, nor is any of it worth the time really.  I gave away a Q6600 system in an Antec Nine Hundred case, but threw away a few sata hard drives (500gb, 750GB), threw away many other miscellaneous parts, like older video cards, sound cards, and dvd burners.  

Btw, before anyone says it, yes, I know, hazmat.  All this junk went into a box that's picked up by a hazmat collector.  

But my point is, I look at some of the stuff and think, damn, this used to be expensive and awesome at one time.  Just came across a few more things now.  Sound Blaster Audigy SB1394.   :D EAX AdvancedHD even!!!!  

I don't throw out things. I'm a hoarder/collector.

And I don't have a whole lot of PC parts, but my brother has quite a bit :D

But generally, I dont throw away stuff. Never know when I might need it or when it becomes valuable 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What is throwing out old PC parts ? What does it mean ?

I dunno man, maybe it's like a music band or something

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Give them to me....

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Please stop throwing out perfectly good hardware, someone will find a use in it, regardless of age.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

If you aren't going to keep it, at least sell it on Craigslist for a few bucks. A q6600 system still fetches anywhere from $100 to $180 depending on the amount of ram and size of the HDD

I always sell them on Kijiji. No way am I keeping something for which I have no forseeable use. I used to keep everything under the "might need it someday" argument, but got extremely tired of having a ton of useless stuff. In fact, my lifestyle is now to try and own as little as possible. I still have too much stuff to be considered minimalist, but anything that isn't useful and doesn't really contribute to my well-being gets sold. It also makes me feel better about upgrading for no real reasons, since the old is funding part of the new.

I don't throw out things. I'm a hoarder/collector.

And I don't have a whole lot of PC parts, but my brother has quite a bit :D

But generally, I dont throw away stuff. Never know when I might need it or when it becomes valuable

;) Wait till you accumulate 10 years worth of old parts.  I've been hording too... "hmm, I KNOW I'll need this floppy drive some day!!"  :D

Please stop throwing out perfectly good hardware, someone will find a use in it, regardless of age.

I'm sure someone would, but I'm trying to declutter, not about to sit on this stuff waiting for people to come around to collect them.  Don't have the energy or time.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having piles of old gear.  I know my brother in law, who owns a repair / IT business, has piles of parts in his hazmat box every week.  It would just take too much work to give them away sometimes.  Especially when they're not worth anything to begin with.

hey dude! ill take/buy some stuff depending on what you have. i always love building rigs from scrap parts! :lol:

i5 4440 8gb ram zotac750

one big bag of dicks

If you aren't going to keep it, at least sell it on Craigslist for a few bucks. A q6600 system still fetches anywhere from $100 to $180 depending on the amount of ram and size of the HDD

I always sell them on Kijiji. No way am I keeping something for which I have no forseeable use. I used to keep everything under the "might need it someday" argument, but got extremely tired of having a ton of useless stuff. In fact, my lifestyle is now to try and own as little as possible. I still have too much stuff to be considered minimalist, but anything that isn't useful and doesn't really contribute to my well-being gets sold. It also makes me feel better about upgrading for no real reasons, since the old is funding part of the new.

Yeah, like I said, I don't have the energy to sell this stuff.  Lost my health about 4-5 years ago, so it's not worth the effort for me.  It's just junk cluttering up the place. I gave the PC to my sister's friend.  

;) Wait till you accumulate 10 years worth of old parts.  I've been hording too... "hmm, I KNOW I'll need this floppy drive some day!!"  :D

There are still some floppy drives in this house :)

I have about 12 years worth on Pokemon stuff. Mainly Pokemon cards, but also more.

Lots of Nintendo stuff in general.

Man, that's a lot of stuff I have hoarded/collected over the years

I generally keep Hard Drives, Working ATX/mATX Motherboards, Dual Core CPUs, Good Quality PSUs and RAM. The Cases unless they are extremely good quality I throw.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Lost my health about 4-5 years ago, so it's not worth the effort for me.

Truly sorry to hear that...

If my paypal was working I'd ebay a bunch of stuff (Q6600 shuttle, 7950, Lian Li case, silverstone HTPC case etc) I have lying around - but that not working plus the effort of posting things makes me just feel "meh". So for now it sits here doing nothing and I'll probably get to the point where I get so annoyed at it taking up space I'll probably just leave it for collection when they do their yearly round of weird and wonderful recycling.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Truly sorry to hear that...

Thanks.  But yeah, basically, when I have projects like this (decluttering), I have to wait for my sister to come by and help me go through the stuff.  It's never convenient for her, she's insanely busy, so tossing because the easiest route.

I always keep everything and build the best possible pc's with the stuff that i can for fun. from time to time i give some away, i gave my (now ex) girlfriend a pretty neat pc with a geforce 8600, 500 gb hdd and an old i3. another one might be incomming for my sisters birthday sometime :D

Usually throw out everything with the exception of old HDD's, rest of stuff are useless

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

I have quite a bit of stuff that's compatible with my PC, so I'm holding on to that for now.  the rest just may find its way to the classifieds here, if only to make sure it doesn't go to waste.  I'd rather give it to someone (providing he/she pays for shipping) than throw it away and let a perfectly good part end up on a landfill.

I reuse most of the parts that I can. I actually use a really cool old square heatsink as a letter holder. I sell all my other parts that are still valuable and the things that are not I either donate, or do things like overclock my moms old pentium processor without any fans in the case, open, in direct sunlight, and wait for the thing to explode. Have fun  :)

Not sure if anyone else said it, but some electronics stores have recycling programs. I live in a small town so there's no dedicated recycling business here, but Staples has a program for it.

Do you guys ever feel bad about tossing away old parts?  I've been decluttering my apartment as much as possible.  I don't really have the energy to sell or give away most of the stuff I come across, nor is any of it worth the time really.  I gave away a Q6600 system in an Antec Nine Hundred case, but threw away a few sata hard drives (500gb, 750GB), threw away many other miscellaneous parts, like older video cards, sound cards, and dvd burners.  

Btw, before anyone says it, yes, I know, hazmat.  All this junk went into a box that's picked up by a hazmat collector.  

But my point is, I look at some of the stuff and think, damn, this used to be expensive and awesome at one time.  Just came across a few more things now.  Sound Blaster Audigy SB1394.   :D EAX AdvancedHD even!!!!  

feel free to mail them to me instead

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Why throw it away when you can give it to me?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Why throw it away when you can give it to me?

Nope

I'm more Illegible to get them 

Because he had a hard drive.

I don't throw out PC parts, I keep them until I have enough parts to build a computer with, then I build it and give it to someone.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15