I was looking at stuff on KickStarter and found this fairly neat USB cable concept, what do you guys think?

I think if the micro USB and the female USB are around $10 each for the final product I'd buy two or three of them just for my old Sony laptop that has 3 total USB ports but 2 of them have failed over the last 6 years. I use the laptop to little to justify buying a new one. But if I want to move data between 2 external drives while using the laptop, I need to move the data to the local drive first then swap external drives for the final move, and that's just one of the situations I would like to have something like this for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/668098663/infiniteusb-one-usb-port-unlimited-devices

Excuse me if I missed something, but wouldn't it be better just to buy a USB hub and not have this large, easily breakable tower of wires sticking out of your machine. I guess its fine with just two of these, but more than that you'd risk breaking your port every time you move.

Sorry if my post offended your entire family, but I get kind of defensive when I'm high...

Clever but only a good idea if you stack a few of them, anymore than five is asking for a damaged USB port.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Computer USB ports have a limited bandwidth, so not its not infinite because only a certain number of devices can be working at one time.

This is why there arent any 100 USB port hubs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Computer USB ports have a limited bandwidth, so not its not infinite because only a certain number of devices can be working at one time.

This is why there arent any 100 USB port hubs.

Well, technically USB supports up to 127 devices per host controller, but the biggest hub I've seen so far was a 50 port one. 

The cables seem like a good idea, until you think about it more. You can do the stuff they do with a hub and don't have the risk of breaking your usb port.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

i'm pretty sure theres a limit to how many hubs you can stack, hence this isnt really "infinite" if i recall, the farthest you can go is 4 or 5 hubs behind each other.

Or. Buy a laptop with more than one or two USB plugs. (Lookin at you Macbook.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Well, technically USB supports up to 127 devices per host controller, but the biggest hub I've seen so far was a 50 port one. 

The cables seem like a good idea, until you think about it more. You can do the stuff they do with a hub and don't have the risk of breaking your usb port.

That depends on the device. A webcam will use more bandwidth than a USB drive, and there is a bandwidth limit of I think 6 or 8 lanes per port.

The 50 port hubs are for charging, or stuff like USB ASIC miners.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Clever but only a good idea if you stack a few of them, anymore than five is asking for a damaged USB port.

I totally agree for 3 devices (2 of these cable)  its a great idea but any more then that and you risk damage to the USB ports. 

I totally agree for 3 devices (2 of these cable)  its a great idea but any more then that and you risk damage to the USB ports. 

I think it would be smarter to use it on a USB hub that had the ports arranged vertically, instead of horizontally. That way you have less of a chance of damaging the ports, hubs similar to this one with only a few ports would be idea for that connector as it would add more ports but not add that much of a risk of damage.

41N8fGDCj%2BL.jpg

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"