A Look At HBM Used In Fiji

Opcode

Source

b724e8cbc42b8bcdfbbb57d439c78aab_L.jpg

We had a chance to see the Hynix HMB memory of the future, and even see a next generation HBM2 wafer with many of these next-generation dies.

High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) is what will be used in the GPUs of the future, and at this point the concept hardly needs an introduction. The first generation of HBM will be used in AMD Fiji, a GPU that is expected to come in the next few months.

hbm12.jpg

hbm-memory-gddr5-comparison.jpg

Quite impressive fitting 8GB into a chip smaller than a tablet of Aspirin.

Source

Quite impressive fitting 8GB into a chip smaller than a tablet of Aspirin.

To be fair, tablets of aspirin can get prety big

big-aspirin1.jpg

good to finally see some pics for context tho!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Least we're not totally in the dark about 390x development...AMD really need to kick it into gear...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

so will the 390x have HBM gen 1 or 2?

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

HBM1

what about the 8GB 390x version of the rumors?, how will they fit all the HBM if they use gen 1?

HBM1

Which would make the recent leak about it using 8GB's fake? or are they still able to push past the supposed 4GB limitation with HBM1? Unless it's the WCE version of the card that uses HBM2 with 8GB's to be released later as a special edition.

what about the 8GB 390x version of the rumors?, how will they fit all the HBM if they use gen 1?

they can just hold the 8GB version till HMB2 is here, or somehow make it work with HMB1

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

they can just hold the 8GB version till HMB2 is here, or somehow make it work with HMB1

Which would make the recent leak about it using 8GB's fake? or are they still able to push past the supposed 4GB limitation with HBM1? Unless it's the WCE version of the card that uses HBM2 with 8GB's to be released later as a special edition.

There has been recent info regarding the 4gb limit saying it's not actually a limit and that someone misconstrued the 390x's limitations.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

There has been recent info regarding the 4gb limit saying it's not actually a limit and that someone misconstrued the 390x's limitations.

oh, so its a stack limit then? just have 2x 4GB modules?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

so, they can just put more modules eh? or something like that

AMD's leaked slides suggest dual-linked modules (2x1GB) x 4 = 8GB.

I also heard somewhere that 4GB of the WCE's 8 is HBM, and the other 4GB is GDDR5. Keep that in mind as well.

I also heard somewhere that 4GB of the WCE's 8 is HBM, and the other 4GB is GDDR5. Keep that in mind as well.

That was just the speculation of a LTT forum member, nothing else. Don't put too much into it.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

A bad rumor started by one of our own community members. It would make no point for AMD to pipe GDDR5 from the PCB when they could just run stacks of dual linked HBM.

AMD_R9_390X_Folien_5-pcgh.jpg

A bad rumor started by one of our own community members. It would make no point for AMD to pipe GDDR5 from the PCB when they could just run stacks of dual linked HBM.

AMD_R9_390X_Folien_5-pcgh.jpg

That's if they can. HBM was not designed with inter-communication between the chips in mind like HMC was.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There was never a 4GB limitation on the R9 390X. It was just a (badly) made up story by Fudzilla. Who claimed that the interposer can't fit more than 4GB an utterly false and uneducated claim.

HBM1 CAN in fact be used in 8GB configurations, however the only difference between an 8GB HBM1 and HBM2 configuration is the total bandwidth. As HBM2 runs at twice the frequency you're looking at double the bandwidth.

So with the R9 390X running 8GB of HBM1 at 1.25Ghz we're looking at 640GB/S of bandwidth, nearly three times as much as a GTX 980 (224GB/S). Once AMD moves over to HBM2 (which they mention in the slide above) the bandwidth will double to 1.28 Terabytes/s , just from the frequency increase alone.

That's if they can. HBM was not designed with inter-communication between the chips in mind like HMC was.

According to that slide they can - "New HBM dual-link interposing enables larger capacities"

That was terrible speculation and it didn't make any sense.