[Beware] Windows 8.1 Preview + Lucid Virtue MVP

farchord

Hey guys,

This is just a warning for those using Windows 8.1 preview, seems the Lucid Virtue feature on (at least the Haswell ones) cpus makes Windows 8.1 BSOD right after installing the driver.

Had to go in safe mode to uninstall the software, and in the BIOS to disable LV.

Figured I'd warn people in case some use it!

Edited by farchord

How is 8.1? Is it an improvement over the standard version of 8?

There is likely to be bugs with this update since it is in beta at the moment.

How is 8.1? Is it an improvement over the standard version of 8?

Yes, you can boot to the desktop now.

The Start button is a joke, though.

Yes, you can boot to the desktop now.

The Start button is a joke, though.

I use classic start. You can also disable the login screen and boot to the desktop in standard 8 anyway. 

Is it faster for gaming?

I use classic start. You can also disable the login screen and boot to the desktop in standard 8 anyway. 

Is it faster for gaming?

Not that I know of. Even the difference between W7 and 8 is negligible for most people, I wouldn't expect any miracles from 8.1.

Not that I know of. Even the difference between W7 and 8 is negligible for most people, I wouldn't expect any miracles from 8.1.

Going from Win7 to Win8 gave me performance boosts. It just wasn't worth the hassle to get all the features I wanted. 

Same for me, Going from Windows 7 to 8 gave quite substantial performance increases, not so much in games but Photoshop and Aftereffects both had noticeable increases, I haven't been bothered to try 8.1 yet because really, I have no need, or no desire to move up, Once I get my damn start button and start menu back then I might switch, I know you can use Classic Start and I do, but once it comes back for real then I might switch, right now the start button is just a joke, It takes you back to the new UI Metro I think it is called, but yeah, that is my take on the idea,

Thanks for the heads up anyway, I know my rant didn't have much to do with your topic, ( sorry )

Nathan  

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

See... Before, I was an advocate of the 'I hate Windows 8's lack of a classic start menu' bandwagon, but since 8.1....

Yes, there's a start menu now, and it does still go to metro. But it's still so close to the normal menu that I don't think I mind anymore.

I press start, the Arrow down to get to all apps, and select the app I want in the ALPHABETIZED list.

What did I do on the old start menu?

Start, All programs, and select the app I want in the ALPHABETIZED list.

Really not sure it's worth bitching about anymore, in my case anyway...