Will there be a stronger version of the GTX 980 ?

keycolony
Go to solution Solved by TheRetiredSlave,

Not using the same chip. The 980 uses a fully-enabled GM204, so the only way they could make a stronger card would be to make a larger chip. 

That would be the GM200, which is used in Titan X..

It would be fairly unlikely for them to release a ~$500-600 gaming card stronger than the 980 until AMD releases something that's competitive with 980.

I know that the Titan X is on the market now, and that this card mainly is the better version of the GTX 980 but  the Kepler cards were structured like this : first they released the GTX 770 the 970 today than the 780 the 980 today and than the Titan came ot obviously the Titan X today but then a little bit later the GTX 780 ti came out. Will there be something like the 780 ti on Maxwell architecture called 980 ti or something like that is worth waiting on. Ok i could buy a Titan X but this card is to expensive for me. So should i buy a GTX 980 and SLI them or should i just wait for a 980 ti or how it will be called then ?

I don't think so.
I think the chip is pretty much maxed out on the gtx980.

They talked about it in the latest WAN show, and they figured out it probably wont come a 980ti

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

There might be a trimmed down big maxwell  on the 980Ti IF they release it. But a GM 204 better than the one in the 980? Not happening.

Well, it won't be a direct derivative of GTX 980, because GTX 980 is already the full chip.

A cut-down version of Titan X is more likely, but don't expect nVidia to launch it until AMD releases it's new lineup of GPUs.

Not using the same chip. The 980 uses a fully-enabled GM204, so the only way they could make a stronger card would be to make a larger chip. 

That would be the GM200, which is used in Titan X..

It would be fairly unlikely for them to release a ~$500-600 gaming card stronger than the 980 until AMD releases something that's competitive with 980.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I don't think so.

I think the chip is pretty much maxed out on the gtx980.

It's not pretty much maxed out - it is maxed out. The GTX 980 is using a full blown GM204 chip. The only thing you could do more with that chip is overclock it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you think about that the 980 is 650$ and the Titan X is 1000$, the performance gain is high, but not so high that another card would fit into it, imagine the 980ti or however would be around 800$ but performing a bit worse than the titan, don't really think so. 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

But a GM 204 better than the one in the 980? Not happening.

Because the chip is already utilized to the fullest in terms of hardware that's in use.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

We may see a 960ti and maybe a dual-gpu 990 like in the 600-series

(pure speculation)

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4