HP stream 14-z001na

Jambls

I have had this laptop for  few weeks now and I think it is now time for a review.  

Ladeez and gentlemen, I am proud to present, my review of the HP stream 14-z001na.  

I will start with what Linus always starts with, and that is the packaging. Mine came in a fairly plain box with a charger and with two soft, closed cell foam things that came on each end of the laptop but as I got a refurbished model, your mileage may vary.  

The lid and the keyboard area are made of metal, which leady to very little flex in the keyboard, the bottom of it are not, which is interesting as this laptop is passively cooled. There is two USB 2 ports and one USB 3, a micro SD card reader that can be used to expand the measly 32gigs of on board storage as well as a four pole audio jack and a charger plug. There is two speakers on the bottom and two speakers below the screen along with a beets audio logo above the speakers on the hinge for the screen. The screen is 768x1366 and I can't comment on the colours as I have no good monitors in the house (poor people problems). The beets audio speakers are pretty good according to my semi-audiophile brother (@bear-in-the-air) but he says they lack some mids. The keyboard is a compact size chiclet keyboard that is nice to type on coming from a membrane keyboard and I can type quite fast on it. The trackpad is large and you can click if you push on it anywhere (except the area that is obviously the right click area) which I have never seen before but having got used to it is weird to use an ordinary trackpad.  

On the inside, there is a quad core AMD apu that turbos from 1ghz to 1.6ghz, 2gigs of RAM, 32gigs of solid state storage and a battery. Due to the lack of moving parts (apart from the KB/mouse) this thing is completely silent when on which is nice when your main rig is ridiculously loud (you can hear it from downstairs) (poor people problems). It comes with windows8 which is bearable and I have been playing some games on it. Yep. You read that right. Granted it was castle crashers, all the half lifes and terraria but that is still games.  

The reason I spent £170 on a refurbished one of these and not a second hand laptop was portability. At this price, I would be looking at a desktop replacement which are heavy and thick and since I have a desktop, this little HP will be travelling with me. 

TL;DR Mostly metal, mostly good, decent audio and screen, games, £170 for a refurbished one, and incredibly hard to beat for the price.post-109353-0-24445900-1426882905_thumb.post-109353-0-50490400-1426882925_thumb.

Sorry for the potato pics

I'm not an audiophile and the quote didn't work. nice review though why is it lacking in storage and why is that okay?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have been looking at these. nice review! :)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5